On line and shop prices.

Throttled

Got some gloves from the Infinity shop in Glasgow, to find I would have saved £30 if I had bought them online. I always buy gloves only after trying them on, because of sizing issues. I have all sorts of sizes of glove, that all fit. I wish I knew, so I could have asked for the cheaper price in store, or just tried them on and then bought online, but that feels a bit cheeky.

I do sympathise but for a saving as significant as £30 I would put those feelings firmly to one side and order online.

It`s sad the way the shopping experience has gone, I even feel slightly uncomfortable about self scanning in shops as that leans towards fewer staff and jobs are going to become more important as we move forward in these uncertain times.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

It is the first time in years I have been to one of the motorbike clothing and accessory shops. I was nice browsing and seeing things physically, rather than online, but that price difference annoys me and means it will be years until I go back to a shop.

It's the same for loads of things. I can't remember the last time I got a book in store as its always available somewhere online for less than a fiver. We even buy our cat food from Amazon now as it can be cheaper than supermarkets if you already have Prime delivery.

As a Teen I always used to say that the Argos model was the future and what people would want. I never envisaged online ordering and same day delivery would become a thing!! :lol:

The problem is particular to gloves. I am usually OK with one known size of boots and jacket, but glove sizing is all over the place. I would also not buy a helmet without trying it on first, but will remember next time to look up the online price in the shop.

1 hour ago, Throttled said:

Got some gloves from the Infinity shop in Glasgow, to find I would have saved £30 if I had bought them online. I always buy gloves only after trying them on, because of sizing issues. I have all sorts of sizes of glove, that all fit. I wish I knew, so I could have asked for the cheaper price in store, or just tried them on and then bought online, but that feels a bit cheeky.

Was that price difference on their own website? I've had that with Halford, online prices cheaper than store prices. They have always matched the online price when asked. But it is annoying and makes people less likely to use shops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Throttled said:

I would also not buy a helmet without trying it on first, but will remember next time to look up the online price in the shop.

I'd much prefer to buy in a bricks&mortar shop, but the price difference is just too much.
I bought my current HJC helmet online after spending about 30 minutes with a very decent sales guy in  a shop. I offered to buy at the online price + pp. He said he would do it for the helmet in stock, but not for one that he would have to order in. So, because I didn't like the colour of the in-stock lid I had to order online. He actually was quite understanding about it.

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

It's the same for loads of things. I can't remember the last time I got a book in store as its always available somewhere online for less than a fiver. We even buy our cat food from Amazon now as it can be cheaper than supermarkets if you already have Prime delivery.

As a Teen I always used to say that the Argos model was the future and what people would want. I never envisaged online ordering and same day delivery would become a thing!! :lol:

We had our weekly food shopping delivered by A - Prime once 🤣cheaper than any of the large supermarkets 😂

• Like 1

There is no wonder the high street is a dying trade :?

And I am sure we are all guilty of contributing to it too! But then why wouldn't we? its all about convenience 

Remember the old corner shops/convenience stores where you used to pay over the odds for the privilege of it being convenient? well its gone full circle and you pay less for the convenience of having things delivered to your door when you want it :? 

8 hours ago, Pie man said:

The good old days of cash is king have long gone, the old common denominator for corruption, tax evasion and money laundering, now its phishing emails and online scams. 😂  

Or large internet companies and individuals finding ways not to pay taxes.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Fish said:

Was that saving with Infinity or somewhere else?

With Infinity. Shop £169.99, online £135.99, however, I have just noticed you cannot buy them online at that price any more, due to them being discontinued.

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/rukka-virium-gore-tex-mens-gloves

The same gloves are £169.99 in J&S (a few doors down) and i have just checked their site and it is same price online.

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/rukka-virium-2-gloves-black-55384?variant=152938

On 28/06/2022 at 16:49, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Was that price difference on their own website? I've had that with Halford, online prices cheaper than store prices. They have always matched the online price when asked. But it is annoying and makes people less likely to use shops.

I have had that with Halfords before too. I queried the price at the checkout, and they matched it. Still annoying.