Proposed changes to CBT and tests

Fook sake Westbeef is that you in your signature video ... You fitted a turbo :shock:

Still no sound though.....

He's not gone down the electric route I hope ... worthy of a ban if he has . :wink:

Mate of mines dad had a brain tumour so they took his UK licence away, but was able to keep his European licence and continue to drive... !!

His revocation goes onto his DVLA record, which is linked to him, not his European license. He was able to keep the European license, but he is no longer permitted to drive in the UK.

As soon as the holder of a foreign license comes into contact with the DVLA a record is created for them with a DVLA driver number, even if they don't have a UK license.

This record is then used to track all penalty points, entitlements and restrictions for that person.

I don't think the new proposals are too bad. Especially the requirement of a theory test. I drive a car so I know about road signs, rules etc but when I did my CBT in October there were two young lads doing theirs on scooters and neither had driven cars or had much road knowledge. They did not answer many of the highway code questions the instructor asked and I was curious as to how they would manage when we did the road part of the CBT. Perhaps this was the fault of the instructor not being thorough enough, I don't know... but I do think a theory test before being allowed on the road would be a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought the perpetual L platers was a bad thing.

The Gov't/DVSA clearly feel that we're not properly safe on the road until we've passed our test. After all that's why there is one.

For many who just want to get from A to B however the cheapest and easiest way forward is simply CBT every 2 years.

Surely anything that makes that less likely, and gets more people to do the test properly is a good thing? I'd think that sitting the theory test before the CBT would be a good idea, after all if you're doing it on the path to a license you'd have been doing it anyway, and if you're planning on riding and renewing, what's the harm in having to learn the highway code?

The rest of the suggestions also seem to make sense, I can't think anything I saw that would make for less safe riders on the road, which surely is a good thing, and all without bumping up costs massively or being particularly draconian.

Allowing 21 years olds to ride unrestricted bikes (rather than at 24).

And rightly so. Hell, you can drive an HGV at 21!

24 is well into adulthood.

So you can vote, get married, have kids, join the army, gain a PhD and drive any car you want etc. etc. but not ride a reasonably powerful motorcycle. A nonsense.

It is also a (very) legally dubious age limit.

Allowing 21 years olds to ride unrestricted bikes (rather than at 24).

And rightly so. Hell, you can drive an HGV at 21!

24 is well into adulthood.

So you can vote, get married, have kids, join the army, gain a PhD and drive any car you want etc. etc. but not ride a reasonably powerful motorcycle. A nonsense.

It is also a (very) legally dubious age limit.

Hate to tell you you can drive a 44ton artic at 18

I didn't pass my car test until 1997 and had to do the (then) new theory test. Why should car drivers have to resit a theory test for motorbikes? (other than to fill the coffers of the treasury...)

I didn't pass my car test until 1997 and had to do the (then) new theory test. Why should car drivers have to resit a theory test for motorbikes? (other than to fill the coffers of the treasury...)

Because it's a different theory test. There are many motorcycle specific questions in it.

Because most people never bother to look at the Highway Code once they have passed a test.

Let me ask you a question if I may? Apart from preparing for your test, how many times or how did you look at the HC between your 2 tests?

How many times have you looked at the HC since your last test?

Some of the changes can be quite significant......

I guess that's a fair point. However as I drive as a courier for the Police I keep up to date with the latest changes. I would say that knowing absolutely nothing about bike riding I have still passed the mock Theory as common sense generally prevails. The only 1 or 2 questions I got wrong were only concerning bikes, not the highway code etc. I don't mind doing it again (other than paying for it!), and have mine booked in for next month to get it out of the way.

I guess that's a fair point. However as I drive as a courier for the Police I keep up to date with the latest changes.

I would not shout that from the rooftops too loudly :wink: :) The standard of driving in the Police service is by and large so poor these days it makes me cringe :roll:

I guess that's a fair point. However as I drive as a courier for the Police I keep up to date with the latest changes.

I would not shout that from the rooftops too loudly :wink: :) The standard of driving in the Police service is by and large so poor these days it makes me cringe :roll:

After almost being knocked off a couple of times by The Met TSG van I can vouch for that :popcorn:

My own experiences in London

The police bikers inc the (Diplomatic Squad) are awesome

High Speed pursuit cars again no issues.

Panda cars (are they still called that) 50/50

TSG van and transportation vans. Driven by knobbers (mind you who's going to pick an argument with them :D )

:tumble: