Bike twitchy

asharin

I just got my bike back, with the fork oil seals now redone properly this time. Seems just right on the fork movement so all sorted there, yet the bike still seems to be twitching to the right.

Could this just be my nerves after crashing 2 weeks ago due to the forks?

Could low tyre pressure cause this?

I rode it back from the repairs earlier and it seemed twitchy..after I got home, I checked the tyres by hand and they seemed a little low, but with no pressure guage it's hard to tell..will borrow one from work tomorrow and see.

So would low tyre pressure cause the twitchiness? Or is it likely something else..I don't THINK it was just nerves, the bike genuinely felt wrong.

I'd like to get the problem sorted as I plan on selling the bike cheaply, and I'd hate for someone to kill themselves on it after buying :o

check the wheel alignment, could the rear wheel isn't sat straight,. or worst case the frame got bent..

also check fork alignment..

EDIT, have you fixed the bars, i.e. Replaced with straight... lightly bent bars will cause a twitch...

Wheel alignment, obvious really, didn't pop into my head though. I think a bent frame is unlikely, it went downa nd slid but hit nothing else...but never can tell.

Looking increasingly like a sell as spares or repairs...but hey if just the wheel alignment it might not be so bad..will check in daylight, thanks for the advice.

to save your behind in a sale (ebay) i would list as spares or repair, don't list the faults, anyone picking up a bike for S&R will go over it.... also when someone does buy it, pen a receipt, 2 copies yours/theirs sign both and they sign too, stating

Reg Mark ______________

Sold on Date ______________________

Sold as Spares /Repair with no Warranty Given or Implied..

give a copy to them and keep a copy, this is to cover your behind..

obviously try and make it as attractive as possible.. list good points, new fork seals tyre condition etc.. is it a good runner,..

show pictures of any majors like dented tank, but don't go into full list of problems etc..

and i'd include that it would make an excellent bike once repaired for a learner.. and an easy project for someone with a little bike maintenance experience..

these are ideas, i don't know the bike so cannot draw up a full advert, but this may get you a better sale..

When I bought my bike I rode it back home over 90 miles and it was "twitchy"...checked tyre pressures and they were under half the recommended pressure! Needless to say it's sharp as a sharp thing now.

to save your behind in a sale (ebay) i would list as spares or repair, don't list the faults, anyone picking up a bike for S&R will go over it.... also when someone does buy it, pen a receipt, 2 copies yours/theirs sign both and they sign too, stating

Reg Mark ______________

This aint worth shit... if anyone has any sense when signing this if they're buying they'll just mock up a fake signature.

Reg Mark ______________

This aint worth shit... if anyone has any sense when signing this if they're buying they'll just mock up a fake signature.

i've used similar in the past, and we do the same in the car trade with trade sales.. anyone wanting to pen a duff signature is probably the kind that will come back and try and get money back, this is written confirmation that the item was Sold As Seen.. and list it so in the advert, if they bid, then they have read the agreement, accepted it and have entered into a contract, and contracts bind both parties by law..

:stupid:

A receipt with "a mark" on is better than nowt. If they came back to me and said "that's not my signature" I'd say "well you're a dip shit for getting it wrong when you signed it then, ey?". And in a court of law if it went that far I'd reckon the magistrate/judge/jury would be smart enough to think matey boy had given a dodgy moniker.

:stupid:

A receipt with "a mark" on is better than nowt. If they came back to me and said "that's not my signature" I'd say "well you're a dip shit for getting it wrong when you signed it then, ey?". And in a court of law if it went that far I'd reckon the magistrate/judge/jury would be smart enough to think matey boy had given a dodgy moniker.

What if they come back to you and say "hey dip shit never seen that before, you have mocked that up... look, it doesnt even match my signature... I'm going to take you to court"

what i am saying is if you list in an advert that someone buys from that the item is XYZ, they cannot come back and say it wasn't, so a copy of the advert and a written receipt will stand up in court more than hearsay, he said/she said, etc..

otherwise we'd all be signing stuff with dodgy signatures and walking away with the goods..

I work in a finance so when i go chasing people for money through the court, any contract i have is copied to the court as proof of a binding agreement. i haven't had one rejected yet,

but Asharin, the choice is yours, and everyone elses, but if you get scammed then its your money, not mine.

What if they come back to you and say "hey dip shit never seen that before, you have mocked that up... look, it doesnt even match my signature... I'm going to take you to court"

Rick, if they want to take you to court, then let them, if they have responded to an advert, then the advert can be used as proof of offer , the acceptance fo the offer becomes the payment.. as when the money changes hands it confirms an Agreement/contract..

edit, see here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract

"Yes Your Honour, he was standing right in front of me when he signed it. Yes Your Honour, I did notice he signed it Donald Duck, but how was I to know it wasn't his real name?"

Truth is, the fact that he signs in front of you is good enough, but if you're that paranoid ask to take a look at his photo driving licence and compare the two :)

Borrowed a pressure guage from work today, will check the tyres when I get home (I walked into work haha)

Won't I feel a bit silly if it's just the tyres? After all that's what could have caused the crash :D

Mind you I did check the tyres only 4 days beforehand, but I have to admit I did rely on the guage on our el cheapo Ronson compressor/jump starter thingy (are they unreliable?)

However, the work done previously on the forks was still shockingly bad even if it wasn't the primary cause of my off, still have half a mind to take them to a small claims court, but not sure if I can prove they did the damage as I am no mechanic and have never previously seen the insides of my forks.

By the way Colin, could you do that reminder in bigger text, I am not sure I read it right! :D :D

Oops :oops: Was half my fault then! Tyre pressure was almost half what it should have been! Shows how reliable the guage on the compresser was (it still showed the right amount before I used a dedicated guage!)

So I guess poor handling due to tyres low, then the fork going at that exact moment, tipped me over. I'm off to the motorists discount centre monday to get me a proper pressure guage!

Or I might just get the one Colin linked :)

Having said that I haven't taken the bike for a test ride yet, I just pumped up the tyres..will go out after dinner for a test run :)

Super duper!

Don't be surprised if it's still ever so very slightly "odd"...if you've been running it with low pressure for a good while the wear on the tyre may be off so will need a few miles to round it out again. But I reckon you'll definitely notice a big difference now!

EDIT: Tesco sell some decent digital pressure gauges too. I bought an Oxford one from a local bike shop and the same one at Tesco (unbranded) was half the price! I've had a look on the website but can't find it :( !

Rode up to my mums and back, was fie on the way there, felt a little odd on the way back. Tyre pressure was fine though, I think it was as you say, the wear on the tyre may be off :)

Didn't feel like it was going to fall over though, just 'odd' bit like the rider :D

Still getting a new bike though, this ones costing me too much :)

Rode up to my mums and back, was fie on the way there, felt a little odd on the way back. Tyre pressure was fine though, I think it was as you say, the wear on the tyre may be off :)

Didn't feel like it was going to fall over though, just 'odd' bit like the rider :D

Still getting a new bike though, this ones costing me too much :)

What size engine you after? I might be sellin my 125 Intruder in a week or so depending on how the ol test goes.

You must pay attention to your tyres. No matter how super duper the bike or how skilled the rider if the bit that connects the bike to the floor doesn't work, brakes and steering become useless. Inspect them and monitor the pressures every time you ride 8-)

I did, but as I said, the guage on the compressor wasn't very accurate :D I know now for future reference!