Module 1 - members test experiences

Well having done my CBT and theory and an intensive 5 day course I took my first mod 1 test back in March.

My confidence was high I felt good, ...........................I did the handling, slalom, figure of eight, acheived the speed at the R.H. avoidance test without hitting the cone and stopped in the box okay , u turn, emergency stop, slow ride etc... all seemed okay- my clutch control felt good throughout, I kept the rev's busy... no foot down on the u turn and I think I had got the speed on the emergency stop......... result I failed 1 major, no minors as I had not taken the second lifesaver just before comitting to the u turn. Dam!

Never mind next time, it had all felt good just a silly loss of focus during the U turn due to concentrating on the turn and control

Another few hours of lessons to keep my hand in and I quickly booked and took my 2nd Mod 1 test....

More nervous this time ..not quite so confident.....

I did the handling, slalom, figure of eight, , u turn, emergency stop, slow ride etc... all seemed okay- my clutch control didnt feel so good throughout, again I kept the rev's busy... no foot down on the u turn and remembered both lifesavers

I think I had got the speed on the emergency stop..acheived the speed and much much more 60kph at the this time L.H. avoidance test but as I had slightly clipped the cone on the avoidance it was all by now academic

Again few hours of lessons to keep my hand in and I quickly booked and took my 3rd Mod 1 test. Extremely nervous this time ..not confident and rightly so i did exactly the same as last time and clipped the cone again...i had become focused on the dam speed machine and saw the cone too late.

Yet another few hours of lessons to keep my hand in and I quickly booked and took my 4thMod 1 test....

More nervous than ever this time ..didnt sleep not confident..... my clutch control was awfull I jerked around the slalom, jerked around the figure of eight, did the emergency stop and avoidance without clipping cones, wobbled along the slow speed but ticked all the boxes and to my surprise passed

Mod 2 here I come

Thought i'd post my Mod1 experience: How not to do it!!!!!

Attempt No1; Nerves got the better of me i clipped a cone in the slalom and was just terrible...

Attempt No2; Nerves again this time kept them under control, everything going perfectly even the slow walk which i always struggled with was perfect, got to the last manouver emergency stop never had a problem with this before only got to nail this. Started on the approach next thing i remember is thinking why am i sat on the floor. Bike broken, Wind and waterproof's ripped, gloves ripped, my instructor running across the compound.. Lots of bruises in places i didn't know exsisted, a graze where my gloves ripped, and some ligament damage to my knuckles, and the damage to ego with everyone else watching..... But i did get the speed 55mph...

Attempt No3; two weeks later still in pain with knuckles but the swelling had gone and determind this time i refuse to give up.. passed with 1 minor, very happy....

On to Mod2.....

Attempt No3; two weeks later still in pain with knuckles but the swelling had gone and determind this time i refuse to give up.. passed with 1 minor, very happy....

On to Mod2.....

Yes well done and having a great attitude.. :cheers:

Went into mod 1 with the attitude that I would breeze U-turns and figure of 8s but was bricking the swerve test!

Training day 1 sees me drop the bike 5 times on the U-turn but hit 55kph on my first go at the swerve. Seems on my 125 I could cheat my way round some how.

Day 2 I started listening to my instructor and kept my head up..makes all the difference.. look where you want to go etc. The bike WILL get round easily!

Passed first time 0 errors. 66kph on the speed trap got me in a little trouble but they don't have a max speed. Will be practicing my speed awareness!

Controversially I actually think splitting the test is a good idea. It's brilliant doing Mod 2 not having to worry about all that jazz. The thing I do hate is the:

"Congratulations on passing! What can you ride now?"..."Erm nothing, just means I can take ANOTHER test!"

Mod One taken and passed this morning.

Day started with about ten mins rain...great! i thought this was an omen!!! lol. So my mate George did his just before me watched him and everything seemed perfect for him, all maneuvers looked solid and stable. :mrgreen:

So my turn, met the instructor and had a bit of a laugh...putting nerves at ease a bit.

