2017 UK Challenge 100 - Discussion Thread

Grumpy Old Git

How do you find your Pubs? Is there an easy way?

Open Google maps of the area you want to ride, type in the name of the pub you're after and choose from the results

Its not always easy though

Last year it worked fine this year the amount of local pubs its missed... Barley Mow 4 miles away unless I type in the town name and "Barley Mow" Google will not show it.

Makes you wonder how many more I have missed locally. Although I think this year my score is going to be low the Tags just dont line up for me LOL

Its not always easy though

Last year it worked fine this year the amount of local pubs its missed... Barley Mow 4 miles away unless I type in the town name and "Barley Mow" Google will not show it.

Makes you wonder how many more I have missed locally. Although I think this year my score is going to be low the Tags just dont line up for me LOL

Google maps can be a bit hit and miss for pubs. Some only show when you zoom right in to an area

so do you pick any number ? and any pub with the same name locally ?

First you have to post on the right thread!!

Thank Hoggs for moving it for you :wink:

Secondly read the threads associated with the Challenge all is explained in the first posts

• 2 weeks later...

Deja-vu (or some such saying!) :tumble: Some folks suffer from a short -term memory loss issue!!!

I use both Google and Cask Finder to locate pubs. Also, the Biker Guide can be quite helpful at times. :thumb:

Any pub that displays the local CAMRA guide will also list local (to that area) pubs, as does most of the 'trivago' style on-line search tools. :)

Pubs can also be found by riding to other 'Tags' and spotting them en-route. 8-)

Finally, there is the 'map' kindly uploaded by TMBF giving most of the pubs in the UK! :3some:

:cheers:

Looks like Easter week will see me heading into the deep South West.

Scotland may be July (must remember the 'midge cream').

:thumb:

Just back from a quick wander round the south west. Great place withSome great roads over Exmoor and Dartmoor, and I especially enjoyed the coast road from St Ives to St Just :D

Looks like Easter week will see me heading into the deep South West.

Scotland may be July (must remember the 'midge cream').

:thumb:

Just back from a quick wander round the south west. Great place withSome great roads over Exmoor and Dartmoor, and I especially enjoyed the coast road from St Ives to St Just :D

Hnnngh. I really need to find a way to take my bike down there too when we go on a group holiday in May!

• 3 weeks later...

Stopped and had a coffee and I was sitting opposite a pub called the red lion, had no number with me and didn't bother with a pic , does this count as a tag :?

No, on three counts:

1. You must show your number in the picture.

2. There is a specific pub "ye Olde Red Lion" in a specific location that is the tag.

3. The 10 Pubs list has 'the Lion' and as previously mentioned, no colour, type, name or other added word in the title is accepted.

Just stop crying and get back out there with a camera and clock some 'real' tags - No excuses, the weather is perfect!

:booty: :booty: :booty:

How do you work that out Beefy? The 10 Pubs do not have a Red Lion. One of the 'Group Tags' has a specific Tag - The Olde Red Lion. It is NOT one of the 10 Pub Tags. I have 'got' all ten Pubs including 'The Lion' AND I have the 'group tag' - 'The Olde Red Lion' so.... where's your beef???

:booty: :up: :booty:

Finished off the South Midlands with the Shropshire Camping and Pods. Then had a steak baguette and coffee in the cafe next door.

I did get the impression from some patrons talking to the staff that it had not been open all that long following a refurb.