Module 2 - members test experiences

Helen, I was told that they are not so strict on all the different lifesaver scenario's as they used to be, as long as your general observations are ok.

I would go with what YOUR instructor tells you as they will know the local examiners and what they particularly look for.

@john59 - well done mate (that was exactly the same route I had!) Paul was the examiner I had, nice scouse bloke in a car.

Yeh mate, thats his name, very nice bloke indeed

TH EDT: congrats you win! Thus ends your disappointment

1800978730_GoldChromeDOTFullFaceFlipUpMotorcycleHelmet.jpg.8c0cbf866cfa5d6b7fd75c5c6235063e.jpg

Any way, I passed with only 2 minors, over exaggerating my obs :

huh?

i get told i don't make them clear enough, so was going to over exaggerate them instead,

cant win!

What he meant by that was the fact I was looking round to far thus upsetting my balance, if you have checked your mirrors and there is nothing behind you, then all you have to do is check the blind spot.

I tend to look round even further from Habit because I don't have mirrors on the scooter, I should have really but cant be bothered to get some, the scooter wasn't manufactured or had them on when new (84) so no need to have them on by law.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the test centre. its not a great weather day and the examiner took me down all the worst roads for being wet and muddy. took it easy on those bits and got on with it on the good bits. Nearly managed to lose him when I overtook a car but he caught up. anway I passed first attempt got a nice blue certificate and a nice big bike to play with, :D

I booked the test myself but got a few hours' instruction the day before, which was very useful to me and pointed out my weaknesses.

On the day of the test the examiner took me into the countryside, then I had to do a bit of independent riding (where you are asked to follow directions), and back into town. Fortunately the examiner took me up one road where the day before the instructor said I would have failed - it was turning right into a road with no centre markings and I had cut the corner too much. But I was prepared for it so very likely without the instruction I would not have passed!

I got 5 minors (you are allowed 10) - these were mainly for observation and positioning. There was one occasion when a bus was coming towards me and there were parked cars on the left - but quite a fair gap which under normal circumstances I would take. So I rode ahead but the examiner stopped!! :shock: I thought oh no, I've messed up now but he put it down as a minor (phew!). The others were for moving before signalling coming to a roundabout, and not giving a lifesaver when going round a car which had stopped by the side of the road.

It is definitely worth getting some instruction beforehand (IMO) in case you have picked up bad habits.

It was quite funny though, I had been given a list of the questions you could be asked and I learned them off by heart. But when the examiner asked me a question which I knew the answer to (what adjustments might you have to make to your bike when carrying a pillion), my mind went blank and I could only remember 3 out of the 4 :roll: :roll: . I even said to him, I know there is a 4th but I can't remember it LOL!! I wasn't marked down though :D

• 2 weeks later...

My training was an abosolute nightmare, the training providers communication gear wasnt up to scratch i could hardly hear him and was making wrong turns all over the place and making silly mistake, my confidence was knocked to bare minimum to say the least.

Test day, was very nervous and couldnt sleep, when i arrived at the test centre the bike i had learnt on and completed my Mod 1 was taken by someone else (Bike was a bandit 600) so i was given a GPZ 500 which was quite small for me being 6'2.

Got called up by the DSA assesor very nice guy, on the test route everything went perfect, i could hear the assessor perfectly, also on the second roundabout a car pulled out on me, i corrected and avoided the car with headchecks 'Well Handled Jake' he pulled me over a few times for hillstarts/starts behind parked cars, remembered all my headchecks! i lost the assessor 3 times also at traffic lights, pulled in at a suitable place then pulled out infront of him when he caught up.

Anyway got back to the test centre he said, Jake i'm very sorry (my heart sunk at this point) i'm going to have to hand you a clean sheet well done!

So i passed with 0 minors and was well chuffed.

I now own a GSX750F (a week after passing :D)

Well after a week of terrible stress i did my MOD2 yesterday,

Failed :( :(

The whole ride went without fault a perfect ride i was made up when we turned back in the little service road back the the test centre, unfortunately at this point because i was so shocked how quick it went and i knew id done it i went and left my signal on all the way down the road to the centre, FAIL :shock:

nothing else on the test no minors nothing absolutely gutted feel a bit hard done by to be honest but there you go test is a test.

