Adjusting carb settings

Guest Seanybabe1986

I got an aprilia rs125, prob is it keeps cuttin out wen I'm approachin standstill and wen it's just idleing, I got told all it is that it's idleing too low, any idea how to change the idle speed, I'm sure it's easy but I'm a bit of a retard at mechanics lol, cheers fellas

Also I should add sometimes it won't restart for a few minutes and sometimes it won't start wen I go out to start it from standing for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it randomly starts on the button

I got an aprilia rs125, prob is it keeps cuttin out wen I'm approachin standstill and wen it's just idleing, I got told all it is that it's idleing too low, any idea how to change the idle speed, I'm sure it's easy but I'm a bit of a retard at mechanics lol, cheers fellas

Also I should add sometimes it won't restart for a few minutes and sometimes it won't start wen I go out to start it from standing for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it randomly starts on the button

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/Bogof-pics/Aprilia/rs125idle.gif

2.15.2. IDLING ADJUSTMENT

Adjust as follows whenever idling speed seems erratic.

• Ride a few kilometres until warming engine up to

regular operating temperature.

• Place the gearbox in neutral.

• Look at engine idle speed (rpm) on the rev counter.

Engine idling speed should be about 1250 ± 100 rpm.

If needed:

• Place the motorcycle on the stand.

• Rotate the knob (1).

ROTATE CLOCKWISE to increase idling speed.

ROTATE ANTI-CLOCKWISE to decrease idling speed.

• Flip the throttle twistgrip open and closed repeatedly to

check for proper operation. Idling speed should remain

stable.

Try that first, then see if it improves starting when warm.

Cheers mate will deffo try that wen I get home, does it just twist by hand, does this sound like wat it could be then it jus seems to idle low and cut out if I change down wen comin to a stop or if I don't rev it at a standstill it cuts out,

cheers

Cheers mate will deffo try that wen I get home, does it just twist by hand, does this sound like wat it could be then it jus seems to idle low and cut out if I change down wen comin to a stop or if I don't rev it at a standstill it cuts out,

cheers

Yes move it by hand, its quite a large black knob so easy to turn.

It does seem likely that your problem could be just low idle speed. Worth trying before you get carried away thinking its something more serious.

cheers

Yes move it by hand, its quite a large black knob so easy to turn.

It does seem likely that your problem could be just low idle speed. Worth trying before you get carried away thinking its something more serious.

Cool cheers mate, last question wat do I have to take off to get to it, fairings or tank etc cheers for ur help dude

Cool cheers mate, last question wat do I have to take off to get to it, fairings or tank etc cheers for ur help dude

Pretty sure you should see it and be able to reach it without taking anything off. If I remember correctly it has a slot in the end so you can if you wish reach in with a screwdriver, or just about turn it with your fingers.

Pretty sure you should see it and be able to reach it without taking anything off. If I remember correctly it has a slot in the end so you can if you wish reach in with a screwdriver, or just about turn it with your fingers.

Just checked out the adjustment knob, it was already turned all the way right which means it's at max idle. So I turned it anti clockwise but to be honest the revs didn't change to much, I turned it back jus cos I thought maybe that wud help, there's a flat head screw nex to the knob is that any relavance? chhers

theres no way that it can be turned all the way in and not be revving like mad

sounds like theres something wrong with it i would have a closer inspection!!

make sure the black knob is not just turning and not adjusting the idle etc etc

Go here http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp to download a manual for your bike. There's a few things you will need to check... throttle free play, choke action etc. The manual gives detail on how to do these checks.

If the idle adjuster seems to have no effect, there is something wrong with the carb. Hopefully another RS125 owner may be able to suggest what that might be.