Scotland 2022

fastbob

Well it's that time of year folks . A perfect journey so far . Avoided the showers , no stoppages . I decided to stick to the M6 this year and I'm glad I did . Once I got past Lancaster the traffic suddenly vanished and the Lake District section was absolutely stunning in the evening sunshine . It's actually a shame you can't stop and take pictures . I'm at Tebay Services at the moment . Think I'll just keep going all the way into Scotland as it's such a beautiful evening . 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Last time I rode that route, as I passed the "Welcome to Scotland" sign the heavens opened. Wish I was there raining or not.

Well it's funny you should say that . It was a lovely sunny morning here in Crawford. Then it started to rain and it hasn't stopped. Flicking through the various weather forecasts for Scotland it appears to be raining everywhere for the week ahead .So I have reached a decision. F**k it ! I'm coming home . There really is no point to this . 

IMG_20220626_113315028.jpg

• Sad 5

21 hours ago, fastbob said:

Well it's that time of year folks . A perfect journey so far . Avoided the showers , no stoppages . I decided to stick to the M6 this year and I'm glad I did . Once I got past Lancaster the traffic suddenly vanished and the Lake District section was absolutely stunning in the evening sunshine . It's actually a shame you can't stop and take pictures . I'm at Tebay Services at the moment . Think I'll just keep going all the way into Scotland as it's such a beautiful evening . 

Tebay services are the best in the country.. no argument!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fastbob said:

Well it's funny you should say that . It was a lovely sunny morning here in Crawford. Then it started to rain and it hasn't stopped. Flicking through the various weather forecasts for Scotland it appears to be raining everywhere for the week ahead .So I have reached a decision. F**k it ! I'm coming home . There really is no point to this . 

IMG_20220626_113315028.jpg

A man’s gotta know his limitations & You’ve made absolutely the right decision, wet misery is no fun 

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

A man’s gotta know his limitations & You’ve made absolutely the right decision, wet misery is no fun 

Yeah , If the riding is no fun there's no point in going to Scotland . I hadn't even got to the M8 which is a nerve racking experience in the dry . The thought of Loch Lomond , Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe in driving rain was too horrible to contemplate . I've just battled my way back  down to Carlisle in fierce crosswinds and then onto the M6 which was worse . Shap Fell was bloody awful so I just got behind a lorry and matched it's pace at a safe distance for a ...f**k me ! A branch just fell out of a tree and landed on my picnic table ! ... hundred miles and then the rain stopped . So here I am back at Sandbach Services Steeling myself for the final push  .

• Like 3

We're doing Scotland in The Campervan this year! Main 2 holiday weeks July/Aug.

no specific route planned but we have sites booked starting in Gretna then going clockwise

round the top and ending up in Northumberland for the last night of 15

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, rennie said:

no specific route planned but we have sites booked starting in Gretna then going clockwise

Are you sticking to campsites, some great places along the way that aren't 😁 

Where you planing in Northumberland I can offer a few suggestions 😁 

4 hours ago, fastbob said:

Yeah , If the riding is no fun there's no point in going to Scotland . I hadn't even got to the M8 which is a nerve racking experience in the dry . The thought of Loch Lomond , Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe in driving rain was too horrible to contemplate . I've just battled my way back  down to Carlisle in fierce crosswinds and then onto the M6 which was worse . Shap Fell was bloody awful so I just got behind a lorry and matched it's pace at a safe distance for a ...f**k me !

Brings back memories of the one time me and a mate went to Scotland, storm came in during the day, we were based in Strathyre, had got just above Fort Augustus when the rain really came down.

Getting back over Glen coe/rannoch moor we came across 2 Harleys on there sides, one totalled in a ditch. The wind was so strong we stopped, and as we did a BMW and Honda coming the other way both went down, in the end their were 6 bikes on the deck.

Don't think i'll ever forget that trip! Scared the hell out of me. So I know where you are coming from Bob.

And Shap summit😬!

Hope you get back safe and well👍

2 hours ago, rennie said:

Would love to do Campervan trip round Scotland, and stop at places we never seem to get time for!! Maybe one year.

But good luck on your trip. Not sure I could put up with the Midges in July/August😟

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldgrump said:

Brings back memories of the one time me and a mate went to Scotland, storm came in during the day, we were based in Strathyre, had got just above Fort Augustus when the rain really came down.

