Buying some riding clothes? Look here first!!

What to get?

I would recommend you look at what riding you will be doing. If you are mainly going to be a fair weather rider and your budget can stretch to it then leathers will probably be ok for you. If on the other hand you will be riding all year in all weathers then textiles will probably be the better option.

If you use your bike for work and pleasure and you have the money then go for both... :D

As you still may not be sure though I have broken it all down for you into the important sections and what you should be looking for.

Abrasive Protection

It is commonly known that leather has better abrasive qualities over textiles. In the last couple of years though the technology put into textile motorbike clothing has allowed the protection quality to practically equal the abrasive protection you get from leathers.

The quality of stitching is very important. Leather can be thick and textile technology can be advanced, but it’s no good if the stuff falls apart as you slide down the road.

Lastly it is worth remembering that Jackets and Trousers are of course two separate things. If you are sliding down the road in an accident you are going to be annoyed (And in a lot of pain) if your jacket rides up. You are going to get some serious road rash. The two solutions are to either get a one piece suit or, if you get separate trousers and jacket to have a way of fastening them together. My jacket and trousers are both the same make and fasten together with a zip.

Impact Protection

Most of the major clothing brands come with CE approved protection. In jackets it’s normally in the shoulders and elbows, and in the trousers it is normally found in the knees, although in the knees this will normally be soft armour.

In the last year especially the company Knox has taken advantage of this idea and tries to put its armour in most major clothing companies. Check for this when looking for some clothes. If it does not come with it as standard see if it has zipped or Velcro pockets on the inside to put the armour into.

Some jackets also come with the ability to add chest protection on the inside and back protectors. While these back protectors are CE approved I would recommend spending a little more and getting one that fastens to your body rather than inserts in the jacket. See link below for buying a back protector.

If you get protection that fastens to your body before you buy clothing then make sure you have the protection on while getting clothing fitted so you know you have enough room for it in your clothing.

Weather Protection

Unsurprisingly this is where the textiles win. They are warmer, they are normally waterproof (If not a waterproofing spray can make them waterproof most of the time), and some breath better than leather in warmer weather.

If you want to wear leathers though these problems can be easily over come. A waterproof oversuit will stop your leathers getting wet and thermals can help keep you warm. Staying cool in leathers can be difficult, but most modern ones come with vents that can be opened.

Extra’s

Kit comes with all sorts of stuff. As already mentioned armour comes in some gear.

Underclothing can be bought. Some will wick sweat away from your body and keep you cool. Others will do the same but keep you very warm.

Ownership and care

Leathers take some looking after even though most people don’t bother with this. Leather is affected by its exposure to different weather conditions. Leather needs feeding to keep it strong and supple. If not leather can go brittle and be basically useless in the event of an accident. I use a leather cleaner to keep my leathers clean and a protection cream which I use roughly once every 2 – 3 months depending on how much exposure to weather conditions they have experienced to keep them strong and supple.

Keep an eye on the stitching. As mentioned above, you don’t want your clothing falling to pieces if you do end up sliding down the road.

Please note this is only a guide and you should consult people who have a lot of experience and/or training in this matter.

If anyone has any questions about this or would like to suggest any changes, please PM me!!! Thanks

• Thanks 1

Jeans. The facts

Just reading a magazine and came across this small article and thought I should share it.

How well do denim jeans last in an accident?

Comparative tests show new denim lasts around 0.4 seconds before wearing through. You can expect leather to survive for 2.5 seconds and many samples of cowhide will comfortably exceed that. Worn or washed denim will wear through even quicker than new denim. Jeans with panels of abrasion-resistant Kevlar-type material are becoming popular, but check to see how much of this material there actually is. and where its situated. Hood jeans ( http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk ) are almost entirely lined with abrasion-resistant material.

• Thanks 1

• 12 years later...