Oil Overfil?

Boro Jake

When I serviced my bike I topped the oil up and started the engine for a few minutes and then the oil level was sat perfect. I noticed once the bikes been running for half an hour the window completely fills, I've ran the bike for a few weeks with no problems.

Shud I drain some oil or just leave it?

Seems to take an overnight rest before the oil actually settles to the correct level.

The window looks full due to thoil splashing around when the engine is running.

If it settles back to the 'Max' mark after it has been stopped for a while, then all is good :thumb:

Check your manual, all bikes I know of require the oil level to be checked with the engine off, on a level surface and after it has stood for a few minutes to let the oil settle.

If you've drained the oil out so it 'looks' right with the engine hot and running, you probably don't have enough oil in and are damaging the engine!

Correct amount of oil, no noise. Drain some out, whine and click. Don't top it back up properly and soon, no noise at all and a big bill.

A motorcycle engine is a highly developed and evolved piece of precision engineering. The amount of the oil in the sump is calculated to keep the engine running in peak condition between service intervals. Put the correct amount of oil in and stop messing about. :spank: 8-)

:stupid:

The oil level should be checked when the engine is cold and not been running at all. Bike should be level, preferably steady on the centre stand (if it has one).

It can take quite a while to settle down after a run so it is best to check it BEFORE going anywhere - also, if you get back and find the oil level is low - you may have already damaged the engine.

Hot oil expands and the level will be higher than when the oil is cool.

Someone once told me that (unlike with a car) if the oil light comes on, the damage is already done!

My bike has an oil level light not a pressure warning light. So if the light comes on , it needs a top up.

The manual for mine also states to run the engine, turn it off and wait for 2 mins, then check oil level in sight glass. If it hasn't run for a bit, the glass shows it to be too full.

Check manufacturers instructions.

They're all different, some even have a dipstick. 8-)