Getting back over Glen coe/rannoch moor we came across 2 Harleys on there sides, one totalled in a ditch. The wind was so strong we stopped, and as we did a BMW and Honda coming the other way both went down, in the end their were 6 bikes on the deck.

Don't think i'll ever forget that trip! Scared the hell out of me. So I know where you are coming from Bob.

And Shap summit😬!

I did get back safe and well . I rode the B 7076 / A7 that runs parallel to the M74 all the way back to Carlisle . I was hitting standing water a lot of the time but at least it had some tree cover to shield me from the wind ( I didn't know Wind Turbines could spin that fast ! )  Then there was nothing else for it but to hit the M6 and hope for the best . Thankfully all the other drivers were behaving according to the conditions so I just hung on in there . The spray wasn't too bad because it was going sideways !  The Harley took it all rather well to be fair and I got to wondering how a fully laden " Adventure Bike would have coped especially with those bloody great filing cabinets they stick on the back . Once I got past the Lakes it brightened up and the rest of the trip was uneventful . 

• Like 2

On 27/06/2022 at 00:10, oldgrump said:

And Shap summit😬!

I've got an image in my mind of where that might have happened . I've done that road in some atrocious conditions and it's not for the faint hearted . There are sections where even in good weather subsidence or potholes could tip a bike off the edge . The lack of any kerb or hedges can also disorientate and deceive . And then there is the real possibility of a Stag strolling into the road right in front of you . That actually happened to me years ago . I got so close I swear I heard it's hooves as it leapt out of the way !

Edited by fastbob

8 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I've got an image in my mind of where that might have happened . I've done that road in some atrocious conditions and it's not for the faint hearted . There are sections where even in good weather subsidence or potholes could tip a bike off the edge . The lack of any kerb or hedges can also disorientate and deceive . And then there is the real possibility of a Stag strolling into the road right in front of you . That actually happened to me years ago . I got so close I swear I heard it's hooves as it leapt out of the way !

Do the B7076 when it's pissing down, find it easier like you than the M74, less spray and standing water, even done down though the lakes to keep off M6 if it's really blowing.

And talking about Stag's, remember 1 evening on the Scottish rally years ago, 4 of us stopped at the Bettyhill Hotel for a evening meal, we then left there at 22.30 to ride down the B871/B873 going pass Loch Naver we witness some very large Stag's in the headlamps + some very small frogs mice etc in the road. Made for a very interesting ride😂 before carrying on to checkpoints at Fort Augustus, Fort William, and Oban.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

goes to scotland .. get wet ... or eaten by Midges ..... expensive and scruffy... wonder why most people head onto the continent ....

Compared to down south its a bargain 😁 

Scruffy? Possibly city centers but so is every one in the UK. 

Rain yes it rains but it still looks nice and keeps the midges away, till it stops 😂 

When the rain stops if the wind does too you are eaten alive. Have to agree camping in the rain sucks. Don't mind being out in rain  but a good hot bath and somewhere to dry your kit is fairly essential imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

When the rain stops if the wind does too you are eaten alive. Have to agree camping in the rain sucks. Don't mind being out in rain  but a good hot bath and somewhere to dry your kit is fairly essential imo. 

Not everywhere 😂 some places are relatively midge free where as some places are most certainly not. 

Glencoe Village is so so, glencoe glen is interesting, Glen etive is off the map 😂 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

goes to scotland .. get wet ... or eaten by Midges ..... expensive and scruffy... wonder why most people head onto the continent ....

IMG_20210622_131706358_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2022 at 19:46, fastbob said:

EDIT: What I didn't mention at the time was that the entire road from just past Gretna all the way to Moffat was infested with hundreds of cyclists . The road was wet and steaming and the setting sun was full in my face but that didn't deter the selfish bast*rds from riding four abreast in group after group . They went on like this for mile after endless mile and not one of them would move out of the way . If I did overtake they wouldn't let me back onto the left hand lane and no amount of horn tooting or shouting would persuade them otherwise . I hope I'm on hundreds of Go Pro's so the arrogant c***s can hear exactly what I thought of them . 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

That would boil my piss as well. I've never understood why some knobber on a pedal bike thinks it's alright for him to block an entire country lane and end up with any number of frustrated car drivers stuck behind him at 15 mph if you are lucky. 

• Like 2