starting issue

Gamer

Hi,

Yesterday my bike surprised me :)

Nice evening still some day light so I decided to go for a ride to (learn) navigate some roundabouts.

Story before the question.

On a bike, stand up, key on, power !! - ups nothing - like there was no power.

Tryied few times - nothing at all. Tested the lights, horn - battery is fine.

Than I flicked few times the cut off switch.

I have noticed that the rev gauge is jumping up while changing cut off switch position.

So clutch in starter on and flick the switch again - got a short brust only.

Few more times and finally it settled in position and I could start the engine. Tried few times (without moving red one) and it started again no problems.

It is parked on a street (dead end type) and fragile to the weather.

Question?

What should I do now - strip it all clean it or should I simply replace it?

How difficult or expensive it can be? I will try myself first.

Is it something that can stop me in the middle of nowhere - and prevent the bike from going anywhere?

Suzuki GSX600F 1999

PS

Today morning on the other hand all fine - but I did not stop the engine by use of switch yesterday.

My Firestorm is like this. I just don't use the kill switch. It isn't difficult to take off and clean up though, I'd have a go at that if it worries you.

clutch switch. clutch has to be engaged for the starter to spin, otherwise nothing..

clean contacts for clutch switch, and do you have heated grips, could be the grips are fouling the lever which isn't letting it come back far enough to engage the switch.

I have the same mechanicals...

What do you mean by "It settled in position"?

when I will finally find a "connection" and it is definite on for power to go through the kill switch

WF

I would rather say that the switch is playing around

No hot grips

When I can find clutch switch to clean it? WD40 will be enough?

Still I should clean my bike well - with oil in every possible place

Phill

But I am not consistant and sometimes just kill switch to stop the engine (too far for key to turn :cry: )

Thanks

PS

Sorry I was the one stuck abroad (volcano dust or something) :evil:

clutch switch. clutch has to be engaged for the starter to spin, otherwise nothing..

clean contacts for clutch switch, and do you have heated grips, could be the grips are fouling the lever which isn't letting it come back far enough to engage the switch.

I had the same problem (took a little extra effort to get the switch to engage) when i had the grips on. But when i came off the bike i seemed to damage the or move the clutch a bit and make it generally harder to move the switch. Its ok now though i've looked at it.

The switch should be connected to the clutch (have a look under you may see a little tab and connector.) Take off the clutch and it should expose the switch, what i did was put a little switch cleaner in there and make sure the tab moved fully / easily.

Hope this makes sense was a little while ago when i last looked at it :lol: