new rider oil change

Guest stressed_dessert

Hey everyone, posted in newbie forum thread "As an introduction" and got told to ask here for problems with my bike so:

I'm a new rider, took my CBT in May, haven't got any money to do more than that. Got a Yamaha SR125.

Well, as the title says, I need to do an oil change but I'm not sure about the oil I have:

Carlube 2-stroke Motorcycle oil XL Specification API TC, JASO-FB.

I have my haynes but the only info I can find in it on engine oil is that it is SAE 20W40SE which "rennie", a moderator told me was the viscosity of the oil. If any one can give me any advice for finding the right oil, the oil change itself and anything to do with my bike at all, I'd be very grateful.

haynes manual and 4 stroke motorcycle oil.. and an oil filter, basic oil change..

anyone you know how to change oil in a car?? its much the same. or any bikers on here near you that could offer assistance...

:lol: ok the oil you have is no good!

go to halford's or similar and buy some 20W40SE,

it should say suitable for use in motorcycles on the container.

Somewhere in your Haynes it will tell you how much you need!

look in the capacities section, it might say sump then ***ml.

or whatever.

you will also need an oil filter ( look in haynes it will tell you).

Then bike on centre stand, tray underneath, undo sump plug

(big bolt on the bottom of engine) let old oil out.

sump plug back in, change filter (screw old 1 off screw new 1 on),

top up with new oil, make sure level is right(dip stick or glass window).

done! :lol:

Sorry mate, I`m Cambridgeshire based but I`m not mechanical. I let people that have the knowlege do it for me. Good luck and take the advice given. These guys know there stuff.

I'm in cambs too, and I'd like to say I'm a bit mechanical!

Whereabouts are you based? I've done oil change on car numerous times, not on a bike yet - as mentioned above, it'll be much the same.

Untill you get to know what you're doing, buy your oil from a bike spares shop. Some car oils are not suitable for bikes. I'm thinking a 125 will need around one litre for a change. So not a big investment. Talk to the guys in the bike spares shop where you buy the oil.

The oil change is the simple act of letting the oil out of the bottom of the engine, via the drain plug. Refilling with suitable oil and checking the level.

Read the Haynes. Do what it says. Use the oil it says to use. The wrong oil will scrap the engine. 8-)