Kit

Davidtav

Need to buy some decent kit!  Just ridden from Yorkshire to West Scotland in torrential rain for hours. I was literally soaked to the skin!  I did buy average gear when I returned to biking three years ago. It is time to upgrade!  I would welcome suggestions … and I would just ask. How do you all get on putting your gloves back on when they are soaked and you stopped for petrol?  Was really struggling to push my fingers down the right places. Anyway enough of my rant. I would properly appreciate suggestions. Except taking the car next time. Weirdly I like the bike

• Like 2

My over jacket is an Oxford one that was pretty cheap from J&S and it's kept me bone dry. My over trousers are Richa and they work just as well.

I've never found gloves that are 100% waterproof. If it's wet I carry a spare pair. But I also carry some very thin plastic disposable gloves I can slip under the gloves if they get soaked. They keep my hands dry and they slide into wet gloves. You just have to dry your hands to get them on though.

• Like 4

+1 for the overjacket & rain warrior trousers if it is really chucking it down

I have some Richa waterproof gloves that I keep spraying on waterproofer and have not got wet yet 

For normal rain I have an alpinestars drystar jacket + a New oxford mondial jacket and Richa Textile trousers 

Oh that’s interesting. Yes I have this Frank Thomas stuff. Wasn’t the very basic. But not premium either. And to be fair it has been ok up to now. Yeah I need to think about stuff

Putting a guide budget will help with suggestions, but I use the below.

Alpinestars Ketchum Gore-tex is my daily jacket which has kept me dry a few times.

Alpinestars Drystar Pants

[url=https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/alpinestars-hurricane-rain-jacket-black-25105?searchId=5305346&qId=e2ed9b8b54738d9bb9032bf3ed36ebd9&variant=138783]Alpinestars Hurricane Rain Jacket[/url]

Oxford Rainseal banana suit It works but you'll look a bit stupid

Gloves as said, in my short biking time I've yet to find a dry pair. Carry a spare set and some rubber gloves.

Do NOT buy Oxford Rainseal overtrousers.

I bought a pair 3 weeks ago, before my trip around Eastern Europe.

I put them on 3 times and took them off twice, the third time they came off using the Leatherman and stayed in a skip on Rotterdam docks.

• Haha 4

The only 100% waterproof gear has the word Gortex in the description. 

I have a Rukka 2 piece suit I’ve had since 2015 and can’t even remember the model name that is still 100% waterproof. 
Last year I traveled from Grimsby to Grantham for my service at the beginning of May. It pissed it down on the way there and the bike was sideways on the A1M the wind was howling that hard. One the way home the temp dropped to 2 deg and with that came the hailstorm. Once through that I hit the pouring rain again. At one point I met an oncoming wagon as we both hit a dip in the road at the same time. It chucked a wave of water all over me up to the top of my lid!

A few seconds later I thought the water had got through somewhere as I felt soaked. Soon after I realised I wasn’t wet, it was that the water was freezing cold. That sensation soon went away and I was really surprised to find that I was bone dry when I got home and took my gear off. 

The boots I was wearing are TCX Baja Gortex, bone dry feet

The glove’s I was wearing are Rukka Imatra Gortex, again bone dry hands. 

I got the suit the suit in a sale and it’s been a proper investment. I’m a fair weather rider but know if I do get caught out I’m going to stay dry and most of comfortable. I remember the days of being wet through on rides and it not fun.

There are bargains out there to be had on Gortex kit.
Look on SportsBikeShop for Gortex and I’m sure you’ll find kit in your budget.  

• Like 2

I've been using the hinterland jacket and trousers from Oxford. 

Been caught out in horrible weather as I commute year round on my bike. I think it's fantastic value especially for a laminated kit and kept me bone dry. There's a removable liner to keep you warm and there's 5 large vents you can open in warmer weather. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gymwitch said:

I have a Rukka all in one rain suit £40. Goretex evotech boots £150 and goretex rukka gloves £60. The suit is the main job. Its brilliant. 

rain suit from a builders supply 100% waterproof

• Like 1

Hi

Me and the missus both have RST Atlas jackets & trousers and have had no issues regarding being waterproof. They were put to the test during our trip to Italy when we were twice in heavy rain and both times our base layers were bone dry when we reached our hotel stops.

they aren't the most expensive but they not the cheapest, we got ours from MSG Bike Gear> I also added a pair of long touring gloves by RST and they are waterproof also as per the test above. We both have boots by Black and they are so comfy straight from the box you could forget you've got em on. They are double zipped with the breathable waterproof liner which also keeps your feet warm when it gets a bit colder.

From memory the jackets were £199, the trousers £99, boots £89 and gloves £49 along with free 2 day delivery I thought that was a good deal for two full suits with boots plus a pair of gloves.

I'm a Rukka slaag.

Over the years I have bought many items of clothing that claim they're waterproof, they might well be for an hour or two, and I cant be mithered with Oxford shite over suits. Never again would I buy an Oxford item of clothing (just my opinion :thumb:). I saved my pocket money and took the plunge with Rukka Laminate   

• Like 4