Tempted to buy a motorbike

sandhun

I'll preface this by acknowledging that I've never ridden a motorbike before and I don't even know how to ride them (other than from a few YouTube tutorials I've watched this week). However, I am contemplating buying one.

I own a car and have done so for quite a few years but I don't really enjoy the driving experience. I typically drive a couple of times per week. Occasionally I make long motorway journeys up the M1 which I always find frustrating due to the volume of traffic and getting stuck in queues.

A few years ago I got into road cycling. It's my favourite way to get around, especially in urban environments. I have a speedy aluminum road bike and a gorgeous vintage steel framed touring bike with modern components. I love the feeling of filtering between a mile of queuing cars on a dual carriageway - being on a pushbike you have to be extra cautious and be able to judge the moment when traffic starts moving again, when to pull in and to watch out for motorists switching lanes without indicating.   I researched the theory thoroughly beforehand to make sure I could be as safe as possible on roads, e.g. knowing when to ride in the centre of a lane (primary position).

In terms of motorbikes I'm looking at the Royal Enfield 350 Classic. Would you consider this a suitable bike for a beginner? Also, would you feel safe using this bike on the motorway or would it be better to stick to B roads?

Edited by sandhun
missed detail

Assuming you pass your full bike licence there's absolutely no reason you can't ride a 350 on a motorway. You'll easily achieve legal speeds. However A and B roads will be a lot more fun but if you need to get somewhere in a hurry the motorway is the way to go. That said you'll probably find a 350 boring after a bit so be warned!

As @S-Westerlysays you need to sort your licence first 

Do your CBT and see how you feel after that.

if you carry on then get your full licence.

Motorways are boring no matter what vehicle your on 

Given your safety concerns I would recommend an early advanced riding course.  

Also once you have a licence reading motorbike roadcraft.

If you have driven a car you have gained road and traffic experience. If you are a skilled cyclist you know both how two wheels handle and how vulnerable you are on the road.

Which gives you a huge headstart when it comes to motorcycles.

As said, one step at a time and do your CBT first. My advice is not to set your heart on any particular bike just yet. How a bike looks on paper compared to how it works for you are two totally different things.

The 350 would be a perfect fit I reckon a single with not too many vibes. Get ur cbt done and take it from there that will determine how you feel. You have road experience in cars and cycles which should give you good awareness. Good luck and enjoy