1st bit was the box to box push. all observations done..did it in a oner, trained with the 3 point turn but in the brief he said push backwards all the way, so i did and he said thats how i like it to be done, all in one move.....again nerves being put at ease a bit.

2nd bit was the cones and the figure of 8...I'd messed this up in my mini practice but kept the revs and clutch under good control...so far so good.

Then came the swerve- hit 57 Kph and did everything nice n controlled....going well.

So the U turn was next....my most dreaded exercise. once moving I looked where I wanted to go and was right by the correct area, brakes..and right foot down BOL&*CKS!!! that was what I shouted and then I was sure I'd failed, anyways onwards and upwards, so I had to do the emergency stop, off I went all well, 59kph and no skid or stall.

Last one was the controlled slow speed, just looked ahead and everything felt good. Pulled up and the guy told me to make my way to the office.....did so and was told excellent passed no minors...WHAT!!!! So I asked about the right foot and he said not even marking down as momentum is on right hand side so why not put right foot down, as I was over by the opposite curb!

Sorry to have gone on a bit there...Mod 2 booked for friday :bike:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took my Mod 1 in Swansea a few weeks ago, on an 06 CG125 - great learner bike.

Had half days training before hand, done basic manoeuvres in the yard (U turn, slalom, figure of 8 and slow ride) before getting out on the road to practice high speed manoeuvres.

For swerve avoidance, went to a quiet, long straight road. Got upto 30ish mph, picked a spot and avoided it.

Went to another road to practice emergency stops.

Then made my way to test centre (after a quick stop at Maccy D's).

Watched someone else doing their Mod 1 first (recommend this).

Signed in with examiner John Burns (who I've been told likes to try and catch you out).

Completed bike handling, slalom and figure of 8 no probs.

Then the swerve test :? got upto 20 mph round the bend, came out in 2nd, opened it up, through the speed measurment, swerved and stopped in the box (which was a little closer than i thought it would be!!)

Then the U-turn. REMEMBER!! life saver when you pull off AND before turning!!

Then for the (VERY) slow ride. Walikng pace?? I think not!!

Emergency stop next, as before, round the bend in 2nd, opened the taps through the speed measurment and on the anchors. F**K!! Locked the back wheel!! :evil:

Rode back to park, then in for the result :crybaby:

PASSED!!! Released the brake and re-applied without skidding :D

Be warned though, as the surfaces are new they are smoother than most roads, and would be worse when wet.

Mod 2 next week :?

Took my Mod 1 in Swansea a few weeks ago, on an 06 CG125 - great learner bike.

Had half days training before hand, done basic manoeuvres in the yard (U turn, slalom, figure of 8 and slow ride) before getting out on the road to practice high speed manoeuvres.

For swerve avoidance, went to a quiet, long straight road. Got upto 30ish mph, picked a spot and avoided it.

Went to another road to practice emergency stops.

Then made my way to test centre (after a quick stop at Maccy D's).

Watched someone else doing their Mod 1 first (recommend this).

Signed in with examiner John Burns (who I've been told likes to try and catch you out).

Completed bike handling, slalom and figure of 8 no probs.

Then the swerve test :? got upto 20 mph round the bend, came out in 2nd, opened it up, through the speed measurment, swerved and stopped in the box (which was a little closer than i thought it would be!!)

Then the U-turn. REMEMBER!! life saver when you pull off AND before turning!!

Then for the (VERY) slow ride. Walikng pace?? I think not!!

Emergency stop next, as before, round the bend in 2nd, opened the taps through the speed measurment and on the anchors. F**K!! Locked the back wheel!! :evil:

Rode back to park, then in for the result :crybaby:

PASSED!!! Released the brake and re-applied without skidding :D

Be warned though, as the surfaces are new they are smoother than most roads, and would be worse when wet.

Mod 2 next week :?

took my mod 1 today on a GS500...

Parked up, engine off, then moved it to the next set of green cones, easy enough.

Then on to slalom and figure of 8, no worries there apart from some strong wind to contend with.

