Motorbikes in Nottingham's bus lanes

Lateralus

Having noticed that both Birmingham and Bristol allow motorbikes to use bus lanes, I wrote to the Transport Portfolio Holder in Nottingham to ask if they'd consider doing the same. Had a very full response, even though the answer wasn't what I'd wanted, he did give a pretty considered answer which I thought I'd share.

Was worth asking I guess!

I apologise for the delay in my response.

I refer to the recent enquiry about the bus lanes in the City of Nottingham and asking if motorcycles would be allowed to use them.

The policy of the Council is that at this moment in time, the bus lanes are restricted to those vehicles that the Authority considers to be sustainable transport providers. It is perhaps useful to note, that even those classes of vehicles that are considered to provide these services, Nottingham places further restrictions to specified types, in particular, "Taxis" being confined to those that are wheelchair accessible only and not saloon style vehicles. In addition as our radial roads cross into the County we have also sought to maintain a level of consistency on these routes with the adjacent responsible authority, the County Council.

Any changes to the category of vehicles being allowed in to the bus lanes will of course be safety audited and would be subject to the statutory process required to change the legal orders defining bus lanes. These would also require the bus lane signs to be replaced across the network which in connection with the above would be a significant cost. Accessibility has been improved through the development of a high quality integrated public transport network which has been further supported by the continuing use of bus lane enforcement to improve punctuality. We believe that road space should be allocated for bus lanes on this basis and for the use of cyclists.

The issue regarding motorcycles having access to bus lanes along with other categories of user is raised on a regular basis and currently there are no significant safety issues within the City that have highlighted the need for motorcycles to be allowed in the lanes. The policy therefore remains buses, pedal cycles and wheelchair accessible taxis only that are allowed access to bus lanes.

I regret that this information will not be the response that you had hoped for, however I do hope that the above information is of use. If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to get in touch.

This in a city that has a bus 'gate'.. so only buses are allowed to pass it. however NO Buses do.. its not on any route. but that didn't stop the council collecting over £660,000 of fines in a year.. from the camera they placed at this so-called bus gate.. that never sees a bus.

at least you know not to ride in them... London are some yes some no, some yes for half then no for the rest. :shock:

pain in the arse trying to clock the bloody signs every time

This in a city that has a bus 'gate'.. so only buses are allowed to pass it. however NO Buses do.. its not on any route. but that didn't stop the council collecting over £660,000 of fines in a year.. from the camera they placed at this so-called bus gate.. that never sees a bus.

Where's that?

Can't remember the last time I rode into Nottingham on the bike. :?

I had to go over to Derby first thing this morning and was stuck in traffic on the A52 both ways. Several bikes went past in the queue, including another version of mine. :roll:

Resolved at that point to get the extra bits I need to make it easier to go to meetings etc on the bike without requiring a full change of clothes - mainly a decent pair of protective overtrousers and these:

alpinestars_boots_parlor-shoe_black.jpg

Shakespeare Street.

At one end there are signs saying its pedestrian only... at the other there is a sign which talks about a 24hr bus lane.. its that sign people were driving past.. over a year more than 11,000 drove past it and were given a £60 fine for this.

these are the offending signs. one is clear.. the other is clear as mud.

618710594_ScreenShot2017-03-22at21_23_50.png.232abe33f106927108053da96fefaf68.png

Reading has some you can use, some you can't and some only at certain times.

Have to say I enjoy whizzing past queueing traffic on the main route out of Town in the mornings :lol:

Can't really argue with the response you got from Nottingham Council though, seems logical enough.

You can use all bus lanes here in Hull

I must say though I don't find them safe

you find that a lot of drivers leave room for cars to turn in and out of side streets and the cars turning in and out of side streets just look for busses!

But a savvy rider will always look properly and be riding at a sensible speed to be able to stop if need be

Its the little shits on mopeds who fly about like loons that haven't got a clue!

at least you know not to ride in them... London are some yes some no, some yes for half then no for the rest. :shock:

pain in the arse trying to clock the bloody signs every time

You try it as an occasional visitor bloody nightmare, you cannot even rely on following other bikes as some seem to know where the bus lane cameras are and hop in and out....

As someone seems to travel to the same places only occasional you get quite perplexed by rules re motorbike bus lanes and the other thats as bad motorbike parking :o

So you can ride round a town & its carparks trying to find parking, I know there's various apps but once out of big cities they do not show them all.

Example I have been visiting my my local Lidl for months the other day when I was in the car it was busy in the back corner of the carpark I found dedicated motorbike parking!

The tyre marks over it says its regularly driven over by cars cutting the corner, so its not a space I will be using...

Trying to find the parking in advance is no better...

Look on the bright side the Camera vans will be taking a brake for the next month, they might as well wait until the new fines come in and they can earn some real money :?

In Manchester, (outskirts in paticular) you can drive your car in the bus lanes at certain times in some, not at all in others. The signs are pretty clear to be fair though.

Theres a couple like that near here. Main problem is the drivers who treat it as a bus lane all the time and if they dont see a bus they cut in at the end without checking properly. If I'm in the bus lane ( usually Sundays) i always keep a sharp eye out on the driver next door. Even more so on the bike.

Reading has some you can use, some you can't and some only at certain times.

Have to say I enjoy whizzing past queueing traffic on the main route out of Town in the mornings :lol:

Can't really argue with the response you got from Nottingham Council though, seems logical enough.

Can't see the logic myself.

The letter said vehicles were allowed into bus lanes depending on whether they are considered to be sustainable. Two bits of this don't make much sense to me. First off, wouldn't this mean that electric vehicles should be allowed in, and perhaps mopeds and 125s as well? But more importantly - why this principle? I thought the purpose of a bus lane was to reduce the traffic and congestion by making the bus journey faster, not to reduce the city's carbon footprint.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys.... older newbie here....

Back to the original post about bus lanes in Nottingham, I've noticed in this past week that the bus lanes on Mansfield Road from Sherwood into and out of the city are now open to motorcycles on a trial basis.

Not all bus lanes in the city are at the moment, the ones that are have a motorcycle symbol on the road signs (along with the bus and cyclist symbols).

I have emailed the council to congratulate them on this move and asked if they plan to extend it to other bus lanes in the city. If I get a response I'll let you know.

They have not replaced the signs.. they have just stuck on an outline.. for want of a better word, of a Motorbike next to the outline of a Bus, Taxi (black cab) and Bicycle. The 3 vehicles that can hitherto use bus lanes in Nottingham. very obvious that these are brand new as they are much cleaner than the older outline.

something like.. from this:

images-1.jpeg.e5a17982be37c7c2f4d7f11325b1a0e8.jpeg

To this:

Unknown-1.jpeg.f741439720a46e448ad8bc4a8be6e19a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Well I received a reply from Nottingham City Council as follows:-

"Many thanks for your positive message regarding our trial for Motorcycle in Bus Lanes on Mansfield Road. At the moment we are only 6 months into the 18 months trail, once the trial is complete we will analyse all our data to determine whether this policy will be rolled out citywide. We are hopeful, like you have done yourself, more people will look to change their ways of commuting into Nottingham to help reduce congestion and help contribute to better air quality."

Ah well, only another 12 months of the trial to go..... then another 6-12 months for them to make their mind up! :shock:

When I hear anything in say 2 years time..... you'll be the first to know! :lol:

Cheers

Kev