Mark

Thats a shame - Rather harsh!!!! :shock:

Yep just what i thought, i was gobsmacked when he told me i was like WHAT seriously ?? but suppose to be fair i didnt even realise id left it on i was so annoyed because ive never done that ever not on any lessons at all and on the test i pushed the damn button twice every corner just to be sure it was off.

also he never told me to turn it off over the radio so im not even sure it WAS on ? he waited till we where back in the office. :?

I guess i should stick my post up :D

well in my mind it was the worst ride in history

forgot to signal on my move out from the side of the road.

then i forgot to do a lifesaver

then i wobbled a bit

then i swung out too far from a junction

but i passed o.O

im well chuffed but its weird hahah

Well after a week of terrible stress i did my MOD2 yesterday,

Failed :( :(

The whole ride went without fault a perfect ride i was made up when we turned back in the little service road back the the test centre, unfortunately at this point because i was so shocked how quick it went and i knew id done it i went and left my signal on all the way down the road to the centre, FAIL :shock:

nothing else on the test no minors nothing absolutely gutted feel a bit hard done by to be honest but there you go test is a test.

Mark

What a huge shame and I'm sure you are feeling very hard done by, but they are marking you from the moment you get on your bike to the moment you get off it. These things are so easy to overlook. I was told by my instructor that many riders had failed on not parking their bikes up properly after the test, he said don't bother trying to reverse into the parking space in case you drop it - just drive in! Better luck next time .. :|

Thank you for the kind words :)

next one is booked for 4th July, ive now thankfully got over the bad feelings and looking forward to the next test i so want to get this out the way now so the wife and me can go out for some fun days out in the sun before summer is over.

Mark

Passed last Saturday morning at Shieldhall in Glasgow.

The examiner followed me in a car and quite often we had other cars between us. His problem I thought, so I paid no more attention to him other than treating him like a sat nav.

Convinced i'd failed at one point as i never saw the "20s plenty" signs on the way into an estate (where I live they get repeated every so often, but not in the test area). Only noticed them on the way out. I hadn't been doing anywhere near 30 tho as there were loads of double parked cars and kids running about.

Pretty sure hitting someone is a fail. :)

Anyway, after that he asked me to pull over a couple of times, then had me move off. No problems.

Then he asked me to pull in 3 more times, twice where there was no room because of bus stops, driveways and parked cars, and once where there wasn't enough room between the last parked car and the T junction at the end of the road.

I ignored him all 3 times and just kept riding on.

The 3rd one at the junction was a downright stupid request. He actually apologised for that one as "There's not usually so many parked cars at the top of the hill there" :roll: Like I said, he was in a car.

The rest of the test went fine, even tho I didn't know the area, been through it 3 times I think.

Back at the test center there was a learner in a car stopped right in the entrance. Here's where I picked up my 2 minors. I dithered like an idiot when I should have just made a decision and went round them into the car park. I dithered that long that I forgot to lifesaver when turning right in behind the car and then hesistated too long wondering if I was going to get taken out as I went past them.

Passed. 2 minors. Better result than I would have given myself or if it was someone on a bike following me i think.

Maybe something for folk to think about if they're being followed by an examiner in a car. They will NOT be able to see as much as you do, even if there isn't any triffic in between.

• 4 weeks later...

Background, 11 yrs driving a car 9 yrs full car licence, no instruction on a bike apart from CBT and a try out which lasted 15 minutes, passed theory 1st time, passed mod 1 first time. Took me 5 attempts to pass in a car :( Also put over 1,200 miles in last year and 1,200 this year.

What a day. Test was at 1pm at the Kassam bike started fine got to the junction then it stalled. Thought hum strange its nice and warm shouldn't need the choke oh well, wouldn't start again. Pushed it up the road figured I would try push start it, nothing. Looked around the bike grrr damn stupid emergency stop button (I never use it). It was a beautiful day, very warm here. I've had an oil leak from my rocker cover for a while as I had recently adjusted my valve clearance. Well the oil was almost streaming out of the cover all over the engine. When ever I stopped at traffic lights the engine quickly warmed up (air cooled) and the oil started smoking really bad, was worried the oil would catch fire.

