Jump to content

Riding an unrestricted classic 50cc on AM license


Recommended Posts



My CBT is soon to run out but have an AM license through full car license and CBT, I currently have a 1985 50cc Honda SH-50 which can only go 30mph. I want to continue learning with a geared bike without getting another CBT. All the bikes I like are vintage 1970s bikes and a lot of the geared 50cc go over the 30mph limit as they're not restricted.


So my question is, if I never go over the 30mph limit, will I get in trouble if I get pulled for say a dodgy brake light and the policeman knows that my bike can go faster as he's a biker? (Unlikely I know)


And then, obviously very occasionally when I want to go further afield I may go over the 30mph on bigger roads, very rarely but inevitably it will happen. If caught, what would happen to me? 


Then thirdly, how do you restrict a classic 50cc to prevent that temptation 😅

Edited by MouseMan11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to the forum 


The cost of restriction would be more than a cbt so I would do another cbt 


If you are caught then you look at a fine and points for not riding in accordance with your licence! 


It's not worth the risk to be honest 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, yeah the restriction would be an annoying cost and one I'd probably want to undo at some point if all goes well.


I've just been so busy traveling all over for work that I've not had time to get enough miles in on my 125cc. Two years is a long time in theory but I've just not managed to get around to doing my theory and getting to a place where I think I'm ready for a full license test.


It's crazy we can drive a car that can go 100mph over the top legal limit but as long as we stay in the limit its ok, but a bike that can go 10mph over what your license allows, even if you don't go that fast, you'll get written up for... Very frustrating. 



Link to comment
Share on other sites

When did you pass your car test?. Because if you have a look on the Gov.UK website regarding licenses it says if you passed your car test before Feb 2001 you are automatically granted the AM element on your license and can ride a moped, upto 50cc without L plates or the need for a CBT. Anything larger than 50cc then a CBT is required.


You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You do not need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test.

You must take CBT if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.


This was taken from the above website. As you can see it makes no reference as to whether restricted or not just that the capacity must not exceed 50cc.

Hope this helps




Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is also in the section regarding CBT & training.


When you do not need to take CBT

You do not have to take CBT if you:

  • want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another

So if you fall into any of the above categories then you don't need to do CBT to even ride a 125

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Please Sign In or Sign Up