Cold weather issues or general issues?

Guest jmgj27

My Honda CBF600 is playing up at the moment - first the battery went flat (my fault, I left her out in the snow) - then after I jump-started her she was fine. This morning I went to ride her for the first time in a week and there was a lot of grumbling. Engine sounded gritty and felt heavy (very slow to accelerate) and smoky exhaust. I initially thought it was just the cold weather but then noticed some corrosion and white smoke leaking out from behind the radiator. Is it just cold weather or something more serious I should get my hot mechanic neighbour to check out? Also, does anyone else find Hondas just the slightest bit fussy about the weather?

My Honda CBF600 is playing up at the moment - first the battery went flat (my fault, I left her out in the snow) - then after I jump-started her she was fine. This morning I went to ride her for the first time in a week and there was a lot of grumbling. Engine sounded gritty and felt heavy (very slow to accelerate) and smoky exhaust. I initially thought it was just the cold weather but then noticed some corrosion and white smoke leaking out from behind the radiator. Is it just cold weather or something more serious I should get my hot mechanic neighbour to check out? Also, does anyone else find Hondas just the slightest bit fussy about the weather?

as its liquid cooled, has the coolant got enough antifreeze, squeeze the pipes to check they arent frozen, if they are you need to let the old girl defrost and get some antifreeze in there...

and when did you last check the engine oil level...

I don't think your battery should be empty from the cold. About the smoke and badly running engine, if theres no major problems it should clear up after the engine is properly warm.

The smoke from the radiator is possibly steam from an exhaust heating up, it could be coolant, I'd keep an eye on it.

Your hot mechanic neighbour sounds great, put a piccy up. (That applies only if you're male or lesbian and the neighbour is female :wink: )

Honda's are pretty much bulletproof, riding an old Kawasaki in the winter is much more of an adventure.

Keep safe.

I had thought about the oil to be honest - it's been about 6 months since the MOT and that would be when it was last checked - the oil cap is an absolute pain to open (I need a vice-like grip to open it) so I don't do it as often as I should.

How do I go about checking the pipes? I'm not a complete idiot (I promise) but she is my first bike so there are things I don't know (managed fine last winter though :roll: )

Sadly for you Dutch Mick I'm neither lesbian nor male so I think our tastes in hot neighbours probably wouldn't quite agree...(if I can get a pic though I still might - preferably if he's wearing something tight and short...)

How do I go about checking the pipes? I'm not a complete idiot (I promise) but she is my first bike so there are things I don't know (managed fine last winter though :roll: )

find a rubber coolant pipe and squeeze, if its ice cold and solid then you coolant is water, not much else.. so has frozen in the cold temps..

if it squishes (tech term..lol) then its still liquid as it should be..

alternatively, take the lid off the radiator/coolant bottle and peer inside, you should be able to see if its frozen or not.

and H*ndas aren't bulletproof from bad maintenance.....

some white smoke may indicate steam, water evaporating from a hot engine, if its coming from snow/ice/rain its nothing to worry about, if its coming from a pipe connection, then theres probably a leak..

the oil cap is an absolute pain to open (I need a vice-like grip to open it) so I don't do it as often as I should.

use a pair of pliers and an old rag... works for me.. put the rag between the mouth/teeth of the pliers and put the open (business end) onto the oil cap, and turn..

pliers.jpg.2bf052795ac9e74e940e57251d6be980.jpg

Hmmm I would give it a miss putting a pic up of hot neighbour, now we know they are a male. lol.........I know im just as bad but if you havent checked oil in 6 months and you ride fairly regulary, I would check it straight away. After all they do suggest to check it weekly if you ride often on it.

Cheers everybody. Will try the various tips. I hate taking my bike to the garage as they are definitely a 'male only' zone and crap at providing me with useful advice when I need it (without being paralysing patronising at the same time). :up:

I will check my oil straightaway - didn't realise it was a once a week thing and I will have a go at checking out the coolant levels tomorrow in the daylight, see if I can work out how that's doing.

:cheers:

moved into pitstop for you :thumb:

You don't say how old your bike is? The reason I ask, if your bike is fuel injected and you have jump started it..... Worst case scenario, you can spike the ECU. like I say, worst case scenario ....

Hopefully its just the weather!

As for checking the oil, doesn't the honda have an oil window? I ask because mine did. My current steed however has a dipstick ... (usually riding it :mrgreen: )

POWDER check your bike at least once a week (preferably before each ride)

P-Petrol. Enough for journey, fresh.

O-Oil. Check oil level and if low top up following manufacturers recommendations. Use only the correct oil (not car oil).

W-Water. Check coolant level. Top up using pre-mix coolant or water if none available. Also other liquids such as clutch and brake fluid levels.

D-Drive and Damage. Check drive, either chain (sprockets also) for wear. Retension if necessary. If shaft drive check oil reservoir in drive shaft. Check for any damage all round machine - lever ends, plastics, bolts such as spindle bolts and headstock (not exhaustive list)

E-Electrics. Check lights, horn, indicators. Check levels on battery (unless sealed unit)

R-Rubber. Check tyre pressure. Check tyre tread depth (legal minimum 1mm!!?). Check valve for damage, ensure the valve cap is in place (preferably a metal one as this creates the seal to keep the air in). Check side walls and tread for damage.

Seems a lot but it only takes 2-5 minutes. Could save your life.