Parking on single yellow lines

XmisterIS

I thought the law was clear on this, but Google produces confusing and conflicting information!

My understanding is that you MAY park on a single yellow line Mon-Sat 6pm-8am and Sun at any time, unless signage states otherwise (e.g. permit holders only, restriction applies 7 days a week, etc).

Conversely, you MAY NOT park on a single yellow line Mon-Sat 8am-6pm, unless signage states otherwise.

Is that correct?

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/ ... arking-238

1. Waiting and parking (238)

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238

1. Waiting and parking (238)

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone) – see ‘Traffic signs’ and ‘Road markings’. Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs. You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

I found that, but it doesn't say anything about single yellows where there are no time plates. That's what I'm trying to work out - what the "default" rule is where there are no time plates.

I dont think there is a default rule, as far as im aware there needs to be a sign at the start of the street with the yellow lines and thats it. So if its a long street there might not be a sign near you.

http://www.appealnow.com/parking-ticket ... nes-signs/

There is this also :)

So there should be a sign somewhere somewhere if it isn't a CPZ, if there isn't then just be cautious.

"If a single line has a waiting restriction (the use of the expression "no parking" does not exist in the legislation - in general no parking means no waiting) and is not in a Controlled Parking Zone a sign like sign 639 above must, according to the Department for Transports Traffic Signs Manual, be placed every sixty meters along its length."