Don’t feel like riding at the moment, and that scares me😅

Troy

This could very well be ANOTHER one of my strange threads but bare with me if you can…..

Just this year, I have noticed I’m not really that fussed about riding anymore. Which is strange really because I was hyped to see Rossi at Brands Hatch, I even got the BSB booked in for July, and I was excited to see the TT on TV again except I didn’t make any time to watch it despite me subbing to it.

I’m into my cars as well and I’ve just purchased myself a new Fiesta ST which is loads of fun to drive. Though not as quick as my bike, it still puts a smile on your face, especially with the limited slip diff 😁

Anyway….. am I starting to fall out of love with riding or is this just a normal phase that happens among us lot? Has anyone else felt something similar?

Edited by Troy

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes! 

I have been there! 

A change of bike helped me :lol: 

That’s the thing though, I really like the bike I have! One day, I’d like to get a second bike. I have a soft spot for a Street Triple, I’d happily own another one of those.

• Like 1

Often. I find myself struggling to find the enthusiasm to get the bike out and go for a ride. I have to set a target (a place to ride to) and ensure I ride there and not just around and about. I know, once I'm on the bike its doing good for my mental health. :thumb:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Troy said:

That’s the thing though, I really like the bike I have! One day, I’d like to get a second bike. I have a soft spot for a Street Triple, I’d happily own another one of those.

I have a soft spot for the TL1000s especially my old one that my brother has! I always said I would have it back in a heartbeat 

Well that option came up last night and I've said no :shock: 

So far :lol: 

I came to that decision because I had it in for repair last year and took it for a ride to "test" it and I bloody hated it :lol: I think I have got used to the armchair riding styles now :? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Often. I find myself struggling to find the enthusiasm to get the bike out and go for a ride. I have to set a target (a place to ride to) and ensure I ride there and not just around and about. I know, once I'm on the bike its doing good for my mental health. :thumb:

Yes, I agree with that! I have to have a destination and a purpose to go out such as meeting up with some friends or family or a day trip somewhere. I’m not  one for going out and just seeing where the road takes me.

Edited by Troy

I've been feeling the same most of the year. Just came back from a weekend away on the bike with a friend and that seems to have rekindled some of the magic.

At the moment, I am pleasure riding less fuel costs as @billy sugger says.
New car new toy newness will wear off, as others say plan a destination.

The year after COVID I did very few miles, the road manners where appalling. I would not ride with my daughter pillion and was very cautious about my riding.

We all have little stages. 

I am more in to just heading off somewhere for a spin 

No plan just out 

Not too bothered about the price of petrol at the mo seems to be hanging around €2.15 L although you do notice it filling up 

When I got the Versys 2 years ago it cost about €16 to fill & when i filled up on Saturday it was €30

I usually get about 380 KM to a tank full 

Working from home still after 2 years I get out at lunchtime for a spin

And get out almost every day weather permitting 

I guess I am lucky to be living close to the Wicklow mountains and can just throw some bars crisps and a flask of coffee in to the topbox and within a few mins im in the sticks 

Edited by V650
  • Like 1

Not an unusual feeling at all @Troy I've been the same quite a lot not been very well physically then mentally. I made a point of going somewhere with stunning scenery and stopped off at some good places to get me back into it. As I'm working from home currently I'm not commuting, I'm only riding when I'm on the mood as I've noticed I don't enjoy it otherwise and my riding is not so good so I don't see the point. 

5 hours ago, V650 said:

I guess I am lucky to be living close to the Wicklow mountains and can just throw some bars crisps and a flask of coffee in to the topbox and within a few mins im in the sticks 

Back in 1999 I  worked in Ireland installing Sky Digital.

There was about 25 of us flying around in white Astra 2 L turbo Diesel vans 😂

I was over there for around 8 months and we stayed at the holiday houses next to the Elephant & Castle (as it's called now) opposite the Potter's Point Golf Club (as it's called now).
We often used to fly over Sally Gap in the dark in the the van's! It's stunning in the daylight.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wicklow,+Ireland/@52.904506,-6.043596,1765m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4867b0b5d9502859:0x284e79fbf541a3e7!8m2!3d52.9808207!4d-6.044589?hl=en

Even went  down to Cork for a week's work.

I plan to go back on the bike one day.

Sorry, off topic. Actually...

I'm going thorugh a bit of a phase of not wanting to go out on the bike much this year. Think I've been out a bout 5-6 times :shock:

2022-06-28 12_53_37-Google Maps — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

Can't wait to get home, pick my bike up from its kennels and take a very random ride home just for the hell of it. I have no problems with motivation to ride a motorbike bike. Household chores zero motivation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Back in 1999 I  worked in Ireland installing Sky Digital.

