Module 2 - members test experiences

Well after having my final DAS lessons over the weekend i was told point blank by both instructors that i should pass without problem.. Made me feel good and gave me confidence but with my nervousness on tests i was still somewhat cautious..

Anyway arrive at test centre and i had to wait an extra hour while another student ( Michelle) took her test before me and the time dragged.. She cameback and exited the test centre with a huge grin on her face and she passed..

A few minutes and i went in to be called by Alan into the room.. docs check then out for eyesite test and show me tell me stuff.. By this point i was abit nervy but away we went out of the centre and turned right, i know this part of the route so i felt good about this bit.. Over a few roundabouts including a nasty one without issue and progressing nicely..

Kept reminding myself to cancel indicators which helped hugely and we turned into a housing estate with a 20mph limit.. All good until we exited the estate and no sign of a speed limit anywhere.. So decided to stick with 20mph even though i suspected it was higher but goign over the limit is an instant fail.. a couple of pull over and stop done without a problem then the independant riding bit.. "go to lights and turn right following the signs for Gateshead" he said.. Off we went and as i reached the lights i knew where i was and felt at ease again.. Back over Scotswood bridge and i hear " i would advise taking the right hand lane as its easier" which kinda surprised me although i would have taken that lane anyways as i know the roads there..

Onto A1 past Metrocentre and off at Dunston we go to turn into another estate which was full of people,kids and bloody dogs all over the place but again get through without a problem. Exit the estate, turn left and i know we are heading back to the test centre which we do..

Park up and go in expecting to have failed for doing 20 in a 30 zone.. its a few mins before Alan comes out and calls me in the room.. "Its a pass" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and i did some stupid dance thingy :lol: :lol: to which i was asked to calm down by my instructor :lol:

Only one minor riding fault for doing 20 in a 30 zone and i did manage to lose the examiner a couple of times as well which was fun :lol:

Believe me when i say the build up is far more nerve wracking than the actual test abd the time flies over.. The best bit of all is throwing the L's away :cheers:

Finally thanks to all for posting their experiences on hewre as i have read them all a few times and it really does help.. Also the words of encouragement from fellow members.. cheers folks :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

So the time had come.. Module 2 (yesterday 22nd Sep) Had a couple of lessons the weekend before which had not gone that well to be honest.. however test day was feeling confident.

Ride went well although I was peak traffic with a test time of 8:30 am this kinda helped with ensuring the speed limits were met it would have been hard to break them.. although this was not an area i was having problems with anyway..

My independant ride was fine although he started me off in a housing estate with no signs! so it was pretty much ride keep going until I found one lol.. Although the duel carrigway section I assumed we would be continuing at this stage back to the test center which was two junctions down, following a lorry at 50 decided i needed to get upto 70mph with overtake dont want to be seen as hesitent.. so went for it.. as soon as i did he told me was coming off at the next junction!!! arrrgh not much space left gotta get over gotta get over!

Back in the test center and Passed.. i picked up a few faults though.. 5 in total.. 2x following distance (was expecting that was the lorry he marked me twice for it because on ramp was 1. then backed off and then when passing crept closure) 2x for observations when setting off... sure i got those though!! and the other i dont remember.. need to check it lol..

As the above poster this part is by far pretty easy its just ride and remember what your training.. the worst part is the build up on the nerves..

3rd time appears to be the charm for me, 1st test I failed for doing 70 in a 50mph zone, second test I failed for doing 70mph in a 50 zone on the very same strech of road (Perhaps one of the stupidest things I've ever done) Both tests with no minors just the 1 major

Today there was no way in hell I was going to do 70 on that part of the road again (The A1) Wore the same top as I passed on Mod 1, previous two tests I saw 1 Magpie on the way at the same spot, Today there were two sat there (1 for sorror two for joy).

Went on the A1 twice kept my speed and distance good and i passed :D :D :D :D

No minors again

Just insured my ZX6R went to the gov website for the tax and the insurance does not update automatically either 24 or 48 hours, so I have to wait until tomorrow until I can get to the post office for the tax :(

Instructor went off with another pupil after the test and told me to ride back on my own once I had calmed down a bit.