Arrived an hour and a half early so went looking around where the examiner might take me, actually passed the examiner taking someone out saw them turn left so double backed on my self to follow that route. I lost sight of them but kept going a way I thought would take me back to the Kassam stadium (this route turned out to be the exact route we took :)) I went up a really steep hill thought him he'll definitely stop me here. I did two, the first one was okay but the second was on a really steep bit and it wouldn't go into 1st, revved the engine a bit and it eventually went in. Was doing all my observation as learnt.

Got back to the Kassam where I saw the previous guy come in, he came out of the office and shook his head (failed), put me in a bummer mood thinking the examiner was in a bad mood. I was then welcomed by Alan I think his name was. Checked my documents were all okay. Hooked me up with a headset the sound was superior to that on my CBT. Got on my bike and drove out of the car park, I had to stop straight away as a load of pedestrians walked across the car park on a pedestrian section where it says STOP. So stopped my bike completely before carrying on.

Turned left away from the Vue then right at the round about past the water works, then left towards Oxford. He asked me to pull up at this point, then asked me take my foot off the brake then to put the bike in neutral and turn it off. Thought shit I've f**ked up :crybaby:

He got off and came over to my bike and said your brake light is stuck on. Oh damn instant fail I'm not even going to bother asking, just accept what's coming and take this as a check ride to see where you are.

He asks if I mind if he touches my bike, said no go ahead. He adjusts my rear brake switch and bingo we're back in business :P He mentions my rear brake might have more travel but it should be fine.

Tells me to take the right hand lane towards Oxford again, we get to the mini round about and turn right. He then asks me to pull over when safe to do so. He tells me this will be the independent ride section from spoken directions. He gives me three turns to take right at the mini round about, right at the mini round about, left at the traffic lights. I think :P I get to the second turn and think is this the 3rd or 2nd turn I'm taking? He then asks me to pull over again and gives me 3 more spoken instructions to follow. Can't remember if I got them right or not but I end up going past TK Maxx having to go to the 20mph speed limit all the time (annoying). I lose him the second turn and pull in ahead. I catch a glimpse of him in my mirror and he says "please don't pull over unless I tell you to, just ride as you would at any other time" I shoot off (not literally) as he's caught behind another car, thought I would put some distance in as it's now 30mph road.

I don't know how we end up at the same road as I practised on earlier but we do. It's the country road test so I floor it up to 55mph slowing to 50 round the corners. Into the village at 30mph. Come to the hill I went up earlier and he tells me to pull in when safe to do so, I quickly dash in as the bottom is less steep. All done okay. Up into the village we take a right on a very sharp corner, I go up into it to get a clear view of the road to the left then almost turned back on myself, right down a narrow country lane. I put it in 3rd to engine brake down the hill while gently applying the brakes every so often. As the slope shallowed out I changed gear oops put the damn thing in 2nd. My revs went shooting up, crap that's a minor for gears I thought. Oh well I've failed anyway.

Kept doing my observations, backed off when I car tried to push out past a stream of parked cars on the right hand side, before he saw the massive BMW bike behind me. Thought to myself damn must have only been riding 15 minutes, I've defintley failed here.

Back to the test centre past a few medium sized roundabouts, 40mph road all the way back stuck in the left hand lane as there was no left hand turns off these roundabouts. I leant over steeply as I went round the last two, really well balanced I thought to myself. Don't touch the brakes, lean more if you have to, but I get them perfect :wink:

Pull in knowing I've failed, says go in to the tunnel get out of this heat. I prepare my self for the words I don't even want to hear him say. Was thinking what if he asks how do you think you've done? Wanted to say I was rubbish I'm sorry for wasting your time. He doesn't, and just says I'm pleased to tell you you've passed! Whaaaa! :shock: Completely chuffed :lol: two minors, he was banging his head trying to remember what they were for. Think he just made up two, but he said one was for doing my observations too late at a junction, second for cutting it close with a car coming in from the left. He said either go well before or after it. I think that's when I lost him :up: After I signed the doc, it I mentioned messing up my gears twice, he laughed and said well I didn't see or hear it. He made some small talk and asked if I wanted him to send my licence off I said sure, yes please. Also pointed out I'm restricted for 2 years, that's fine, all good :cheers:

