Changing chain and sprockets..

Guest CobbZ

Ok, so i've purchased a chain and sprocket kit off eBay for my bike. But i don't know how to go about fitting them?

A Haynes manual costs about £15, and frankly im trying to save as much cash as possible lol. Does anyone have a general guide for doing it?

Anything from a step-by-step guide, to a video, to pictures.... Also, what tools will i need? My bike has a centre stand, so i imagine all i will need is a set of spanners?

Thanks for any help guys!

You will need more than spanners... A decent socket set is a must.

Have you got a mate who can help who has done it before?

Crack nut on front sprocket before you break chain.

Get the manual Cobbz. For the £15 notes, it'll pay for itself. Honest.

EDIT: Have a look on youtube m8

you'll need to remove the sprocket cover to gain access to the main sprocket. do this first to find sporcket size, if you cant remove the front sprocket, then take it to a pro.. (with your Ebay chain/sprockets...)

following tools are a must

allen keys for sprocket cover

spanner (13mm?) for rear sprocket nuts

socket set with socket for rear axle/spindle

breaker bar or wheel brace bar (extendable) from Halfords...

with large socket for front sprocket (i.e 32mm)

a chain breaker or angle grinder

a chain rivet tool...

doesn't look so cheap now does it......

preferably have a mate on hand for when you attempt to undo the front sprocket... loosen the rear sprocket nuts before removing the wheel, helps to have rear brake on (mate again) or in gear,..

there is a link to my GSX manual (guides/manuals) on here, find the page you want and print off, removal of one chain isn't dissimilar from another...

You could always ask a local garage how much,£50 ish would be about right,i'm all for having a go but believe me if your not experienced in basic mechanics you could end up spending a lot more than your trying to save,

following tools are a must

a chain breaker or angle grinder

a chain rivet tool...

doesn't look so cheap now does it......

preferably have a mate on hand for when you attempt to undo the front sprocket

Well i have all the other tools (my dads got quite a set really, has a socket set and good spanner set from when he worked for GM Buses/Stagecoach as a mechanic), how much would those two things be? I've never heard of a "rivet" tool. Whats one of those?

And i think my dad will be doing most of it lol, with me being the helper :P

Thanks for the help guys!

Does the new chain have a horseshoe link (like on a bicycle chain) or a rivet link to join it? Or is it maybe and endless chain?

If it has a rivet link you will need a chain rivetter - a good one is about £100 so you may be better off fitting the sprockets with the old chain and taking the bike and new chain to a local shop for them to fit. I did this last time round - cost £20.

If you bought an endless chain then you've got even more fun in store!

Are your dad's tools metric?

Thats excellent frankie :D

I reckon i could do that actually! Looks like that big SV is easier to work on than a little bike like mine tho... (more room to maneuver i mean)

Thanks very much :D

Aha! I did it!

Very very pleased with myself :D Wasn't difficult to take the wheel off and the sprockets were ok... Managed to get the chain on, master link done e.t.c... i'm pretty sure the wheel is straight but might ask someone to check it for me haha. There are these dials on each side of the wheel that keep that side of the wheel a certain distance from the bolt for the suspension i think. anyway, got 'em both on 7 and checked that the front of the wheel was equidistant from the bars (Swingarm?) by fitting three fingers between it and the rim of the wheel haha.

Sounds like a botch job, pretty much is but it appears to be fine. Took it out for a quick ride, all seems fine.

Aha! I did it!

Very very pleased with myself :D Wasn't difficult to take the wheel off and the sprockets were ok...

Dont mean to rain on your parade mate but i'm a firm believer in chain & sprockets should be replaced as a set,if for example the bikes done 25000 miles then both have worn out by 25000 miles,so for argunents sake the new chain gets to 10000 miles the sprockets have done 35000 miles worn sprockets will prematurly wear a new chain I'm the same with tyres have to change them as a pair :lol: