DA Vs Restricted

Guest benbenben

Hi all. I'm hopefully going to do my test this year but i'm unsure which to do.

Is the only difference between the two the size of the bike you do it on?

I only want to get a 250 to 400cc bike when i pass so i dont need the DA course but if the restricted is no easier or cheaper then i might as well do the DA right?

While i'm here, anyone want to recommend a bike? I'm liking the 250 Ninja and RVF/VFR 400.

Hi all. I'm hopefully going to do my test this year but i'm unsure which to do.

Is the only difference between the two the size of the bike you do it on?

I only want to get a 250 to 400cc bike when i pass so i dont need the DA course but if the restricted is no easier or cheaper then i might as well do the DA right?

While i'm here, anyone want to recommend a bike? I'm liking the 250 Ninja and RVF/VFR 400.

Yeah you just take it on a 500/600 cc bike, but you'll need training on it which is only possibl with an intructer. If your only going 250cc then no need for DA TBH they are generally 33hbp.

Hyosung 250 aswell :)

Arrrrgh, now I carnt stop looking at the Hyosung! I had settled on a Ninja but now i'm not sure...

Looks like i'm going for the restricted test but i'll chat with the bike instructors too see what they say before i book anything.

I was looking at the Ninja250 too. Then after a couple of sessions on the 500cc for the DAS, i realised that it's really nothing to worry about. As long as you got control of that clutch you'll be fine. Bigger, heaver bike was WAY easier to ride than the 125. Then i also noticed that the insurance for the er6 (650cc) was actually the same, or cheaper, than the 250 (for me at least), so i bought an er6f. Just rode it home (at 55mph all the way :s Damned running in....) about 2 hours ago. Definately more powerful than the 500cc, but still nothing to worry about having spent some time on the 500.

If you're worried about the power, being new, then maybe do the DAS and you might be surprised by the confidence you'll gain. If it comes down to cost then that might be different. But I don't think the price difference between the 250 and er6 is enormous.

If you go for the full Direct Access you can do what you want.

How many people get a bigger machine within the first year of riding.

there is nothing to stop you getting ya full licence, buy a bigger machine (sv 650 or the like) get it restricted for 6months or a year then remove them when your confidence is up.

saves you buying another bike further down the line so in the long run will be cheaper than restricted license, buy bike, 2years later full license appears, sell bike then buy new bike!

this way you get 2 bikes for the price of one!

plus having a restricted 600/650 will pull better than a 250 any way!

could get an older bigger machine for less money with carbs then its just a matter of putting dics on the carb inlets. piece of pish!

i bought a gsxr 600 srad for £1200, i didn't know it was restricted till i got it the open road as it pulled well below 9.000 rpm and up to 115mph.

when i pulled out the discs it was a different animal alltogether. instead of 33bhp i got it dyno'd at 98bhp at the wheel.

doing it that way gotta be cheaper in the long run!

You dont really need to restrict a bike like the SV if your scared of the power. Just keep it below 7k RPM and you wont go mad in the power band. Still plenty of low down power..

Restriction would be a waste of money IMO

For a total novice who's nervy about a bigger machine it give them less room for error and my point was its cheaper to do it that way than to buy an new 250. buying an 8yr old sv/bandit/fazer thats alot more bike in every department will cost less!

buying a bike to keep for two years, loose all ur money on that in depresiation. then find another machine and spend the money again.

Aside from that the 70 odd HP the sv puts out still takes the piss out of nearly every car on the road in terms of performance so restricting one if your a tad uneasy isn't as silly as it sounds. i bet you've never kept your bike below 7k when you first got it. some people don't have that sort of control with the wrist to begin with. it's easy to get cought up with the speed on a sunny day. not forgetting you still only get 6 points for 2 years regardless of test you do, it could help keep you on the road and not banned which would suck!!!

all 600's will take the mickey out of a 911 to 60 and beyond. we ride machines that are for the most part supercar fast. no wonder some people are cautious of them.

God its fun!!!!

I'm pretty sure that if you buy a 250 ninja new it's going to have devalued a heck of a lot in a couple of years. I'd say go with the full licence then you can pick and choose what you want. Remember that a lot of bike shops won't let you test ride anything if you're on a restricted licence too so you may end up with a bike not completely suited to you.

If you're worried about the power, don't be. After riding a 125 for 6 months then getting on an ER-5, the power increase didn't feel that much but felt like it had enough torque to get you out of sticky situations.

Have a go on the training centres 500cc bike and see how it feels and make your mind up then.

The reason for doing restricted was to save cash, i was thinking about doing the mod 1 off my own back (it's only like £15) so i would need a bike that i can ride on the CBT which means restricted licence. Once thats done id get a school to train me up for the mod 2. Maybe two days training...

Ive seen schools charging £120 for a mod 1 resit, for that price i can have like 10 goes at the mod 1.

Just ideas while i wait for my theory, roll on the 27th!!