And so it begins . ( Again )

fastbob

🤣 Oh dear I'm sure he will pay you in Ugandan dollars too. I had similar when I sold my folding camper a few years back. I'm about to sell my caravan as I'll struggle with the arsing around with its weigh wise post op, I'm sure I'll get the same dross 😩

9 minutes ago, JustinW said:

Ok I'm being dumb but how does the scam play out? If you get full price transferred into your bank is that not secure?

Multiple ways, stolen credit cards, money transfer claim back, Ohh I've over paid can I request the difference back suddenly its all gone etc etc

5 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Any particular reason for moving the Harley on? 

To get a bigger one . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustinW said:

Ok I'm being dumb but how does the scam play out? If you get full price transferred into your bank is that not secure?

To do that I'd have to give the person my bank details . 

On a more positive note I've got some interest that seems pretty genuine from members of local FB Motorcycle groups . 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bender said:

Multiple ways, stolen credit cards, money transfer claim back, Ohh I've over paid can I request the difference back suddenly its all gone etc etc

I understand that direct bank transfer is probably one of the most secure ways of transferring money.

Probably more secure than cash unless you know how to spot counter fit notes.

However any variation from this PayPal, Weston Union etc

I would back away.  I would expect them (I would) transfer a small (I never say how much they have to tell me) amount first to confirm bank details correct.

Also I would insist on full price, signed paper work, or traceable email trail and purchasers home address.

However it could be a scam to get your address and pinch the bike..

Then if it's sensibly priced you might as well wait for local buyer...

They are everywhere nowadays, FB Marketplace, Ebay, Gumtree...... you name it!

Only ever sold a car and always PX at garage. Can negotiate to get a reasonable price and save the hassle of dealing with complete strangers, or bell ends, as in your buyer from Ireland!

Will hopefully be selling my CB125F soon, will see what the garage gives for it and then go private as a last resort me thinks.

57 minutes ago, Pindu said:

They are everywhere nowadays, FB Marketplace, Ebay, Gumtree...... you name it!

Only ever sold a car and always PX at garage. Can negotiate to get a reasonable price and save the hassle of dealing with complete strangers, or bell ends, as in your buyer from Ireland!

Will hopefully be selling my CB125F soon, will see what the garage gives for it and then go private as a last resort me thinks.

Have sent you a PM

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

I've even got a timewaster with some free stuff.

Found a couple of new headlights for my old Cavalier, stuck them on gumtree for free.

Had someone no show twice.

That's the worst bit I've done the same thinking it may help someone out and they either don't turn up or want you to deliver it for free too. They don't normally appreciate my ending comment of "if you bend over I'll wipe if for you too" 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£400 deposit in the bank ! Things are going my way for once ! Think I'll check twice before crossing the road for a week . 😁

• Like 5

On 02/07/2022 at 19:50, fastbob said:

£400 deposit in the bank ! Things are going my way for once ! Think I'll check twice before crossing the road for a week . 😁

Ha ! Never count your chickens . Guy messaged to  say  he'd rather send a courier  to collect , I said I wasn't too happy about that , he instantly demands his deposit back ! I made him wait all day while I conferred with some very wise acquaintances to talk through any possible of a scam . Refunded him through PayPal in the end . Contacted a potential buyer that I'd told the bike was sold , they came straight round , sat on it  , started it , payed a £200 deposit !  What a bloody rollercoaster of a day . 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Ha ! Never count your chickens . Guy messaged to  say  he'd rather send a courier  to collect , I said I wasn't too happy about that , he instantly demands his deposit back ! I made him wait all day while I conferred with some very wise acquaintances to talk through any possible of a scam . Refunded him through PayPal in the end . Contacted a potential buyer that I'd told the bike was sold , they came straight round , sat on it  , started it , payed a £200 deposit !  What a bloody rollercoaster of a day . 

I would not accept money through PayPal they will extract it back from you months later.  When selling expensive items I would state no PayPal.

Fingers crossed for your next buyer..

One of the scams they do is have the courier turn up then send you an email. It looks very official like it's from PayPal. But it's not.

So you think the money has been transferred, but it's nothing to do with PayPal.

Off topic, but a growing number of places are refusing cash. I've come to the conclusion that either they don't trust their staff, or they view paying customers as an inconvenience. Either way, we tend to go elsewhere on principle. Once it's gone it's gone.