12 Miles with a massive grin on my face riding back.

Going to find it hard to sleep tonight waiting to get out on the bike tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the advice and other peoples test experince it's been a great help.

i hated every moment of this test i failed it twice due to stupid faults. 1st test my nerves got the better of me and i failed to see the double green light FAIL. second one was a perfect ride until i failed to stop at the fecking STOP sign another FAIL. but the 3rd ride was flawless and i PASSED thank god

glad its over as its cleared me out of cash but im so glad i did it

• 4 weeks later...

heavy rain, clothing which isn't 100% waterproof, 28mph winds (53mph gusts), roads I have never been on before, no training what so ever and on a 125 = a recipe for disaster!

I got into Plymouth with half an hour to spare so rode some of the roads around the centre, which unsettled my nurves as I went round the first roundabout and the fron end slipped out on me so I got the bike more upright which made me cut into the outside lane with no chance of doing any rear obs or using my indicator. Pulled over, checked the tyres for oil etc and all seemed fine, so I carried on.

I managed to get to the test centre 5 minutes early and sat there completely soaked. Tried to dry my gloves etc under the dryer in the toilets.

Got called into a little room and got out my paperwork. He handed my insurance document straight back, not sure if he checked it or not, but he checked everything else and I signed some papers and put in the earpiece. He led me outside and asked me to read a numberplate, which I could see clearly without my glasses on, so we moved onto the questions.

"How would you check the chain?"

"look out for rust, make sure its not too tight oor too slack etc etc"

"Show me how you would opporate the headlights"

"I have to turn the engine on on this bike *turn on* on... off... on... off"

Ok, we then checked the ear piece, that was fine so rear obs before moving off and turn left at the bottom. Up a slight hill and he asks me to stop, so obs, indicator pull over, then move off, rear obs, see a lorry and put left indicator on to make it clear I am not going to pull off, then pulled off fine. Round the roundabout at the top, and the next one and turn left into a road which we have to stop in because of traffic. Traffic moves and I accelerate, nothing happens, f$%k! Its in neutral, and the instructor is left only half in the road and half in the road we just turned off as we are stopped right at the end.

Next turning I took way too fast IMO, swan-necked and I was shaking my head and swearing to myself.

A couple of places I use my indicator a bit too late and over the course of the test he asks me to pull over 4 times. I was told if they ask you to do it more than twice you are usually doing something wrong...

We then carried on a bit and I pulled over again and took my helmet off. The headset was digging in and causing me pain, we then carried on past some roadworks and a port-a-loo which had blown over into the road. Turned right on a roundabout that someone pulled out on me on (I had slowed down so it wasnt too close) and kept going down roads I hadnt been down before, down roads that have potholes and crap road surfaces.

And then we came to a flood... He advised going in the middle of the road which was the shallowest part, so rear obs, move to the white line in the centre of the road, on a corner of a main-ish road, and then I saw an oncoming car, so quickly did rear obs and moved just to the left, with water coming up and hitting my left foot. First time I have even ridden through such deep water and I do it with a fricking DSA tester behind me :s Nothing felt right about the ride, I wasnt relaxed like I normally am, which I think was partly because of the weather and partly because of roads I had never been down, and partly because I knew I was being assessed.

We headed back on the duel carriageway and once I had turned off onto the slip road, I went to cancel the indicator but didnt feel it click like it should do, which I presumed meant that it wasnt on when I turned off. This had happened twice during the test, and again I was swearing under the helmet

We get back to the test centre and he says nothing as we get off, nor when we go back into the room. He goes away to get some paper towels and comes back and mops the desk which has water on from the both of us who are drenched. I am fed up with the silence at this point and he says "well..." with a disappointing tone and a long pause. Not once was there a hint of a smile from him at any point since we had gotten off the bike. I was expecting the next words out of his mouth to be "unfortunately you have failed".. After the longest pause in history, he finally says, "well... you've passed"

