Jump to content

Sights on the riverbank


Recommended Posts

I thought you might like to see some of the odd things I've discovered on the banks of the Loire .  

The first two are images from the salt marshes on the south bank of the Loire looking towards our local power station. It was coal fired, then Oil, recently gas and currently back to coal.

Yes, you're right, that is a house on top of a truncated chimney.

01.28  Cordemais Power Station with TDM 850  (2).JPG

01.28  Villa Cheminee from south bank of Loire .JPG

01.28  Villa Cheminee from north bank of Loire  (1).JPG

02.14  Big Foot at St Nazaire  (1).JPG

02.14  Big Guts at St Nazaire  (1).JPG

02.14  Big Jumper at St Nazaire  (1).JPG

02.14 House in the River at Coueron  (1).JPG

07.28  Cycle Run with Richard to Canal Martiniere   (4).JPG

Edited by curlylegend
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry about that, I've made a bit of an arse of it.

I'm sure you used to be able to put together a post with pictures and check and edit it before posting. 

Couldn't do it last night so off to be din a huff !

Might try later.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could see them properly last night. Was quite taken with the house stuck on a navigation marker on the river ( not a chimney methinks!) and the house that looked it was about to fall in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/04/2024 at 10:28, RideWithStyles said:

its very white, a bit too white 🥸

Did the first minister in Scotland not say that recently about all the chief constables, the head of the law society, and all the other major offices in the country ?

Could that not be interpreted as hate crime ?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, sorry about slipping into pantomime....sorry , politics !

Lets have another go at shoeing you some of the odd / amusing things I've found near here.

So first her is a picture of my old Yamaha in the salt marshes on the south side of the Loire.....a big river in France that empties into the Atlantic ocean.

01.28  Cordemais Power Station with TDM 850  (2).JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's our local power station, originally powered by coal, then oil, latterly gas but now seemingly back to coal.  I followed the muddy track to the bank of the river and here's an image looking directly over the river to the opposite bank.

Then a closer view of that strange object on the left that looks like a house ?

01.28  Cordemais Power Station with TDM 850  (1).JPG

01.28  Villa Cheminee from south bank of Loire .JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get closer, I had to cross the Pont St Nazaire but before I left the south side I took an image of this.  It looks like the skeleton of a sea serpent washed up on the shore, a stone's throw from the bridge.

10.25  The Serpent at St Brevin   (2).JPG

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once over the bridge, I didn't want to spend too much time in the town of St Nazaire, but I had to get some shots of these odd things.  They're right at the end of the dry dock that the Royal Navy sabotaged during WW2 in Operation Chariot.   Watch the movie "The Gift Horse" it's pretty close to what happened. So here we have a huge stone foot, then a giant jumper, then, strangest of all, a set of intestines.

Why ?  Dont ask me, this is France !

02.14  Big Foot at St Nazaire  (2).JPG

02.14  Big Jumper at St Nazaire  (1).JPG

02.14  Big Guts at St Nazaire  (2).JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So taking back roads along the north bank of the Loire I eventually got close enough to the small red and white chimney to see what it really was. Yes, it is a house with a garden and a tree. And you can rent it for short periods of time.  I couldn't be bothered climbing up the stairs to get the view , maybe another time ?

01.28  Villa Cheminee from north bank of Loire  (2).JPG

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just seems sooo random and out of sorts. like a giant just chopped off the top half of a light house, got a small wendy house nearby and dropped it on top for a bit of a laugh...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather than retrace my tracks back over the bridge, I decided to continue east along the north side of the river and take one of the free ferries to the south side. But on my way there I passed another peculiarity.  A house in, not on, the river.  When the tide's in the water is up to the first floor windows.  There is no access to it on the south bank, it's all salt marshes. But the odd thing is, sometimes you can see smoke coming out of one of the lums and at night you can see lights going on and off in the house.  Another mystery ?

02.14 House in the River at Coueron  (1).JPG

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A seaman's land house 😅, one of those yes you could but shouldn't have done.

 

32 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Looks great. We should be down that way later in the year visiting family who live in Tours.

why you gonna put in for an offer?🤭

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Looks great. We should be down that way later in the year visiting family who live in Tours.

If you add in another day, start at St Nazaire and choose a route along the north bank It could be well worth it.  Don't bother crossing to the south side to see this, you've got it here...

07.28  Cycle Run with Richard to Canal Martiniere   (4).JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wow it beggers how desperate the germans were to have the french in the EU.🤡

Holy moly, erm im not gonna say it as its be viewed as northern factory worker filth humour and get banned.

 

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i went to two main spots of the french places between the serious bouts of illness (probably through the water infested with feet, intestines, badly knitted jumpers and badly surveyed houses) outside the rudeness of the supermarket workers (NOOOAAAUUGHH!) and the daft petrol station stance of if youve not got a french issued payment card AT ALL on a weekend of a holiday in any national in the world but especially their own you cant buy owt (fuel especially) in france. 

 

only fun things was i remember was telling the worker in simple terms even a pissed up farmer could work out (withe the interpret or of a fluent language family member) what they could expect to happen if they didnt comply to a simple standard procedure i was going to do so they could get their terrible shopping basket back for the next victim....i mean unfortunate over paying customer.

a wet grass areas right infront of caravans with hp front and especially rear driven cars to make them look more eco by covering the vans with about a few inches of mud as an act or revenge and amusement from the tyranny of the site.

no wonder so many people flock to the bol dor! lol.

Edited by RideWithStyles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/04/2024 at 23:02, RideWithStyles said:

i went to two main spots of the french places between the serious bouts of illness (probably through the water infested with feet, intestines, badly knitted jumpers and badly surveyed houses) outside the rudeness of the supermarket workers (NOOOAAAUUGHH!) and the daft petrol station stance of if youve not got a french issued payment card AT ALL on a weekend of a holiday in any national in the world but especially their own you cant buy owt (fuel especially) in france. 

 

only fun things was i remember was telling the worker in simple terms even a pissed up farmer could work out (withe the interpret or of a fluent language family member) what they could expect to happen if they didnt comply to a simple standard procedure i was going to do so they could get their terrible shopping basket back for the next victim....i mean unfortunate over paying customer.

a wet grass areas right infront of caravans with hp front and especially rear driven cars to make them look more eco by covering the vans with about a few inches of mud as an act or revenge and amusement from the tyranny of the site.

no wonder so many people flock to the bol dor! lol.

Oh, never mind, there are lots of other places you can go to. How about Belgium, or Denmark or Germany ? Or even Holland ?

I have a friend who also can't stand France, he manages to quarrel with just about everyone he deals with.  But he adores Egypt ?  He says the only thing wrong with Egypt is the Bloody French Tourists !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, curlylegend said:

Oh, never mind, there are lots of other places you can go to. How about Belgium, or Denmark or Germany ? Or even Holland ?

I have a friend who also can't stand France, he manages to quarrel with just about everyone he deals with.  But he adores Egypt ?  He says the only thing wrong with Egypt is the Bloody French Tourists !

I'm similar. I'm not so fond of France. Great food, great scenery, but I quickly get tired of all the petty rules, and everyone complaining their neighbours: it robs me of any hope for the future of mankind. The northeast of France is different: great people, but crap food and scenery designed to cast despair into the sunniest of personalities. But when it comes Egypt, I've been there, oh I don't know, 8 times perhaps, and I'd go back at the drop of a hat. Excellent food, astonishing scenery and Egyptians are just hilarious to be with.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Welcome to The Motorbike Forum.

    Sign in or register an account to join in.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Please Sign In or Sign Up