Now on to the swerve (swerve left, my favourite side :) managed 51

U-turn next, managed this within the lines, although i forgot my lifesaver before turning!!! :evil:

slow ride next, that went fine.

Emergency stop to finish, managed 51 again!

Parked up outside, walking back inside with the examiner and he'd told me i'd passed! Although i did get a mark for not doing a life saver before turning on the u-turn. But as i was looking over my shoulder the whole time i was turning, so he let it go.

Was pretty nervous before hand, but thanks to the training school i went too i'd got to have plenty of practise of the mod 1 test (they even have the exact same speed equipment as the test center!). Not sure if i can mention them here in my post, but i would definately recommend going to a training school that has their own mod 1 set up on an off road site, it helped me pass first time (and i'd only got on a bike for the first time on Sunday for my CBT).

Mod 2 in a couple of weeks time.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed Mod 1 on my second attempt. First go at it and I was nervous, got to the test centre 45 mins early and ended up clock watching which didn't help at all! Anyways it was my turn... got inside the test area, nerves soon settled after the first couple manoeuvres and I began to enjoy the test. Was all going absolutely fine, and then onto the second high speed manoeuvre and the last excercise of the test, the emergency stop. I made a fatal error and looked down to check my speed as I went through the speed trap. Speed looked good but when I looked up the examiner was stood there with his hand already in the air. Missed it! I'd already got my foot covering the back brake and my hand was still on the throttle. I panicked and rear brake went on first, way too hard, resulting in a lock up. I was in a right state about missing the hand signal, my head was no longer in it and I didn’t release the rear brake. Knew that I’d fallen at the final hurdle and I was absolutely gutted. In the debrief the examiner said I was locked for a good 8 feet :oops: the back started to step out but I managed to straighten it up and there was smoke coming off the tyre. Apparently I’d failed it in style. Still, I was gutted it happened and also for the fact that it was on the emergency braking manoeuvre which, let’s face it, you need to get right. By the time I’d ridden back to the bike school I feeling ok about it and fairly light hearted about it all. In my head I know exactly what I need to do and how to do it so I’m not worried about what happened in the test.

Second attempt, I was feeling pretty good. I knew exactly what to expect this time and that certainly helped with my nerves. In the manual handling exercise I was rushing it, and I had to readjust myself as I could feel the bike falling away from me slightly. Took a few breathes and carried on. Just take your time with it, no need to rush it. Everything was going fine and soon it was the emergency stop. I talked myself through it, took an early look at the speedo as I came out of the bend, rate of acceleration looked good and I’d been focusing on how the bike felt at 35mph in second gear, gauging it by the engine noise and the way the bike would vibrate so I felt confident. Examiner’s hand went up and I was straight onto the front brake. I was told to treat the rear brake as though one of my testicles was resting underneath it! Great bit of advice :lol: Rode out of the test area and parked up. Inside we went for a debrief and I’d passed with 1 minor for the manual handling!

Best advice I can give for the high speed manoeuvres is to keep your head up, and get a feel for the bike in second gear at just over 50kph. If you fall short you get another go anyways, so don’t get too preoccupied about your speed. Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

June seems ages ago now...

I did my Mod1 with the same people I did CBT with. Turned up at the yard nice and early again and got the paperwork out of the way, it was just two of us for the day - the other guy had booked his Mod1 for the slot before mine. I bought my own gear this time as the loan helmet was a bit stinky and uncomfortable.

Instructor laid out a course in the yard and we practised slaloms, figure-of-eights and u-turns over and over again until we'd both nailed it then did the same with the swerve and stop. Must have done every exercise 20 times each! We then rode over to the test centre. There was loads more space than we'd been practising in (our instructor had intentionally laid his cones out closer together than the test centre) and the surface was even, level and dry. Perfect.

The other guy went first and was doing fine until it came to the swerve - he misjudged the stopping part and went sailing right through the blue box, stopping about ten feet after it. Everything else was fine, he was gutted.

