not holding revs

Guest ziasyed

hi to all - I have a Jinlun 125 - just started out - the bike strarts with choke but it drops in revs until it stalls - it doesnt start either without throttle (electric ignition on a fob) - all i know is that previously its been stood for a good 6 months - tried redx fuel system in the tank to give the carbs a clean - no luck - can anyone advise please?

hi to all - I have a Jinlun 125 - just started out - the bike strarts with choke but it drops in revs until it stalls - it doesnt start either without throttle (electric ignition on a fob) - all i know is that previously its been stood for a good 6 months - tried redx fuel system in the tank to give the carbs a clean - no luck - can anyone advise please?

start the bike with choke, leave for ten mins to warm up, then take the choke off, if it starts to stall adjust the idle / tickover screw on the carb, normally a big black plastic thumb turning screw, or see your manual.. sounds like your revs are too low.. wants to be a nice steady idle, just before it starts to stall...

unless your not giving it enough time on choke.. it needs to warm up..

thanks for the response - had the chok on for ten minutes or so and tried adjusting the idle - if the revs started to fall to stalling stage i upped the choke but then it was too sensitive an revved too high. Ill try and spend some more time on it tomorrow so long as the weather holds. It may be the sparks need replacing or carb cleaning? Cheers for your feedback

The first movement of the choke lever increases the revs. Further movement of the lever chokes off the air. If the bike ticks over fine but a little fast with a little choke the tickover needs adjusting.

This is nothing to do with the choke lever, most bikes have an easily accessible screw to adjust the speed of the tickover. If you can't find it you need a manual which will show you where it is 8-)

thanks for the response - had the chok on for ten minutes or so and tried adjusting the idle - if the revs started to fall to stalling stage i upped the choke but then it was too sensitive an revved too high. Ill try and spend some more time on it tomorrow so long as the weather holds. It may be the sparks need replacing or carb cleaning? Cheers for your feedback

instead of upping the choke, increase the idle, as per Colin...

thanks again guys - the machine wouldnt start at all today even with choke on though the ignition was kickin in. Ill wait till feb do my CBT and then get it sorted. Somone told me today that I dont need the choke on for more than around 20 secs or ill flood th engine and I should turn down/off the choke once its on then use the throttle. Cant wait to get her on the road and she what shes like. Thanks

thanks again guys - the machine wouldnt start at all today even with choke on though the ignition was kickin in. Ill wait till feb do my CBT and then get it sorted. Somone told me today that I dont need the choke on for more than around 20 secs or ill flood th engine and I should turn down/off the choke once its on then use the throttle. Cant wait to get her on the road and she what shes like. Thanks

In this weather my choke is on for about ten mins, and never heard of it flooding the engine, that happens when you give it a load of throttle when trying to start...

adjust the choke as required, if the bike starts to die, more choke, you want a steady revs of about 3000 rpm.. then just over the 1000 for idle,

are you using your bike or the schools for the cbt...? if yours you'll need it running right beforehand..