Difficulty of choice. Please, give your advice.

Retupeksu

Hi!

I'm a brand new to bikes and I'm looking to buy my first bike.

I have three options that I just cannot choose from... I've been at it for a couple of months now.

1. KTM 640 LC4 Supermoto.

I love supermotos. Absolutely amazing looking bikes and I drove 125cc supermoto back in the day. KTM 640 LC4 is a stranger to me and that's why I'm asking for advice/opinions about the bike.

2. Kawasaki ER-6N

I have no experience with naked bikes or Kawasaki brand.

3. Yamaha FZ6-N

Same as above with Kawasaki.

I drive mostly paved small roads and highways. Occasionally well maintained dirt roads.

I would like to hear any experiences, tips, rumours or whatever you can think of about these three bikes. I truly appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance!

I’ve been riding for 40 plus years, I observe riders at the weekend working towards a higher qualification in riding and I’ve had my fair share of bikes over the years. 
1: KTM they look good and probably ride well however they are well known for electrical problems and do break down. 
2: Yamaha I haven’t ridden a Yamaha for many years, again new from the showroom or a low mileage 2nd hand purchase they breakdown, it depends on how much inconvenience your prepared to put up with. 
3: Kawasaki other riders may have different opinions, I’ve ridden many a Kawasaki and never had any issues with the brand. 
I own 3 x Honda & 3 x BMW all less than 2 years old, I keep them serviced and looked after, washed, dried & wiped down with ACF50 after every ride. You look after any bike and it will look after you! 

The KTM is getting on a bit now. They are great bikes, but in a high state of tune. They need very regular maintenance to keep them in top condition.

It's probably worth budgeting for an engine rebuild in future with the purchase price.

• Like 1

I agree with what's been said about KTM,  I owned one briefly, a bit like a high maintenance woman, mine needed lots of care, attention and money spending on it, other than that, it was a nice bike.  I own a Yam and have never had any problems with it, in fact I've owned a few Yamahas and never had any issues with any of them.  Kawasaki I can't really comment on, the last Kawasaki I owned was a good few years ago, Z1100 A3, It gave me nothing but problems, mainly electrical.  

• Like 2

My 2 pence with the big 4 Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are all much of a muchness.

They all produce generally good bikes. As has been said look after any bike they will look after you.

The big 4yall have the off model or like most things as they get old have known faults.

Other brands BMW Ducati, Harley, triumph, Enfield KTM etc all produce bikes that have a purpose and many great bikes   Some go on to prove to be reliable old war horses.

However the Big 4 become that by producing reliable, desirable, affordable bikes.

However in today's world Google any bike you look at and "fault" you would be amazed what you can find out.

I ride a Kawasaki Z650 which is the successor to the ER6 … you might consider one of these. Very little to dislike about it in my opinion. I haven’t ridden many bikes though so I can’t be entirely objective. I’m sure all the bikes would be fine. When I bought mine Kawasaki were offering some very good deals. And the price was significantly lower than the alternatives from Yamaha or Suzuki.