My go next and I suddenly got really nervous. Checked the paperwork and got my helmet on then went outside. The examiner opened the gate and waved me into the yard, I took a couple of deep breaths, did the obligatory comedy lifesavers in case there was a car coming through the fence behind me and set off.

Park in the box, no problem.

Wheel the bike into the other box, fine.

Slalom and figure-of-eight, easy.

Swerve, bang on. Loads of room.

U-turn, ended up 18" from the line, perfect.

Slow ride, wobbling all over the place but no feet down.

Emergency stop, bang on the button, no skidding!

I thought that was it but then "unfortunately you didn't achieve the required speed on the avoidance". Crap. I asked how fast it was and he said 48kph. 2kph off ffs. Lifesavers, round the big curve again, straighten up, throttle WIDE open this time, roll off through the trap, swerve and stop with the front wheel bang in the middle of the box. Spot on.

Parked the bike up again then inside to finish the paperwork. I got 56kph for the stop and 58kph for the swerve with no minors. Happy days! The ride back to the training place was fun again, a nice run through the countryside. The test itself was quite stressful but the rest of the day was really good fun.

Almost there now, just need to get Mod2 done and I'm finished!

I failed mod 1 today - i'm 6 foot 5, and was riding a yamaha YBR 125 with my knees in the handlebars:P i failed on the U-turn which is a struggle at my height... oh well, try again next week... hit 56kph on the speed trap though:)

• 2 weeks later...

hi all. Passed me 2nd attempt at mod 1 today. Was feeling nervous as crap. I was the 2nd person to take as the was 3 of us 2 takin mod 1 and 1 taken mod 2. 1st lad failed by a few kphs on the swerve as he was shifting too late. Then it came to me. I flew threw first part moving bike from box to box, cones and figure of 8. Then it came to swerve, U-turn and emergency stop. No problem on the u-turn but on swerve and e brake only got 49 kph on both. so turned round and finally got 53 and 57kph. So passed yippeeeee lol. The examiner said Its the first time he has sore 49kph on both swerve and e brake. I asked if there was a prize for that but he said i would'nt want a prize of the dvla as it would be crap lol. So got me mod 2 booked for the 24/09/10 and hoping to fly through that so i can start riding me suzi.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just got back from my Mod 1 which I took at the Uxbridge Centre. I got to the centre at about 13:35. Test was due at 13:50 but Trevor, the examiner, was happy to start there & then! He was really pleasant & after we completed the paperwork went outside. He checked over my R125 whilst I got 'dressed'. I'd remembered to put the bike in the bay facing forward so had a nice easy ride into the yard! It went really well, I clocked 52kph on the swerve & 54 on the Emergency Stop. Went fairly wide on the Figure 8 but that's due to the sports styling of the bike. Managed to pass first time, no minors & have my Mod2 booked for 8th Oct. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi just been reading some of this just looking at the things you need to do to pass mod 1

firstly is mod 1 done on a car park off the road ? it sounds like it is but just to check

i did struggle with my CBT doing the figure of 8s i was ok at the slalom bit

i was thinking of buying a set of cones and going to a empty car park myself and practicing these things

i wont be doing my tests until spring but why not start practising now

U turns i struggled with on the CBT. when i first did my cbt i tried a U turn down a street and was very close to dropping the bike i just went too slow and stopped lol

i think i could probably do it now just the really slow tight turns i might start to wobble

the swerve is this just like doing multiple leaning on your bike and making it rock about a bit normally something i do to warm up and get used to the bike

Emergency stop im well good at them lol do them all the time at traffic lights that decide to go amber at the last minute

ok a a bit of a long post is it a good idea to get some cones and start practicing ?

MOD1 is done in a purpose built test centre with special road surface to cope with wet and dry conditions... you dont do any of the MOD1 stuff on a public road... no harm in the practising mate if you can find somewhere to do it... the slow manoevres are failry simple mate so dont worry to much about them... just practice loads and u will fly through it :cheers:

i just did a googe search about the cost of MOD 1

is said it was £15 that seems to good to be true is that how much it costs ?

if so for that money i meswell practice for a month and just go for MOD 1