Helmets: sport vs touring

Other than certifications, is there any shape difference between a specific sportsbike helmet and any other full face helmet? I understand that many touring helmets might have additional features like internal sun visor. but as far as actual shape is concerned?  My Shoei GT air is 40,000 miles old so I suppose its close to start looking for the next lid.  It has always felt like If I lean forward into a more sport position I'm looking through the top of the visor.  If I get any lower, I'm blind.

My understanding is that touring helmets are designed so you look through the visor sat up, but sports are designed so the visor is looked through when leaning forward. My experience is that it varies between helmets irrespective of whether it is sold as sports or touring, and with some I can lean quite far forward and I am still looking through the middle of the visor, but with others I am looking through the top of the visor.

Heads, Helmets and bikes are all linked.  Some helmets are quite on a naked bike and noisy as hell on fully faired.

I know I had that combination for a whilst, there is no one right helmet.

As others have suggested look at your sitting position look at the way wind travels over your helmet.

The noise on the faired bike was caused by a small gap in the visor mechanism…

Odd that the answers went on a tangent.  Obviously all helmets are shaped differently some are noisier than others, but but since helmets are sometimes marketed as "touring" and "sports" I was looking for the generic difference between two markering ideas.

Anyway I think I have the answer.  Thanks.

A lot of threads here go off on tangents.  Just be grateful no one mentioned biscuits.

My tuppence worth. My sports helmet is lighter, noisier and more uncomfortable.  My touring helmet is a lot more pleasant to wear.

12 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

A lot of threads here go off on tangents.  Just be grateful no one mentioned biscuits.

My tuppence worth. My sports helmet is lighter, noisier and more uncomfortable.  My touring helmet is a lot more pleasant to wear.

Cookie monster helmet? 

images.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 01/07/2022 at 02:50, S-Westerly said:

You can't eat biscuits in a full face helmet.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pbassred said:

You can't eat biscuits in a full face helmet.  

I often stop for a break for 5 minutes to look at the view, take pictures and swig some water from a Sigg bottle I carry on the bike, all without removing my flip-front helmet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keith1200rs said:

I often stop for a break for 5 minutes to look at the view, take pictures and swig some water from a Sigg bottle I carry on the bike, all without removing my flip-front helmet.

You can do all this and not eat biscuits 😨

19 hours ago, onesea said:

You can do all this and not eat biscuits 😨

Or having chewing gum while you ride... 🙄

I would consider a carbon fiber helmet, they are far lighter and prices are coming down big time.

5 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I have an AGV sport modular lid so have the best of both worlds 😃 

I tried one of those and it didn't fit me at all. One size was way too large, next size down just about crushed my jaw.