bad bike

karlfroggaty

hello ladies and gents, i am a new member and a new bike rider {although i did ride illegaly in my youth} and i have a problem i hope one of you can help me with, i have recently purchaced a Honda CG 125cc, till i pass my test, i am due to do my cbt test on thurs, therefore i have not rode my bike yet, i have been starting it every morn and nite, but on saturday it failed to start, my air fillter was soaked in fuel, its a new sparky in it, i phoned the dealer i bought it from, who told me to hit the carb with a screwdriver, as the float is jambing, it did work, but it will only tick over with the choke on, as i need the bike for next monday, and i dont want to break down in speke, could anyone tell me what could be wrong and how i could fix it please, any help will be much apreciated.

thanks for replying eastang, its more of a bike repair shop, who said he was selling it for a friend, i am going to attempt to get him to see to it, but i can put my hand to most things and thought i could have a go myself as i have a feeling am not going to get very far with the dealer, its a kind of a you bought it, you deal with it, i will say hi to all mate, and i intend to stay around, thanks again :cheers:

mmmm, I would still strip the float bowl of the carb and see if it is full of crap and maybe water, if it is, clean it all out including the tank and the carb jets, it sounds to me like a blocked jet but you will need to replace the needle valve and it is sticking and that will not get any better

Keith

Does it still only tick over with the choke on when it's warm?

Have you tried blowing out the carb line with an air hose..

Check the fuel tap, I had an issue when it was stuck on all the time resulting in 20 quids worth of fuel sitting in the sump.

My old dad used to say, if it's not running right, thrash it till it does.

sticking float would leek from the the bowel over flow, unless its really pissing out in to filter

you have rights from any dealer, if he refuses to take a look ,, advise him you intend to speak to traiding standars,, normally works,, second hand or not he should check his bikes before they go out to sale

if its been sat around along time with stale fuel in its possible the float needle is gum up

nothing a good clean will sort out,,

as for monday ,, note its iligal to ride to a cbt if this is your 1st,,,

if you are local to me im happy to have a look,, im a motorcycle breakdown ,,service and repair dealer