Melted fuse holder

Namso

Lights on my bike were not working so went to check the fuses. I have a cbr125r 2004 model and it was easy enought to get to the fuses (under the rider seat), there is 1 main fuse which should be 30A and a black of 3 smaller fuses behind that which are all 10A, one of the fuses had melted and the housing for the fuse is plastic so I cant remove/replace the fuse, I think I'll have to replace that whole plastic block section but cant find the part online, can anyone help with that?

Also the main fuse should be 30A but after checking, there was a 10A fuse in there! I left it in there because I started thinking there might be some sort of electrical issue with the bike hence why the previous owner only put a 10A fuse in because he knew a 30A would show up some issue with the bike, am I right in thinking this or should I replace it with the proper 30A fuse? (I've had the bike for 4 months with no electrical issue at all)

Plus I adjusted my chain for the first time today which felt good... until I realised the back wheel was now misaligned :( but after some more very difficult spanner work in the confinds of my corridor I managed to realign it :D (A misaligned wheel would wobble about right? I had the bike on a paddock stand and put it in gear and the wheel looked fine at slow and medium speeds)

Firstly a mis-alligned wheel doesnt wobble I dont think, it makes you track to the side of the road when you let go of the bars and ive been on a bike where it was almost as far out as it could get :lol:

Sounds like you didnt tighten it back up properly. You need to really tighten it, its very hard to overtighten it so put some welly into it.

Also the top of the fuse box should have a layout of whats inside. If its different set it to the way it should be and see what happens. If a fuse that was too small has melted chance is it was small enough that even when blown there was an arch that destroyed the whole thing :shock:

Seen that happen only once :lol:

A fuse is a safety device. It breaks the cicuit if the current being drawn exceeds the stated level on the fuse.

Replacing a 30 amp fuse with a 10 amp will not damage anything or hide anything.

The 10A may not be able to handle the current drawn on a 30A circuit and blow (open) even if there is no fault. The other way round can cause problems as 30A is able to be drawn through a cicuit , designed for only 10A. Wires may melt.

This can happen if a short circuit happens. A short circuit is when the electricity finds an unauthorised short cut back to the battery. Perhaps a wire rubs against the frame under vibration and wears through the insulation, allowing the inner core to touch the frame.

What has probably happened to your fuse box is corrosion at the terminals or the fuse holder. This gives a poor connection increasing the resistance and generating heat.

Think of electricity as water and Voltage is pressure, Ampage is the amount of water flowing and Resistance is the bore of the pipe.

Direct current DC one way round. + is always + and - is always -. One is connected to the frame or body and is called earth

Alternating current AC osscillating (vibrating) + becomes - and back again. The wire called earth in this system is a safety route designed to short the system and blow the fuse if it becomes live.

It's an easy fix for a time seved bike tech if it's all a bit much for you. 8-)

Thanks guys, I took the bike to a garage and the guy was helpful and choped out the melted fuse holder and replaced it with a heavy duty one and put the right fuses in, the bike rode fine on the way there and back so my chain adjustment was a sucess with no misaligned back wheel :D

feels good to do some work on the bike but wont be going back to a garage any time soon because of costs (£40 labour £10 parts :( )

• 3 months later...

Get yourself a workshop manual mate and have a good read up. Bike maintenance is not a guessing game. You need to be so careful that things are done right from a safty point of view and well as looking after your investment.

Get yourself a workshop manual mate and have a good read up. Bike maintenance is not a guessing game. You need to be so careful that things are done right from a safty point of view and well as looking after your investment.

Thanks for the advice, I got myself a manual and ive been building up confidence doing things to the bike when needed (chain adjustment, oil change, etc)

When I originally posted this I had only just entered the world of biking