Wild Camping sites

dynax

1 hour ago, dynax said:

I think you've missed the point entirely . It's not wild camping if you have to pay for it . Wild camping is illegal in England and Wales but not in Scotland . 

I've wild camped in England, usually in forestry commission areas and well-off the beaten track. Didn't know it was illegal and never been pulled for it. Admittedly I was walking in to areas I camped and nowhere near roads and going fishing. Eg Kielder, Cow Green etc.

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I've wild camped in England, usually in forestry commission areas and well-off the beaten track. Didn't know it was illegal and never been pulled for it. Admittedly I was walking in to areas I camped and nowhere near roads and going fishing. Eg Kielder, Cow Green etc.

So have I on numerous occasions . Just because it's illegal dosen't mean it's enforceable . I could be wrong but I believe the origins of the English law on camping can be traced back to Margaret Thatcher's paranoia about the emergence of the New Age Travellers and in particular the Stone Henge Convoy . This came to a violent head in the " Battle of the Bean Field " when the bully boys of the Met went in like a pack of savages , beating parents in front of their children , smashing vehicles and taking away dogs to be put down . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fastbob said:

I think you've missed the point entirely . It's not wild camping if you have to pay for it . Wild camping is illegal in England and Wales but not in Scotland . 

Hi @fastbob I haven't missed the point, I know what wild camping is, and unfortunately true wild camping is illegal in England. This is an ongoing discussion on another forum, but I thought it would be good to post the details of these very basic campsites, which are as close as we will ever get to True Wild Camping. Even parts of Scotland are also banning wild camping. If you do wild camp in England chances are you will be asked to move on if you are seen, but there is the risk of being fined which does outweigh the cost of using these basic sites.

Sadly with wild camping there are those that do it sensibly and the rest.

The ones that do it sensibly you never see there foot prints.

The rest leave more than just foot prints and often is not very desirable.

Living in the edge of a hot spot, and having dogs to walk I can see why they will not lift a ban willingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Sadly with wild camping there are those that do it sensibly and the rest.

The ones that do it sensibly you never see there foot prints.

The rest leave more than just foot prints and often is not very desirable.

Living in the edge of a hot spot, and having dogs to walk I can see why they will not lift a ban willingly.

I revisited a wild site that I have used several times on my way up to Scotland a few weeks ago and it's been trashed . Deep tyre tracks everywhere , a rusting firepit made from car wheels , numerous sections of turf cut out and replaced but dead and various rubbish including a pair of nickers strewn around . I won't be going back . 

IMG_20200801_200844286.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Sad 3

These were regular issues when I was a Ranger. I remember when I was new and a bit green I gave a group the benefit of the doubt, they were friendly and polite, had a well set up bbq and tents and promised to take everything away. Went back the next day to find loads of rubbish strewn through the woodland. 

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, goat said:

These were regular issues when I was a Ranger. I remember when I was new and a bit green I gave a group the benefit of the doubt, they were friendly and polite, had a well set up bbq and tents and promised to take everything away. Went back the next day to find loads of rubbish strewn through the woodland. 

Alcohol is at the root of all this slobbish behaviour . Some of the scenes along the banks of Loch Lomond are sickening  . I nipped into a wood opposite the garage at Glen Garry for a slash and found a brand new tent abandoned with all the contents . Some as*holes probably couldn't be bothered to pack it so they just walked away . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Alcohol is at the root of all this slobbish behaviour . Some of the scenes along the banks of Loch Lomond are sickening  . I nipped into a wood opposite the garage at Glen Garry for a slash and found a brand new tent abandoned with all the contents . Some as*holes probably couldn't be bothered to pack it so they just walked away . 

Abandoned tents and equipment has unfortunately been going on for years now, I prefer Scotland in the cold months, it keeps the twats away. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is me all packed up and ready to depart from my " Secret " camping site near Crawford in Scotland a few years ago . Sadly , when I went there last month it was a different story . Tyre tracks everywhere , litter , a rusting Fire Pit made from old car wheels and numerous squares of turf cut out and replaced but dead . Not a pretty site . It would not surprise me if access was barred by next summer . 

Screenshot_20220806-143529.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, fastbob said:

This is me all pack up and ready to depart from my " Secret " camping site near Crawford in Scotland a few years ago . Sadly , when I went there last month it was a different story . Tyre tracks everywhere , litter , a rusting Fire Pit made from old car wheels and numerous squares of turf cut out and replaced but dead . Not a pretty site . It would not surprise me if access was barred by next summer . 

Screenshot_20220806-143529.png

Yes , I realized too late that I've already posted this previously .

• Haha 2

On 11/08/2022 at 09:22, gymwitch said:

I honestly dont get the mentality of someone going to a wonderful scenic spot then trashing it. as*holes 😡

Alcohol and drugs play a big part . COVID 19 has also pushed the Townies out into the countryside.

• Like 1

Now I am going to throw in a random thought.  I have wild camped in the past but now I would not for the reasons listed above.

However we have just spent 5 nights at a campsite for 2 we where the only ones there and for 3 there was one other unit.

I have camped like this a fair few times now, even mid summer.  Yes you have to choose wisely but I have yet to be disappointed. 

One sight a couple of years ago got a little busy with 4 units, needless to say all booked at the last minute.  

Prices vary between £10 and £25 a night. 

The advantage when you only have a couple of nights is you can leave camp and come back later in the day.  You don’t spend so much time setting up and packing up.

• Like 1