Carburettor advise / information

red

Morning all,

Well I am on a mission to make my Bandit 6 a bit happier.

I've just swapped my carburettors for a spare set as my original set had a broken idle screw and also one of the vacuum nipples had been snapped off by a previous owner and they'd just welded over the hole to fix it meaning the carburettors could not be balanced correctly.

My new carburettors have a working idle screw and all nipples are in place.

Now i've not had much time to investigate this yet but when I fired up my bike for the first time last night (10pm) it was sitting at about 6000 RPM! :shock: I swiftly cut the engine as my bike is far to noisy to be running in my garage at high revs at that time of night.

Anyway; I think the idle screw was fully adjusted to the slowest setting before I fired it up. I was also expecting to have to balance the carburettors to get it running smoothly.

My question is, why would it have been running that high and what else can I adjust to bring the RPM down to a sensible level?

The idle screw is currently fully adjusted clockwise, so it can be turned anti-clockwise (which would appear to tighten it up)

Any suggestions / ideas? I'll be having a look when I get in from work.

Thanks!

Matt

I'm open to all suggestions 8-)

The choke was fully closed and the cable is correctly adjusted, I made sure there was no pull on the choke mechanism or the throttle lever :thumb:

(I did notice the choke cable is a bit frayed, but that's a job for another day, greased it up to reduce the wear)

Hmmm by throttle lever I guess you checked the throttle cable routing as well?

Been a while since I last had all my carbs out but I'll think long and hard on this one all day! I'm sure other more useful sages will be along soon...

Yep snaps back and closes fully. I was a bit sceptical about re-attaching the cables but it seems to be good.

Yeah tonight before 10pm .. probably 5pm i'll be trying that with the idle screw!