Honda H100A - Ignition Coil Help

Hey again everyone.

My new ignition coil arrived.  It was sold as one that should fit the bikes frame, however is slightly too large to fit the original mounting points.

Do the large rectangular parts (please educate me on their actual name) both have to touch the frame for the coil to function correctly?

Also have I got the wiring set up properly?  Black/yellow comes from flywheel/CDI, green is ground and would be bolted to the frame at the same point that the large rectangular bit does.  The original ignition coil only had one wiring attachment point so wondering if I’ve been sold an incorrect coil overall.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m still getting no spark so assume I’m doing something wrong (again).  I’ve looked at the Haynes manual and unless I’m missing something it’s not helping me out.

IMG_3287.jpeg

IMG_3288.jpeg

IMG_3289.jpeg

@Tinkicker Thought as much, I managed to get a spark by attaching the earth to the neutral on the ignition coil, and then create a new earth to the frame.  It’s basically unusable though due to the size however as it doesn’t fit in the mounting points.  Shame.  Ordered another that should fit.

Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

From what I have been able to gather, the ignition coil should look like this on the vast majority of H100 UK models.  Since you did not mention a model year, I cannot pin it down further, but this un fitted basically from 83 to 88.

coilcomp-ign_big30510GG2710-02_c9cc.jpg

I just found a 1980 H100 in the shed next door. The old girl asked me if I would get a bike out of the shed, I thought push bike. She used to ride it everywhere and the engine was rebuilt then put in the shed due to her health. 

I'm looking forward to doing it, parts are dirt cheap from what I seen.

@Funkin I’ve now managed to get mine from a non runner to a runner that revs itself in to oblivion, but I’ve made progress as a complete beginner.  Got some carb repairs/adjustments to do to prevent said revving and I can probably get a chain on it and rolling within the next week or so!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eugeroic said:

@Funkin I’ve now managed to get mine from a non runner to a runner that revs itself in to oblivion, but I’ve made progress as a complete beginner.  Got some carb repairs/adjustments to do to prevent said revving and I can probably get a chain on it and rolling within the next week or so!

Well done, that's got to be so satisfying. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2024 at 20:28, eugeroic said:

Good stuff, just in time for the nice weather.

Did you have any issues with the 2 stroke oil pump?  Are they reliable do you know? 

• 3 weeks later...