'Intensive training' VS 'Two hours training'

Guest mrk123

Booked with company X for D.A.S.

This included everything except theory which cost me £31.

This D.A.S was totaled at about £420 (excluding theory). This didn't seem to bad and said company had credentials. So far no problems, the guys seem really experienced and very chilled out which is good, no b/s and no icing on the cake.

I asked one of the instructors this morning during MOD1 training what I could expect if I had gone to a more expensive option (£600 to £750 - intensive training).

He said that they offer you a guaranteed pass i.e they keep putting you through until you pass (varies with different companies)

Obviously this makes sense if you don't pass first time, but if you do pass, then that money wasted if you only need 2 hours.

I had 2 hours training for mod 1 today, good weather, warm and clear, was enjoyable to be progressing and I think I did well and feel confident and ready. Where as the 'intensive training' schools have you in from 9am till 2pm and that's why you are paying the hefty amounts..

And I would imagine same goes for MOD 2, however I would imagine this to be a little more work to master and pass first go.

So is it just about 'buying' the correct amount of training you need per-se?

I was asking myself if I had made the right move, as I didn't want to be 'rushed' through training only to have to go back and do it all again and pay more.. But I am feeling confident.

A friend told me, your tests are like taking part in a stage play. You have your lines and the test guy has his, and the stage is your road,learn your lines and learn the road and put on a good performance. Job done.'

I don't think it could be any more well said than that. 8-)

If that £420 includes both Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests then you will have done well IMHO. I spent just under £700 to get mine but that did include the theory, CBT, Mod 1 and Mod 2. I would have said £600 - £750 and a guaranteed pass wouldn't be a bad deal either.

So is it just about 'buying' the correct amount of training you need per-se?

Depends if you're only interested in passing the test, or in accessing training designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge to stay alive a little longer on the roads.

Would it not be fair to say that a lot of your training comes when you actually get out on the road.

I don't have an issue listening and learning, but I am a real hands on person.

Would it not be fair to say that a lot of your training comes when you actually get out on the road.

I don't have an issue listening and learning, but I am a real hands on person.

Experience is not the same as training. Learning by your mistakes can be a painful way to learn so I would still advocate professional training.

Looking back at my DAS, I am fairly confident I could have passed my module 2 test without any training.

I'm also fairly confident that my chances of having a serious accident would be a lot higher too.

If you get a good instructor (I had one fantastic, one rubbish), what you learn is invaluable. Even if you learn one thing that could save your life you wouldn't have learned otherwise, then whatever price you pay is surely worth it...

What exactly is included for your £420 ?

As much training as you need up to and inluding 1 shot at each test ? What happens if you fluff mod1 ?

When i did my test last year,i did the theory and CBT seperately to give me a feel for biking and was advised by the guy that took me on the CBT that a 3 day DAS course would be the most appropriate for me as i'd been on a bike before(many years ago). My DAS was basically two full days of training out on the bike practising the local test routes and manouveres for mod 1 in a disused car park whilst getting tips on riding techniques over the radio while we were riding. My 3rd day was basically a quick practise for the mod 1 and then mod 1 late morning followed by mod 2 in the afternoon but did also include extra training but not test fees should i have messed up.

Fortunately i didn't and passed both the same day. My 3 day course with the two test fees included was £500 and suited me as i took a few days off of work to get it done.

I guess what you choose just needs to fit what time you have available and is going to give you the most benefit.