ER5 Help needed

tomoore8

I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the problem with my er5. I went out for a quick ride and as i came home i realised my bike was leaking oil very badly. The oil is leaking from the oil presure valve (i think ?), i've added a couple of pics of where the oils leaking from. I'm not sure how to fix it and weather the part can be replaced easily. It's very loose and just keeps turning not getting any tighter, also a small piece rubber came off that was around it. Any ideas?

Photo027.jpg.b28842b2fd58537a18b3b3927e506227.jpg

Photo028.jpg.6edb87e6955d10a2c1da0b02648392cb.jpg

The rubber will be its seal... If its not getting any tighter, either the thread of the bolt is gone/worn, or the thread of whatever it screws into is ruined. I recommend searching eBay for a new bolt and a new seal, and seeing if that fixes the problem.

If the new screw and seal doesn't work, then the thread of whatever it screws into doesn't work. Then you're in trouble...

But try that for now :)

The rubber will be its seal... If its not getting any tighter, either the thread of the bolt is gone/worn, or the thread of whatever it screws into is ruined. I recommend searching eBay for a new bolt and a new seal, and seeing if that fixes the problem.

If the new screw and seal doesn't work, then the thread of whatever it screws into doesn't work. Then you're in trouble...

But try that for now :)

The other thing is it won't actually come out at all, it just keeps turning. So not sure how to actually get it out and replace it.

That would suggest that the part of the thread in the housing is knackered

Try placing a flat bladed screw driver underneath the washer and applying a small amount of pressure while turning with the spanner or posi screwdriver to help bring the bolt out.

Once out you may be lookin g at recutting the thread in the housing and putting a slightly larger bolt in or having it helicoiled

Might be easier to take it to a shop?

Just my thoughts

Others may have other ideas :wink:

Best of luck :cheers:

That would suggest that the part of the thread in the housing is knackered

Try placing a flat bladed screw driver underneath the washer and applying a small amount of pressure while turning with the spanner or posi screwdriver to help bring the bolt out.

Once out you may be lookin g at recutting the thread in the housing and putting a slightly larger bolt in or having it helicoiled

Might be easier to take it to a shop?

Just my thoughts

Others may have other ideas :wink:

Best of luck :cheers:

:cheers:

Well i've taken the bike down to a small local garage, looks like there was meant to be a valve of some kind there and it's broken off so the prevoius owner just whacked a bolt and screw where it should be. Hopefully should all be sorted soon!