So knowing I had passed and hating the silence I said "I was expecting you to say I had failed" at which point he was filling in the form which says about the minors. He asks why, so I tell him that I felt I was going too fast into turnings for the wet, at which point he was saying he thought the same at a couple of points during the ride. He then hovers over the box that says "use of speed", hesitates, and then ticks it. Fu*k, I just talked myself into a minor! haha

Oh well, I passed with one minor, on the worst day I have ridden in since I rode in the snow with gloves that I had to ring out when I got home and no training what so ever on a geared bike! (CBT was passed on the scooter and had no other training)

So basically my pass is down to 2 years of experience and the more patient of you lot who didnt mind the barricade of "How much bias do I use on the brakes" "what order should I signal/life saver" etc etc, so thank you all very much! :D

I appologise if this post is all over the place, but to be honest, I dont care, I'm going to go and take the L-plates off my bike!

heavy rain, clothing which isn't 100% waterproof, 28mph winds (53mph gusts), roads I have never been on before, no training what so ever and on a 125 = a recipe for disaster!

I got into Plymouth with half an hour to spare so rode some of the roads around the centre, which unsettled my nurves as I went round the first roundabout and the fron end slipped out on me so I got the bike more upright which made me cut into the outside lane with no chance of doing any rear obs or using my indicator. Pulled over, checked the tyres for oil etc and all seemed fine, so I carried on.

I managed to get to the test centre 5 minutes early and sat there completely soaked. Tried to dry my gloves etc under the dryer in the toilets.

Got called into a little room and got out my paperwork. He handed my insurance document straight back, not sure if he checked it or not, but he checked everything else and I signed some papers and put in the earpiece. He led me outside and asked me to read a numberplate, which I could see clearly without my glasses on, so we moved onto the questions.

"How would you check the chain?"

"look out for rust, make sure its not too tight oor too slack etc etc"

"Show me how you would opporate the headlights"

"I have to turn the engine on on this bike *turn on* on... off... on... off"

Ok, we then checked the ear piece, that was fine so rear obs before moving off and turn left at the bottom. Up a slight hill and he asks me to stop, so obs, indicator pull over, then move off, rear obs, see a lorry and put left indicator on to make it clear I am not going to pull off, then pulled off fine. Round the roundabout at the top, and the next one and turn left into a road which we have to stop in because of traffic. Traffic moves and I accelerate, nothing happens, f$%k! Its in neutral, and the instructor is left only half in the road and half in the road we just turned off as we are stopped right at the end.

Next turning I took way too fast IMO, swan-necked and I was shaking my head and swearing to myself.

A couple of places I use my indicator a bit too late and over the course of the test he asks me to pull over 4 times. I was told if they ask you to do it more than twice you are usually doing something wrong...

We then carried on a bit and I pulled over again and took my helmet off. The headset was digging in and causing me pain, we then carried on past some roadworks and a port-a-loo which had blown over into the road. Turned right on a roundabout that someone pulled out on me on (I had slowed down so it wasnt too close) and kept going down roads I hadnt been down before, down roads that have potholes and crap road surfaces.

And then we came to a flood... He advised going in the middle of the road which was the shallowest part, so rear obs, move to the white line in the centre of the road, on a corner of a main-ish road, and then I saw an oncoming car, so quickly did rear obs and moved just to the left, with water coming up and hitting my left foot. First time I have even ridden through such deep water and I do it with a fricking DSA tester behind me :s Nothing felt right about the ride, I wasnt relaxed like I normally am, which I think was partly because of the weather and partly because of roads I had never been down, and partly because I knew I was being assessed.

We headed back on the duel carriageway and once I had turned off onto the slip road, I went to cancel the indicator but didnt feel it click like it should do, which I presumed meant that it wasnt on when I turned off. This had happened twice during the test, and again I was swearing under the helmet

We get back to the test centre and he says nothing as we get off, nor when we go back into the room. He goes away to get some paper towels and comes back and mops the desk which has water on from the both of us who are drenched. I am fed up with the silence at this point and he says "well..." with a disappointing tone and a long pause. Not once was there a hint of a smile from him at any point since we had gotten off the bike. I was expecting the next words out of his mouth to be "unfortunately you have failed".. After the longest pause in history, he finally says, "well... you've passed"

So knowing I had passed and hating the silence I said "I was expecting you to say I had failed" at which point he was filling in the form which says about the minors. He asks why, so I tell him that I felt I was going too fast into turnings for the wet, at which point he was saying he thought the same at a couple of points during the ride. He then hovers over the box that says "use of speed", hesitates, and then ticks it. Fu*k, I just talked myself into a minor! haha

Oh well, I passed with one minor, on the worst day I have ridden in since I rode in the snow with gloves that I had to ring out when I got home and no training what so ever on a geared bike! (CBT was passed on the scooter and had no other training)

So basically my pass is down to 2 years of experience and the more patient of you lot who didnt mind the barricade of "How much bias do I use on the brakes" "what order should I signal/life saver" etc etc, so thank you all very much! :D

I appologise if this post is all over the place, but to be honest, I dont care, I'm going to go and take the L-plates off my bike!

great post I'm really pleased for you my friend

pat

Monday 31st October approximately midday...

Was a complete bag of nerves riding round with my instructor for about half an hour before the test, including getting several typical Scottish sounding 'what the hell are you doing??' over my radio from said instructor. Oh dear this wasn't looking good...

So pulled into test centre and met the examiner. Was happy to see it was my examiner from Mod 1, who was a thoroughly nice chap. Tall fella with a 1100 pan, but I digress. Into the building I went, several bits of paper signed, radio'd up and documents reviewed, and out we went to do the eyesight test which was fine.

He then asked me three questions- tell him how a pillion would affect the bike's handling, tell him how would i check the oil, and show him how to check the front brake was working- push the bike forward and apply front brake so it stops the bike.

Started up the bike, and began to follow instructions, turn left here, turn right there etc, making sure I had one eye on the speedo, and did my mirror checks and lifesavers. Unlike my car test, the independent ride was quite soon into the test, which surprised me, I had expected it to be at the end, but was fine. Follow the signs for Workington, until I tell you otherwise, so headed out of Carlisle centre onto a 40 limit, then a 60 limit, minding out for diesel and mud along a country road, lifesaver and back off on the speed as i overtook a lady out running quite close to a bend. Then head back for carlisle city centre where he took over instructions again.

Onto various housing estates, including a few roads I hadn't been on before on my training, but was fine, and didn't worry me. He asked me to stop a couple of times and pull away from the road, and then the evil swine decided he was going to combine the angled start and hill start, so after asking me to move up a bit as he thought I was making it far too easy for myself where I'd stopped, did my rear observations, indicator, pull away etc. At this moment I got a bit concerned that i may have passed the car a bit too closely and inwardly had words with myself, convinced I'd screwed up.

then onto a 20mph limit with unmarked crossroads complete with potholes and no end of one way systems he eventually directed me onto a main road and I recognised that we were heading back to the test centre. I think i was only out about 25 minutes which made we wonder if i'd done something wrong and he was taking me back before I commited suicide by bike or something. I'd found it difficult to relax, and tended to sit a couple of mph under the speed limit because of all the speed humps.

Back at the test centre, he asked me to get off the bike and wait while he rescued his paperwork from his bike and then back into the test centre, helmet and gloves off, radio off, and then he proceeded to start filling in the sheet of paper. Surreptitiously reading upside down, my heart sank as I read what looked like 6 in the minors category, before he looked up and said 'pleased to tell you that you've passed. Clean sheet'. Turns out it was how he'd written the zero, and that it was in fact 0 minors. I think my instructor had trained me so well that what I thought were mistakes, which to me were, weren't even serious enough to marked down as a minor, so beyond ecstatic,

So happy bunny, full bike licence obtained, just need to get my bandit on the road and start enjoying biking again, and wait for the fact I've passed to sink in. :)

:D good right up, well done on not getting a single minor!

