what keeps you 100% dry

Guest matthewhopla

hi guys

need some help

im now out of my bike for 6-10 hours a day in all weather and was amazed just how poor my oxford bone dry jacket and trousers were.can i ask just what keep you 100% dry

any comments appreciated

plastic bags... i put plastic bags inside my boots to keep dry, ensure water prrof trousers are on the outside of boots and jackets fit over glove cuffs, otherwise water will run down and into these...

Guest philgale

one of these bad boys keeps me 100% dry :lol:

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/images/mb/Channel4/4homes/on-tv/a-place-in-the-sun/home-or-away/dorset-seville/Show-5-UK-House-2-lg--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg

other than that a 1 piece oversuit does the job

My skin :lol:

Anyway i dont know i need to get some waterproofs.... does anyone know how good the Hein Gerickes waterproofs are?

HG stuff is excellent, waterproof breathable, not badly priced.

I have several sets and none have ever let me down.

I wear Alt-Berg boots. Best kit I have. 100% waterproof, comfy as slippers, good to walk round in (walking boot soles)

Weise Oslo gloves - superb, waterproof, light, warm, loads of feel.

Can't vouch for a jacket, but I bought some new trousers a month or so ago and have been caught in some pretty nasty rain since and the Dianese Tushima Gore-Tex have kept me dry as a dry thing, so have to rate them highly.

Also bought a set of Alpinestar JetRoad GoreTex gloves, which are yet to get a proper soaking, but the splashes they have received so far have been held at bay.

I think anything Gore-Tex will definitely keep you dry... I wear Dainese Gore-Tex boots and they are 100% proof even standing in pools of water.

Someone asked about Hein Gericke stuff - I presume as above, anything Gore-tex will be fine but, HG's own "Shelltex" is a bit poor... It'll last about 10 minutes in the heavy stuff before giving up and soaking your clothes/wallet/mobile phone, or whatever else is in it.

I tend to carry (and wear mostly at this time of year) a thin Gore-Tex overjacket and trousers that keeps everything snug and cosy inside and can be folded and stowed in seconds when (if?) things brighten up.

:D

The problem is with Gore-Tex is that most people believe it's the material thats water proof so if you buy a garment thats it but thats not the case. Gore-Tex is the chemical covering applied, even with Gore-Tex products you still need to re-apply the chemical periodically although it is pretty durable.

The problem is with Gore-Tex is that most people believe it's the material thats water proof so if you buy a garment thats it but thats not the case. Gore-Tex is the chemical covering applied, even with Gore-Tex products you still need to re-apply the chemical periodically although it is pretty durable.

I don't think that's right.... It's the physical properties of the membrane that prevent water penetration - I think waterproofing chemicals are for non-Gore fabrics.

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/remote/Satell ... ionWrapper

Perhaps I have over simplified things but the truth is as detailed in your link, Gore-Tex is the membrane and dispite what "Gore-Tex" let people believe you have to periodically treat/reseal Gore-Tex, this is from your link under product care:

GORE-TEX® OUTERWEAR

WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT

Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer.

Also from the link

Garment feels like it's leaking.If you're feeling moisture beneath your GORE-TEX® garment, it could be a leak. This can happen when your garment's durable water repellent or DWR treatment needs restoring. This naturally occurs as your garment ages and the DWR treatment on the outermost fabric layer is exposed to normal wear and tear.

Without its protective DWR treatment, your garment's outer fabric layer can experience "wet out", especially across the shoulder and upper back area. While the inner GORE-TEX® membrane isn't leaking, the outer fabric can become heavy, leaving you feeling damp and cold. See Restoring Water Repellencyfor instructions on how to restore the DWR treatment of your garment's outer fabric.

The truth is whilst Gore Tex is good it's not as good as they make you believe. For a quarter of the price you can buy a decent outer shell to wear over your biking gear and as long as you treat it every so often you'll be fine.

My skin :lol:

Anyway i dont know i need to get some waterproofs.... does anyone know how good the Hein Gerickes waterproofs are?

HG stuff is excellent, waterproof breathable, not badly priced.

I have several sets and none have ever let me down.

Nice one thanks :)

HG's own "Shelltex" is a bit poor... It'll last about 10 minutes in the heavy stuff before giving up and soaking your clothes/wallet/mobile phone, or whatever else is in it.

Can't agree with you there Scotty, I have had a Sheltex HG jacket (Daylite) for 6 years, used for work in all conditions through all seasons and have never reproofed it. It has never leaked/let water in.

HG's own "Shelltex" is a bit poor... It'll last about 10 minutes in the heavy stuff before giving up and soaking your clothes/wallet/mobile phone, or whatever else is in it.

Can't agree with you there Scotty, I have had a Sheltex HG jacket (Daylite) for 6 years, used for work in all conditions through all seasons and have never reproofed it. It has never leaked/let water in.

It's always the shoulder seams that leak first... Funny thing is, I've had my HG Shelltex jacket for nearly 4 years, and expect to get damp everytime I don't have a waterproof over jacket with me but, my £45 HG gloves seem to be 100% waterproof!

Maybe HG have quality control issues and this is why we get differing experiences - I've always hated the zips on mine which jam regularly and leave me fighting to get my keys out of the pockets, whereas others have no problems with them. Bizarre. The chances of me buying another one are pretty slim - It doesn't help when the staff at the store have little or no interest in the customers!

I just use my bog standard waterproofs I bought a few years ago for doing the duke of Edinburgh award. Bought them from youghmans (which are a bit of a rip off normally.) I've road for an hour through rain in them, most of it really heavy rain as well and got home took them off and under them I was bone dry.

Edit to add: It your boots aren't waterproof you might want to consider buying some gaiters to go over them.

It's always the shoulder seams that leak first... Funny thing is, I've had my HG Shelltex jacket for nearly 4 years, and expect to get damp everytime I don't have a waterproof over jacket with me but, my £45 HG gloves seem to be 100% waterproof!

Maybe HG have quality control issues and this is why we get differing experiences - I've always hated the zips on mine which jam regularly and leave me fighting to get my keys out of the pockets, whereas others have no problems with them. Bizarre. The chances of me buying another one are pretty slim - It doesn't help when the staff at the store have little or no interest in the customers!

Got to agree with you about the zips - PITA!

I have the Master IV, a black Voyager and another one which is suede and cordura (can't remember name!)

All are waterproof, unless I forget to fasten the storm flap!

We now use Halvarsson at work - jury out at the moment!

Bootwise I cannot recommend Alt-Bergs enough though.I have 2 pairs, when one is being resoled wear other until (2-3 years later) they need resoling! 100% waterproof, comfy and strong!