I'm walking on clouds now, well apart from my butt after doing 80 miles today on a 125...it hurts :booty:

no instruction, though experience in a car definitely helped me. Riding on and off for 1 year covered over 2,400 miles mostly to work and back. Though got to know oxford well i didn't cover any of the test area.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Shieldhall Mod2, second time and a pass :D

One 'environmental minor'. The Clydeside Expressay, 50mph dual carriageway with lots of on ramps at at one I pulled out to let some cars on. Then one accelerated and I was left in the utside lane eyeballing him. Thankfully when i touched the brakes he took the hint and accelerated over the speedlimit and I pulled back into the inside lane. I was given the minor as I had only checked my mirror and had not done a lifesaver. But that was OK as the examiner was happy I knew there was a clear road behind us becuase of previous mirro checks and the life saver when I first pulled out. So that meant the road environment was OK to do that. Never heard of such a thing, but who cares....I sodding passed the bu**er!!!

• 2 weeks later...

After spending 5 attempts on Mod 1 I was hoping i would fly through mod 2. All those trips back and for from the tes centre, atleast I won't fail on the turning in and out right?

Right!

Well I was waiting and the examiner called me in and said "i took you for a mod1 didn't i?" and I said yeh anmd explained why he failed me for it, which somewhat made me relax abit and he seemed and was very relaxing and just chillid out.

He set me up and explained the test and then asked me how i check and maintane the chain, show him to check the break lights and where would a pillion sit on my bike and what would I tell them. These were kind of spoon fed, I went blank and couldn't rember what you call foot pegs and was like "these things" he chuckled and just said "yeh they keep there foots on the peg at all times".

So we drive and it was weird, there was no one complaining, huffing, annoyed or shouting on the radio. I relaxed and just got into it!

He pulled me over twice, then again infront of a car. The 4th time he pulled me over infront of a car and i though "what did i do wrong?" He then asked me to go in to neutral and he would be with me in 5 minutes and he came over with a clip board diagram of a roundabout. I thought he was abut to say "this is why I failed you" but it was the independant ride, and a diagram/map of the rest of the journey (3 turnings) but about 5-8 minute ride I think it ended up being. I pulled away and did them fine, on a turning right I stoped to early before the turning but rectified it and didnt make a verygood lifesaver but i thought it might be passable (thank god it was). He then asked me to follow signs for bristol and then guided me back to the test centre. It was one of my favourate rides I have had.

I passed, 3 minors for not doing life savers on right turns very well but I will rectify this when I am on the road, Alone :)

Good luck to anyone reading this and keep going if you need motivation. If you have passed well done! Its not as easy as it sounds, took so much out of me :)

Went for Mod 2 Today

All previous lessons fine, no re-occurring issues with speed, observations, signals or handling.

Wasn't nervous, a little trepidation but more than happy that I know enough on handling the bike, manoeuvres and riding confidently in general.

Got to the test centre met the examiner Alan. Took my docs asked a few questions on the show me tell me. all good

Off we went on the roads few pull over and off again and a take away from a angled start Still all good.

We then start independent riding and we're heading up the A1 ant the rain really lets loose, A1 really busy at this point, got into the correct middle lane following the road going at between 40 and 50mph with speed limit signs showing Max 50mph.

Road has opened up now, plenty space in front and to the right and left, can no longer see 50mph signs and the gap in front is huge so I stupidly presumed the speed was 70mph as it was the last time I was on that stretch of road (Over a year ago)

Back at the test centre informed I had failed :( (70 in a 50mph zone) the only fault marked on the test.

One silly mistake of my own doing should have paid more attention to the signs (Tough at that speed in that rain)

Alan was spot on and I think he guided me very well and could have marked me up for a few other things I thought had gone a bit wrong.

Gutted test booked for a months time.

Got my self 8 cans of Koppaberg and a big bottle of Morgans spiced and it's already starting to make me feel a bit better :cheers:

Thanks for others experience placed here found it very informative to read through before todays test