Thanks. I learnt from you and kept my mouth shut :wink:

oh god, did I really write that, I meant write rather than right haha, I should really start proof reading..

And :D Glad to be of help :P

• 1 month later...

I had my Mods 1 and 2 booked on the fourth day of my DAS, in November. Stupidly put a foot down on the Slalom/figure 8 so blew those two tests right there. It took ages to get a re-test slot for Mod 1 but passed it with no minors. Mod 2 test booked for Dec 13th. It was raining on the way out from Warrington, but dry in St Helens though windy and getting stronger.

I had Annette as my examiner and she had been really nice the previous week on the successful Mod 1. Radios on, fumble for keys before getting the gloves on, then out for the eyesight and quiz. No problem.

Out of the test centre, turn right and right. Straight on at the lights. Hmm, not ever been that way before. Ragged take off from the junction and then waited for ages to get a gap in traffic that wasn't going to cause someone to brake. Angled start from behind a parked car (look into it to see if anyone is inside!) then immediately into the independant ride portion, following signs to the M62. I thought I was in the wrong lane approaching a roundabout, then traffic moved and I saw the painted directions that I was OK. Turned left onto a dual (?) and I was in the right-hand lane. Aah, left hand lane is a bus lane. Where's the sign? Ok, bus lane from 7am to 7pm. It's 1:30 in the afternoon and I somehow think that I can use it. Ob, signal, ob, move. 50 yards on it dawns on me that it's a bus lane and Annette is still in the right lane behind me. Sig, Ob, move back. Shit, I've failed my test. Few more ragged wobbles on pulling away, then told to take the second left at the roundabout, but watch it because the first left is right next to the second. Indicate left, enter roundabout, take second left. Shit, I've just indicated and not gone down the first left. Onto the dual carriageway and a good overtake of a container wagon cheered me up a bit.

Finally start to relax now that it's been blown and riding better when getting back to the test centre (but manage to stall it for good measure on another pull-away). Reaching the MPTC, I can't turn into the car park because a girl is on her driving test and coming out on the wrong side of the road. Stop and wait for her to move rather than go around her and be on the wrong side myself.

Back inside and give Stuart (My instructor) a shake of the head and "I think I failed it".

Into the little room, take off the radio and Annette says "I'm pleased to tell you that you passed".

Huge relief followed by a babble about bus lanes, second left on roundabouts. I don't think Annette had seen me check the bus lane times before I moved in, and seeing as I got out at the repeater safely, she counted it as a minor. Five more minors for following distance in traffic away from lights when I caught up the 2 sec gap as the cars moved, couple for ragged turns.

Anyway, a pass with 6 minors is still a pass.

Home to my 2010 Versys in Polar yellow, insure it that night just as the weather turns to ice and I can't ride it for a week.

Been on it lots since, and I love it.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my Mod 2 test booked for 1.29pm on 19th January 2012. First attempt.

This was the coldest day that I've ever ridden - fingers and toes freezing all day.

So, was riding from 9am to warm up, rode around some of the roads that the test routes used.

Arrive at test centre and wait in little room for the examiner (same one as for the Mod 1 test), he checks paperwork and get earpiece set up.

It starts pouring with rain...I've never even ridden in the rain - and the wind has been crazy all morning!

Go outside, check eyesight, and go over to the bike (YBR 125) and asks me:

1. What would you advise a first time pillion getting on a bike (think I said put arms round me or hold grabrails).

2. What would you advise pillion when actually riding (I say lean with me on corners).

3. Tell me how you would check the chain (tension, lubricated).

4. Show me how you would test the horn.

Told me to get on bike, tested that I could hear him then told me to ride out of the centre. Rode round a few 30mph roads for about 5 minutes, turned a lot of corners, pulled in a couple of times then pulled off again. Was a bit wobbly the first 10 mins of the test and turning corners was a nightmare - just falling short of the other side of the road! Then was the independent riding. I was actually expecting this to be the last 10 mins of the test so a bit confused. Very first direction and took a wrong turn. Told me to turn left then follow some directions. I heard "turn right then follow direction to..."...so indicator to turn right then heard him in my ear "turn left, turn left"...there was no way I was going to switch indicator signal so just went with what I was doing (all correctly) then asks me to pull over and he rides beside me to ask if I could hear him properly. Looks a bit annoyed. Oh well! Got back on track, went over a few national speed limit roads. Felt myself slowing down loads for corners (like 20mph! It was raining after all!) Pulled in another couple of times. Knew that I had done this too often so I was obviously doing something wrong. Think 3rd time I left indicator on a bit too long. So 4th time was the last.

