Zx6r engine trouble

Fatsam

Hi guys, went out on the bike yesterday and all was fine. Stopped at a friends for an hour got back on and off I went. Zx6r 1995.

Engine felt it had a vibration like it was running on 3 cylinders and when you throttle down was randomly back firing. Power seemed be there but doesn't feel right. Also a rattling seems to be front right of engine when idling. Any ideas?

OI OI What's going on here!

Yeah mine was a HUGE backfire that is probably due to gunky carbs so I have been putting a capful of redex in with every fill up - seems to have sorted it out. I haven't had any ongoing issues with it recently (touches all the wood in the room)

It also did once randomly die... but it started again the next day and never did it again (touch wood) so god knows what happened there.

Sorry probably not much help :(

ThanksMate, I darent start it now because of the rattling noise. Need it looked at.

Heard to diagnose at a distance, but if it's rattling and backfiring it could be slipped timing due to a knackered (or wrongly tensioned) cam chain.

I'm not familiar with your bike but if it was mine I'd pop the valve cover off and have a poke about.

Ok folks, I took cam chain tensioner out and it's at maximum (64mm) could I just swap for a manual tensioer or does it mean chain replace?

Is that the tensioners actual travel or is it just auto adjusted on removal ( did you remove it in the correct manner (if i remember correctly you remove the central tensioner bolt to remove the loading tension and then the housing bolts)

Generally cam chain wear is checked by its deflection between two points

If its saying that it has reached its maximum stretch limit i would do a visual check to rule out any broken/worn links especially if its a low milage engine

. Sometimes the cam tensioners get noisy on their point of adjustment and once adjust they take up the Slack and be quiet until the next click.

Ah, interesting. No I took outer bolts out first, I'll re fit later and try centre bolt. Makes sense that. Thank you, I'll be back on soon with result.

Some tensioners if fully extended by incorrect removal may require a new unit !

Others dont but anyway principal of them are ...

The centre bolt places tension on via spring so it would fully adjust .

You will need to get the tensioner blade back in ( generally a little pawl on the ratchet teeth method) or some work on a screw retention system )

To refit

Have tensioner centrebolt removed

Tensioner blade/arm fully retracted

Reattach tensioner body using mounting bolts Make sure any alignment marks in correct place (up etc) and gasket is sealed

Re insert tensioner central bolt and tighten ...you willhear it click ... turn engine over preferably by hand ( short spins on motor at worst ) .

Check tightness of bolts and for leaks

Removal

Undo and remove central bolt (warning will be under mild tension and possible plunger and spring mech may be detachable

Undo the mounting bolts

Withdraw the housing noting its alignments

Check tensioning arm/blade for damage and free travel .

I was thinking carb. icing!

does it even have carbs? :lol:

Kwaks used to be known for it!

Yes it has carbs. What's icing Mate?

Have a read of this. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing

It's not all the details but helps, and yes Kwaks were well known for it. My GPX had water heated carbs but still suffered occasionally

:lol: difficult to explain! You could try and google it :lol:

In certain atmospheric conditions the air passing through the air box to the carbs

can "freeze" causing fueling issues.

My old Bandit 600 used to do it. It felt like a misfire as one or more cylinders would cut out due to no fuel getting through.

I used to prevent it by putting Silkolene Pro FST in the fuel (from memory, at about 200ml per tank).

Tensioner still doing its job, put it all back together and started bike up. Still running like one cylinder not working.

I've cleaned and gapped plugs also checked each plug on ohms meter.

Got readings of 4.0. 4.32. 3.95. And. 3.62. Any ideas? Please

They are 5k resister plugs

Problem solved people. It turned out to be some corrosion in number 4 plug cap around the resister.

The simplest things eh. Also the rattle I had has sorted itself after I took the cam chain tensioner out and reset it.

Thank you for all the replies guys.