Baby wipes. (Thanks TC1474)

Things to get/check:

Breakdown cover

Vehicle service

Tyre life check

Check Insurance covers you

Laws, Rules, etc:

hi-viz for breakdowns

Filtering (Illegal in France, do at your own risk)

Reflective patches on helmet (legal requirement) < After speaking to some French bikers, apparently no-one really bothers.

Speed camera positions on devices are a big NO NO in France.

GB Sticker on Licence plate

Been to France but reflective patches on helmets???

Never seen it in my entire life!

Having said that it's not such a bad idea. After all, they do like to mow people down (and with "they" I mean people in cars...)

Been to France but reflective patches on helmets???

Never seen it in my entire life!

Having said that it's not such a bad idea. After all, they do like to mow people down (and with "they" I mean people in cars...)

In this photo taken at a demo in paris...

arton30005.thumb.jpg.61e14231d29e7c6a41d9fc77edc5724a.jpg

The chap facing the camera has a sticker above his eyes.. and to his immediate right, the chap wearing the black furygan jacket has a sticker visible on the lower side of his helmet.

In Paris.. you will se the majority with stickers.. but they're not noticeable unless you're looking for them.. even less visible on light coloured or white helmets. (except at night of course.)

and another...

manif-moto-ffmc-16.jpg.7a7c83fb4d4018695f97732ce89ba9ba.jpg

If you buy a helmet within France, these stickers are included in the sale.. visitors are required by law to have them too.. though this is generally ignored by everyone. Including yours truly.

I might take a different view if I was visiting Paris and thought I might be riding at night. The Fine is I believe €135 and paid on the spot.

I have also read something that says if the helmet is CE approved for france then you must have them if not it doesn't matter

I can't see that as truth to be honest :? and I can't find a lot of information on it :?

another one france have slipped in is that you must wear CE approved gloves for riders and pillions this is a new one for this year

Hi I´m Frank from Germany,

I do a lot of travelling by motorcycle - beside many other trips in Europe me and my girlfriend rode around the world for three and a half years.

It´s impossible to write all the information, we´ve collected down here in this thread, but If you have any specific question about a country, we´ve been to, I´m happy to answere it.

Same for generel questions about (long term) travelling, trip planning, temporary import/export, which is necessary for nearly each country outside the EU/Schengen countries, shipping the bike, etc.

Feel free to ask. I love to answere.

Cheers

Frank

Taken from my one about France:

Speed camera positions on devices are a big NO NO in France.

This is true, however when i updated my Garmin SATNAV the french camera positions were replaced with a popup which stated "dangerous zones" or similar. there could be a camera somewhere in this area and this is supposedly in accordance with French law

My abroad tour was to Ireland. You need to carry your insurance document with you. Nobody bothers with GB stickers. Most border crossings are not marked in any way, you just realise you have gone from north to south or vice versa because the road signs change. Any speed camera detection or position indicators are illegal. Watch out that the speed limit also changes from mph to kph. That is it really.

• 1 month later...

Great info keep it coming :cheers: my son and I are thinking of doing the alps in June for 6 or 7 days, will be camping so any info would be much appreciated ie. Routes camp sites prices. Fairly new to biking am I jumping in at the deep end ?

Great info keep it coming :cheers: my son and I are thinking of doing the alps in June for 6 or 7 days, will be camping so any info would be much appreciated ie. Routes camp sites prices. Fairly new to biking am I jumping in at the deep end ?

6 or 7 days. Does that include the 'getting there and back again' from Durham?

If it doesn't... If this is the time you'll have on the continent or in the mountains, then start by choosing the area you want to explore.. Which country or countries, for instance France or France and Switzerland. Or... If you go down the other side, Austria or Austria and Italy. Or even Austria and Slovenia.

Give yourself a goal or goals... And then the planning becomes much easier.

As an example.. for my trip (with friends) this year the goal is to ride up the highest paved road in the Alps.. the second highest paved road in Europe. so.. all the planning has been geared towards that.

its a dead end road in the western Austrian Tyrol.. just one of many attractions for that area.. but this is what is drawing me there. the Ötztal Glacier Road (circled)

1323143661_WesternTyrol.thumb.jpg.02fe5b066d5f0e2046dfdcb5cdea53aa.jpg

I'm sure you'll get loads of lists of what you supposedly do need, so the most value I can add here is to bust a MYTH about what isn't needed.

Reflective Stickers on helmets in France, it's bull excrement.

It is law in France that helmets must have stickers on, and French helmets come with the stickers in the box, but the legislation is quite clear that the law ONLY APPLIES TO HELMETS BOUGHT IN FRANCE. If you are visiting from the UK you DO NOT need them. I'm a French speaker and I have read the legislation. Even the AA's / RAC's websites used to get this wrong, but have been updated.

I question whether the copper that stops you will have read the legislation and know that visiting bikers are subject to different rules to the locals, but the writing of legislation and the enforcement of legislation in France are two completely different things, and I doubt the copper will even care.

My family in Hamburg have invited me to the NW coast of Norway for a weeks sea fishing (I don't fish but I'm the most experienced at the helm of the boat).

I'd really like to go on the bike but there doesn't seem to be any ferries going to that part of the world anymore. Only option is to sail into Holland or tunnel into France. But that's a long way to get to Norway.

Does anyone know if there's a shorter option that I have missed?

Immingham to Gothenburg Sweden

This is a freight ferry that supposedly will carry bikers... It makes no-frills look like 5 star luxury. Operated by DFDS. Some risk to booking as they prioritise freight... So you might book... Turn up and be refused because a Lorry has arrived and the driver has snaffled your cabin

this is what is drawing me there. the Ötztal Glacier Road

any particular reason ?

:cheers:

As I mentioned... I think it's good to have a goal. This one is the highest road in the Alps. The second highest paved road in Europe. Not far from it is the highest pass in Switzerland: the Umbrail. And the highest pass in Italy: the Stelvio.

All within easy reach of our base. The Stelvio is just 50 miles away.

the Ötztal Glacier Road

This one is the highest road in the Alps. The second highest paved road in Europe...... the highest pass in Italy: the Stelvio.

All within easy reach of our base. The Stelvio is just 50 miles away.

OK... I`ve added it to one of my routes .. I had noticed it but dismissed it as uninteresting ..

its 68 miles from a stop over .. :cheers:

NB... part of this road has a toll of €5.50 for 1 rider and a bike.

Tyrol to Timmelsjoch rtn..gpx

Tyrol to Timmelsjoch rtn.

• 2 weeks later...

Guardian article here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/11/france-clean-air-stickers-vehicles-high-pollution-areas-paris-smog

The legal stuff here (best viewed with Google Chrome with automatic translation)

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/Un-certificat-qualite-de-l-air,43566.html

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/demande/cgu

The facility to register non French vehicles goes live on the 1st of February 2017.

More crap to adhere to in France

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The French love their stickers don't they!!

"The Crit’Air initiatives require all cars, motorbikes and lorries to display a windscreen sticker"

Erm...have they heard of naked bikes?