After a wee while I see we're following signs for the by-pass then the direction of the test centre. Thank the lord!

Turn into the test centre (with a nice lifesaver...the only proper right turn the whole test!) and park up and make our way into the building.

Examiner takes his time taking bits and bobs off, dithers over the paperwork and makes small talk before telling me I've PASSED!

Asked how many minors - 5 which I'm fine about. 2 for positioning, 2 for steering and 1 for appropriate speed (too slow)...all I agree with so that's cool.

Instructor eventually arrived then we had a nice ride back to the bike school.

Still need to get rid of the L plates but so chuffed it's finally done!

Good luck to anyone else who has theirs coming up!

• 4 months later...

Was a nice sunny day, few clouds scattered around but no wind! Pulled out of the test centre straight onto a country lane which despite being on a test was simply amazing! Tootled through a small village then straight back onto a country road. Then onto a dual carriage way which seemed to be hosting the farmers rally, pulled off several safe overtaking manouvers before turning down another country road where the self directed riding started. Head to the town centre!!!

Headed down some 20mph roads and a few roundabouts and eventually back to the test center!

Still sceptical as to whether one incident involving a speeding elderly lady had cost me I was a little down beat, however the examiner asked if I wanted my instructor present which I thought was game over!

PASS!! couldn't believe it, examiner was a top bloke too!!!

• 3 weeks later...

hm passed mod 1 on 3rd attempt, first two times i failed cuz i touched my foot down on figure of 8 , and secondly i did nt make a lifesaver check on U-turn,

well failed mod2 cuz i kept my indicator on for long time and did nt realize and second time on round about didnt give any indicators,

now i have booked again mod 2 , my test is on 6 july friday 2012, i have bought indicator buzzers from ebay, so i know indicators are on,, :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Passed my mod 2 on wed25th. July at gateshead test centre. had around 6 hours of a das course before hand and an hour lesson before the test. the lads i had been having lessons with were right next to the test centre so i walked round to the test centre while the instructor rode the bike round, had the had to wait a while then was called in to the radio room and fitted with a radio then outside, eye test no probs, questions, how would carrying a pillion affect the bike, what the emergency stop button was for, no problem, then onto the main event, i must say i wasnt feelin too confident as the pre test lesson didnt go that well and the instructor seemed to be picking me up for alot of things,anyway away we went, i was hoping we would turn left out of the test centre as if so it would mean we would probably end up in gateshead, dunston, whickham area. Which i was familiar with but no, we turned right which i new meant newcastle area, managed a couple of roundabouts ok with the speed limits changinf constantly, then onto the a1 on a section i was not sure the max speed limit was as there is a good chunk of that part of the a1 is 50 so i stayed at 50, a couple of junctions then off into some 20 mph zones, speed humps and shekanes, a set of traffic lights, right turn almost droped the bike thou ght that was it, ive blown it,carried on told to follow the signs for gateshead, aproched. A. Junction in the wrong lane hearing the examiner shouting in my ear that i was in the wrong lane for gateshead, back on the a1 heading back to the test centre thinking ive failed miserably, parked up was asked to wait in the waiting area until called, very long 5 minuetes, was called into the radio room, very quiet took the radio off asked to sit down and a.

s i did he said ITS A PASS !!!!!!? couldnt believe it, 2 minors one for lane dicepline on a long sweeping bend and one for not doin a right shoulder check as i turned right into the test centre. Couldnt stop. Smiling all the way home.