There was about 25 of us flying around in white Astra 2 L turbo Diesel vans 😂

I was over there for around 8 months and we stayed at the holiday houses next to the Elephant & Castle (as it's called now) opposite the Potter's Point Golf Club (as it's called now).
We often used to fly over Sally Gap in the dark in the the van's! It's stunning in the daylight.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wicklow,+Ireland/@52.904506,-6.043596,1765m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4867b0b5d9502859:0x284e79fbf541a3e7!8m2!3d52.9808207!4d-6.044589?hl=en

Even went  down to Cork for a week's work.

I plan to go back on the bike one day.

Sorry, off topic. Actually...

I'm going thorugh a bit of a phase of not wanting to go out on the bike much this year. Think I've been out a bout 5-6 times :shock:

2022-06-28 12_53_37-Google Maps — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Small World 

In 1999 I was also zipping round the Wicklow area installing the MMDS microwave TV service for a crowd called Cable& Utilitys

Probably passed each other many times :-)

Im only about 5 min's from the Elephant & Castle ( McDaniels ) and brittas bay beach 

Edited by V650

I've not long had my licence and but during the week I've just not got the energy to get kitted up and get the bike out after work.

I've also found comments (e.g. you could come and meet us but it might be too far and I'm not sure if I'll still be there) from seasoned bikers I know don't help motivate me much.

As a relatively new biker I'm still navigating my way through the biking community and have met quite a few people who are helpful and understanding which is keeping my want to get out there alive 👍🙏

• Like 3

On 28/06/2022 at 17:11, cloughie24 said:

I've not long had my licence and but during the week I've just not got the energy to get kitted up and get the bike out after work.

I've also found comments (e.g. you could come and meet us but it might be too far and I'm not sure if I'll still be there) from seasoned bikers I know don't help motivate me much.

As a relatively new biker I'm still navigating my way through the biking community and have met quite a few people who are helpful and understanding which is keeping my want to get out there alive 👍🙏

Yeah it can be a bit of a chore to get all the gear on to get out there 

but once you are out it is a real stress breaker 

I am lucky that I live close to the Wicklow mountains and within a few mins i can be somewhere like this 

I would say keep at it and make an effort to get out n about on the bike and stop off for a coffee somewhere scenic there is always someone that will stop and talk to you about your bike :-)

V.jpg

Edited by V650
  • Like 4

Took your advice and got kitted up Tuesday evening, grabbed a mate and headed off to a not too distant reservoir. Some great little country roads and a beautiful view at the end actually made it a perfect evening 👍

• Like 3

Change your bike for something completely different ( And bigger ) You've done the wizzy race rep thing so try a Harley or an Adventure Bike or better still , buy a scrapper and build a custom bike . This life choice has many facets and like anything else you don't want to get stuck in a rut . There's very little you can get out of a CBR6 that you haven't got out of it already . 

• Like 1

I don't ride my bike for months at a time!

I'm getting old, my knees are knackered and I work too many long nightshifts.

I've tried being without a bike, that didn't work

my bike doesn't owe me anything, insurance etc. is fairly cheap.

Occasionally, when I do get out and ride it, I still love it!

That'll do for me! :thumb:

• Like 3

The world is full of ex bikers . There's no shame in it . It's only a relatively small band of nutters like me who make some kind of life long obsession of it . 

Screenshot_20210519-140510.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2022 at 21:43, Troy said:

This could very well be ANOTHER one of my strange threads but bare with me if you can…..

Just this year, I have noticed I’m not really that fussed about riding anymore. Which is strange really because I was hyped to see Rossi at Brands Hatch, I even got the BSB booked in for July, and I was excited to see the TT on TV again except I didn’t make any time to watch it despite me subbing to it.

I’m into my cars as well and I’ve just purchased myself a new Fiesta ST which is loads of fun to drive. Though not as quick as my bike, it still puts a smile on your face, especially with the limited slip diff 😁

Anyway….. am I starting to fall out of love with riding or is this just a normal phase that happens among us lot? Has anyone else felt something similar?

I have just passed my test last December and I am 42. I left it till later in love as I was worried that being a hot headed youngster I would end up in trouble on a motorbike. 

Needless to say I am so glad that I waited because now I absolutly eat, sleep and breath motorbikes! I used to be into fast cars but now all I want to do is ride bikes. I even sold my car (BMW M3) and now if I have to go out I do so in my trusty Transit van.

I think leaving it later in life for me was the right thing to do, maybe like anything in life... Too much of a good thing prehaps?

I can understand how you're feeling ..... I've felt like that.  For me though it's down to two reasons, firstly I live on a rock and there's only so many places to go, that's why I live for getting away, exploring and touring.  Secondly I also commute on the bike, it gets used for everything year round, so yes, there are days when I think to myself I can't be bothered.  That said, I love motorcycling, always have and always will, even being knocked off has never changed my strange, obsessional desire to continue to throw money at bikes 😁

• Like 3