Thinking of a long ride in summer....

• 3 weeks later...

Erm....forgot about this due to work issues. I do apologise.

Anyone have any problems doing this on the 26th April? I should know by then if I have a job or not....

I will redo this route over summer. Will be nice on a summer's evening to have Fish & Chips by the sea.

Note I am not a fast rider and I seldom overtake or filter. This ride will go over many old single track roads and there is a toll and 20mph speed limit in Dalby Forest.

Edited by stelmer

• 3 weeks later...

It's been drawn to my attention (via youtube) that i'm in need of some serious riding help as my cornering is life threatening to myself and other riders.

I need to book myself in for some advanced training whether Bikesafe or IAM. Any information on these will be useful.

Until then, I am not going anywhere near my bike.

aww Stelmer !! hope u get sorted.

I was just coming on to post that I couldn't make it as the Bikesafe open day for this area is on that Sunday 26th at the Humber Bridge.

Just Google bikesafe and then scroll down the list on the right for your nearest Police force and get ringing.

Saying that ... it may just pay you in the long run to go back out for a half/whole day with an instructor?? and then do the bikesafe as a consolidation of your new skills??

I wouldnt take too much advice off youtube.... is there a forum member near you who could follow you and give you some advice? Would seek another opinion. You were good enough to pass your test.

I wouldnt take too much advice off youtube.... is there a forum member near you who could follow you and give you some advice? Would seek another opinion. You were good enough to pass your test.

Valid point Vicki, I didn't think about that when I posted last night.

I passed on the 5th attempt. All through my DAS I had an issue with cornering. They only just let me do my test on a 500. In 2 years i've ridden a total of at most 1.5k. My job kills my free time drastically.

This is from BCF:

Right, as much as i may seem i'm slagging Stelmer off, i'm not but i was the one that pointed it out to him.

Basically, picture coming upto a right hand bend (not to tight, but not a sweeping bend). He will position himself in the left hand side of his lane which is correct but just as he should start leaning in, he will 'flick' his bike to the right suddenly, and then to the left and then start leaning in. It almost seems as though he is dodging a man hole cover at the last second if you get what i mean.

Reason i said he is asking for a highside is that the speed that he is flicking his bike to the right and left (or other way round for a left hand bend) it will be very easy to loose traction and then regain it suddenly.

Do a bikesafe if you want, but like i said, me and Tom passed quite a few on bikesafe thingies on saturday and to be honest it seemed pretty boring. Your best bet in my opinion would be to do the Ron Haslam Race School or the California Superbike School

Now, California Superbike school looks interesting but I have a back problem and cannot ride sportsbikes at all. One on One tuition sounds more interesting but until I fix the very soft suspension on the GSX, I cannot go too mad.

Why was that posted on a public forum? Did he bother to speak to you in person when you pulled over on the said rideout? In my opinion its nothing that cant be easily rectified?? Sorry but I dont like the tone of the person who wrote that about you. Saying you're dangerous, but then saying bikesafe looks boring :roll:

You need to go out with someone... find a nice right/left bend.... let them follow you, then pull over, and let them give you some feedback and advice... then go back and do the bend again and again, until you get used to leaning and doing it safely.

Does he get commission off Ron Haslam and Superbike School? IMO not what you need and v expensive.

Stelmer - there are plenty of good safe riders from the forum in your neck of the woods. Make contact and go for a no-pressure pootle at your own pace and stuff the ace rider who has criticised you without offering a solution.

Armchair critics are 10-a-penny, ignore them and develop your skills in your own time with an open-minded companion.

Im with PPF and Vicki. I have learnt a lot from rideouts from being followed and following. Thanks to following Akey I have totally changed how I take corners and my road positioning.

Some may disagree with this, but buy the magazine Ride. They normally have someone who has a problem like cornering, passing, braking, gears and gives them tips. Even though they are specific problems for only that person I have always ended up with more knowledge after reading the article which I have tried and been very happy with the difference it has made to my riding.

race schools! very good for racing, limited benefit for road riding.

You just need to go out with safe road riders and learn from them.

My tip! :lol: stop even thinking about being fast or how much you can lean,

concentrate on being smooth and safe, everything else will come!

Thanks for the advice. I think most on BCF who criticise are the speed-freak sort of riders.

He originally told me on MSN and I posted in the private regional thread (they're member access by approval only on BCF) for advice.

I've re-upped some of the videos onto Youtube if anyone would like to watch them and voice an opinion. Don't worry about insulting me, it cannot be done.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/Stelmer2000

I'm free on Saturday and Sunday if anyone fancies a ride. Not sure on weather but i'll ride in rain or sun.

Watched the vid - not too bad.

Do a Bike Safe, get out with some grown up riders and watch your speed through 20 zones and you should be OK.

And I believe most Police officers would frown on one-handed riding especially through built-up areas (I often do the hand on thigh bit too 8-) )

Overall not too bad.

Had a quick flick through didnt seem to be much wrong with the way you were following. a couple of corners where a bit fifty penced but we all do that somnetime but nothing seemed to bad!