Toseland First ride on the R1

awwwnuts

JT as had a good first day testing on the R1. Little off the pace, compared with the other riders, but first time at this track and the bike. Good to see JT back up there though. Tomorrows results will be interesting.

TODAYS REPORT FROM YAMAHA

James Toseland, Yamaha World Superbike Team(1'43.7)

“I’m feeling really positive, it’s obviously my first time on the bike, it felt a bit alien after two years on a GP bike but the balance of the bike felt good and I’m really impressed with how the team’s working, I’ve got an old friend of mine as a chief engineer. I’ve been really impressed to work with him today and Silvano Galbusera (Yamaha World Superbike Team Technical Co-ordinator) looking over him with his experience has been great. What’s been nice is the changes we’ve been making have always been in a positive direction, so to say we’ve got down to more or less race pace on a brand new track and a brand new bike is good, I’m pretty pleased with it.”

1. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1min 42.156sec

2. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) 1min 42.362sec

3. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 1min 42.795sec

4. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) 1min 43.098sec

5. Leon Haslam (Suzuki) 1min 43.300sec

6. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1min 43.400sec

7. James Toseland (Yamaha) 1min 43.700sec

8. Max Neukirchner (Honda) 1min 43.810sec

9. Leon Camier (Aprilia) 1min 43.900sec

10. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki) 1min 43.902sec

11. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1min 43.951sec

12. Javier Fores (Ducati) 1min 44.413sec

13. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1min 45.500sec

14. Regis Laconi (Ducati) 1min 46.458sec

I honestly think Toseland's style suits the Superbikes better and I reckon it won't be long before he's up to speed.

The field's really strong for next season so it's anyone's to win but my money's on Johnny Rea!

:D

Its almost a shame that JT went to GP. I think he could have had another championship under his belt if he had stuck with Ten Kate and developed the CBR further. They certainly took a knock when he left. At least he gave it a try though, and you can't knock that. I do wonder if his results tailed off after the complaints of his aggressive style when he first went to GP. Did he back off. i don't really know because we didn't get to see much of him. I hope in the last race he gives them some good old WSBK fairing bashing, especially the wingers who complained.

Have to agree there is so many potential race winners that its going to be a very close season. Haga will defiantly be up there, but Fabrizio is going to be pushing him all the way. Curious I can't remember when Ducati last had 2 strong riders. probably when Laconi was pushing with JT.

DAY 2 TEST TIMES

1. Jonathan Rea (Honda) 1min 41.878sec

2. Michel Fabrizio (Ducati) 1min 41.992sec

3. Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha) 1min 42.115sec

4. Leon Haslam (Suzuki) 1min 42.251sec

5. Max Biaggi (Aprilia) 1min 42.710sec

6. Leon Camier (Aprilia) 1min 42.790sec

7. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) 1min 43.098sec*

8. James Toseland (Yamaha) 1min 43.147sec

9. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1min 43.425sec

10. Max Neukirchner (Honda) 1min 43.549sec

11. Sylvain Guintoli (Suzuki) 1min 43.612sec

12. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki) 1min 43.902sec*

13. Javier Fores (Ducati) 1min 44.413sec*

14. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki) 1min 44.900sec

15. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Honda) 1min 44.908sec

16. Alex Hofmann (Aprilia) 1min 45.5sec

17. Regis Laconi (Ducati) 1min 46.458sec*

* set on day one.

Report from Crash.net

Toseland: It’s taking time to tame the beast!

James Toseland has pronounced himself happy with his performance during post-season testing at Portimao, as he took the first steps to becoming reacquainted with World Superbike machinery for the first time in two years.

Having made a swift return to Europe following his MotoGP race outing in Malaysia, Toseland spent the first day learning his way around the title-winning Yamaha R1, as well as the undulating Portuguese circuit.

From there, Toseland began to improve his times, the two-time World Superbike Champion joining a handful of contemporaries in the lapping faster than Ben Spies did over the race weekend.

Managing a best time of 1min 43.147secs – placing him eighth on the unofficial timesheets -, although Toseland was a second slower than new team-mate Cal Crutchlow, he insists it was important he focused on finding the bike's limits and not crashing.

“I've been looking at Ben's race time and in two days on the bike we are nearly a second a lap faster by the end, which I'm quite pleased with,” he said. “We've got some work to do but for my first test on the bike we've been getting to understand the suspension and a few things and getting to understand how the bike reacts to some changes. We're working on some of the electronics and an area of engine work as well.

“We've had a good test and have a lot of information to work on for next year. I like the bike, it's so much different to what I'm used to though so it's taking some time to tame the beast!

“When you ride a heavier bike you have to take your time to find its limits. One thing I didn't want to do was crash as I've got another GP to race next week. I'm really pleased with the team, and looking forward to testing again as soon as possible.”

Team manager Massimo Meregalli was also pleased with Toseland's efforts, particularly given he hasn't ridden a production-based bike since 2007.

“James needs some time after a two year run in Moto GP he's in a different world and riding on a very difficult circuit. He made good improvements from yesterday so he's keeping going in the right direction.”

Toseland will get his one chance to go head-to-head with Spies, his replacement at Tech 3 Yamaha, at the 2009 MotoGP finale in Valencia when the American enters as a wild-card.

Guest nastro azzurro

he will be up at the sharp end without a doubt. Unfortunately he will always be compared to BS. He is/was just a total phenomenon on that bike last year.

he will be up at the sharp end without a doubt. Unfortunately he will always be compared to BS. He is/was just a total phenomenon on that bike last year.

....There is a reason for BS's speed....

">