Running out of fuel...

Guest edwardatherton

Would it cause a problem if I ran my bike until it stopped, then filled it up from a can...

I just want to know how many miles I can do on a complete tank before it runs dry!

If it matters, it is an ER6F, so it is fuel-inkected and has an exhaust oxygen sensor.

As with all vehicles, if you run it dry you run the risk of pulling any sediment (if there is any) into the fuel lines. I see you have a modern bike so I imagine it probably doesn't have much in the way of detritus in the bottom.

If it was me... find out the tank capacity.. ie 17litres ish, fill her up, run till the reserve light comes on, note miles. fill her up again. Note amount of fuel in. work out your mpg. note difference between tank capacity and how much you put in... you should then be able to work out roughly how many miles you can do once the reserve comes on...

As with all vehicles, if you run it dry you run the risk of pulling any sediment (if there is any) into the fuel lines. I see you have a modern bike so I imagine it probably doesn't have much in the way of detritus in the bottom.

If it was me... find out the tank capacity.. ie 17litres ish, fill her up, run till the reserve light comes on, note miles. fill her up again. Note amount of fuel in. work out your mpg. note difference between tank capacity and how much you put in... you should then be able to work out roughly how many miles you can do once the reserve comes on...

I use the same method to guestimate mpg, but, manufacturers lie!

I recently put 37litres of fuel in a car with a 35litre tank.

Apart from the accuracy of the stated tank capacity, I don't know how far down the fuel pickup goes - is it situated at the very lowest point, or not? I would think not so that any sediment is left at the bottom.

I really just need to know whether I am likely to have to bleed the fuel system to get it started again after running it until it stops...

I've run mine til it stopped once.

Had the tank on reserve the whole time.. when it coughed i went to switch it.. 5ft later.. out of fuel

I got a fuel can delivered to me and chucked it in..

.. off i went with no ill effect.. wouldnt want to keep doing it though just in-case i was lucky that one time.

On that note I did it on my old CG more than once and it was always fine.

Sure the pump wasnt just ripping you off. I've heard that they are off by a small amount but never in the customers favor...

I've ran my bike dry a good couple of times. The RS did 150 miles on its main 2 gallon tank. 75 isnt bad for a 125 but that was keeping the revs low. If you thrash it it will drop to about 55.

I wish bikes were as fuel efficient as the honda cg,

100mpg at low revs

99mpg when you thrash it.

Would it cause a problem if I ran my bike until it stopped, then filled it up from a can...

I just want to know how many miles I can do on a complete tank before it runs dry!

If it matters, it is an ER6F, so it is fuel-inkected and has an exhaust oxygen sensor.

it can cause some problems like air getting trapped!

About the air problem. Powerful bikes will probably have one hell of a problem with this. When running pretty low on fuel I went up a series of hills and not once did it go flat. After 5 minutes the revs just came to a stop and the bike made a weird clonking noise.

I couldnt start the bike. There was a spark but it would not start. Then I open my fuel tank to inspect and fuel just falls from the top of the tank and splashes down everywhere inside the tank.

Turned out a vacuum had formed in the tank sucking all the fuel from my reserve up and to the side of the tank as it tried desperately to suck it in. A big bike would probably suffer worse from this if it happened. I was surprised the petrol holder didnt disfigure.

Sure the pump wasnt just ripping you off. I've heard that they are off by a small amount but never in the customers favor...

I've ran my bike dry a good couple of times. The RS did 150 miles on its main 2 gallon tank. 75 isnt bad for a 125 but that was keeping the revs low. If you thrash it it will drop to about 55.

I wish bikes were as fuel efficient as the honda cg,

100mpg at low revs

99mpg when you thrash it.

Yeah I'm sure the pump was fine - I work for the company, and have access to the engineers reports, trading standards, and weights and measures, who all routinely test the accuracy of the dispensers. After any significant work is carried out on a pump, it cannot be put to use without trading standards verifying the accuracy.

So anyway the pumps are correct, it's the specified tank capacity which is not.