Accelerated Access (for 21 yr olds with the 33bhp license)

OK so i got my A2 license a couple of weeks ago and got myself a lovely CBR600, which is restricted to 33bhp. However, im 21 at the end of July so I was planning to do my DAS then and get my CBR derestricted. BUT then I just saw this on the DSA website:

Direct access scheme

Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kW restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor who should be in radio contact. You should also wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.

Accelerated access

Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW (33 bhp) machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). They may practise on bikes over 25 kW (33 bhp) under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practising (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW (33 bhp)) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

So as you can see the second section, accelerated access, applies to me as I will be 21 before my 2 year restriction period is up. However, what im not quite sure of is what on earth the difference is between the DAS and the accelerated course. I mean it says I could ride a bigger bike but under the same practice conditions as DAS riders, so presumably that means I would need L plates and would have to be with an instructor at all times... in which case i dont see any difference between the DAS and this :S

Anyone know if there is any difference? (im secretly hoping it means I can just stick L plates on my 600 and then get it derestricted and practice on my own but im pretty damn sure that isnt going to be right)

Looks like there's no difference to me. The bit that says "under the same practice conditions" would suggest it's under fairly startlingly similar practice conditions... :mrgreen: It's no big deal though mate, just go to an instructor and use their unrestricted bike for a day, do the test on their bike (as yours is restricted...and if you derestrict it for the test and fail then you can't ride anywhere!) and then when you pass derestrict yours and away you go!

yeah thats what i thought :( ah well at least I can practice on my restricted 600 whenever i want and the weight etc will be very similar so i hopefully wont need as many lessons as someone going straight from a 125 to do their DAS (or doing their DAS without having ridden anything before).

does a restricted CBr600 really lack guts?

its only a small time to be stuck @ 33bhp and then when you have the restriction removed it will be a whole new bike if i remember correctly a 33bhp 650 bandit top speed was 115mph on my mates so i imagine the cbr wont lack top end maybe its peek power band but do you really want to be int he high rpm range?

if it was me

save the cash of a DAS course and spend it on better gear/bits for the bike

its only a small time to be stuck @ 33bhp and then when you have the restriction removed it will be a whole new bike if i remember correctly a 33bhp 650 bandit top speed was 115mph on my mates so i imagine the cbr wont lack top end maybe its peek power band but do you really want to be int he high rpm range?

if it was me

lol no the restricted CBR doesnt lack guts at all (well it probably does compared to a full powered version but I havent used one to compare it to, obviously) it gets to about 80 mph very quickly, then starts to slow a little as you get towards 90/100 and I havent had it any faster than that so dont know what the top speed is.

But seriously, I've got the choice of waiting 2 years before I can have it unrestricted or spending a couple of hundred quid and waiting 3 months... I dont think many people would wait the 2 years and I certainly dont plan to lol

if it was me

lol no the restricted CBR doesnt lack guts at all (well it probably does compared to a full powered version but I havent used one to compare it to, obviously) it gets to about 80 mph very quickly, then starts to slow a little as you get towards 90/100 and I havent had it any faster than that so dont know what the top speed is.

But seriously, I've got the choice of waiting 2 years before I can have it unrestricted or spending a couple of hundred quid and waiting 3 months... I dont think many people would wait the 2 years and I certainly dont plan to lol

did you pay for the restriction?

I spose if you don't plan to wait two years then you've got no choice but to do it do it do it! But like slug's saying if you've payed for the restriction you might as well use it so it's not mahunny down the drain.

I did A2 at 35 years old... and kept it for 2 years.... no biggy... and certainly wasnt gonna put myself through another test!

You've only just got the bike ... ride it, get used to it... you wont be riding it to its full potential on the roads anyway...

8-)

I did A2 at 35 years old... and kept it for 2 years.... no biggy... and certainly wasnt gonna put myself through another test!

You've only just got the bike ... ride it, get used to it... you wont be riding it to its full potential on the roads anyway...

8-)

wise words tbh i feel most bikes should be restircted for 5 years regardless so you understand how to control a bike same as a car driver should be restricted to 1.4L @ no more than 100bhp for the same amount of time.

8-)

wise words tbh i feel most bikes should be restircted for 5 years regardless so you understand how to control a bike same as a car driver should be restricted to 1.4L @ no more than 100bhp for the same amount of time.

Northern Ireland restrict you on a bike for two years regardless of what test you take!

i feel most bikes should be restircted for 5 years regardless so you understand how to control a bike same as a car driver should be restricted to 1.4L @ no more than 100bhp for the same amount of time.

lol a 5 year restriction on cars and bikes is only necessary for stupid people... (yes I know the laws cant be just for dumb people but we are talking about an ideal world here, not the real world). I got a 1.4L car when I passed my driving test at 18 and then a year later got a 1.8L car which I've had for the last year or so and I've never crashed it or hit anything at all... because im sensible. Yes I drive fast sometimes and yes I overtake people but I dont do it in stupid places and im always prepared for other road users to do something daft.

I could understand you saying that I should wait longer to have the restrictors out if I was talking about taking them out tomorrow or something but im talking 3 months away. Yes I know I wont have learnt anywhere near all there is to know about riding by then (not that anyone can ever know ALL there is to know but you get what I mean) but I would hope that after 3 months, considering I've been driving for 2 years as well so have a decent amount of general road sense, I will be able to handle my bike being a bit faster. Its no different (well, its better in fact) than someone turning 21 and doing their DAS and jumping straight on a 600.

As for paying, yeah the restrictor cost me money but like I said before I dont really care about wasting a few hundred quid for the sake of having fun. I guess you could say I have more money than sense :)