Loose bolts...should these be loose?

asharin

Basically the bolts on the end of the swingarm, I noticed while out on a ride today they seemed a little loose...should they be?

I'm adding some images here so you know which bolts I mean! I'm guessing no so I tightened them, but if I am wrong let me know!

If they are supposed to be tight I have to wonder, have they just worked loose, or did the bike shop not tighten them properly when they removed my wheel to fix the brakes?

Anyway here's the images (yes I know bike needs a clean, but I just got back from riding country roads so meh)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/asmodeanv/Bike/201003111303_277.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/asmodeanv/Bike/201003111303_276.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

those me old mate are your chain adjusters.

no they shouldn't be loose. otherwise the axle can move backwards and forwards on the swingarm putting more stress on the chaindrive. as you accelarate the chain at the top get tight and pulls towards the bike on one side dragging the axle out of alignment so twisting the chain in the sideway axis and the whole wheel won't be lined up straight in the swing arm.

this over time will knacker your chain, sprocket, cush drive and possibly bearings. asidee from that the bike will crab down the road with the back end slightly out to the right while riding in a straight line.

there should be 2 nuts on that bolt at the end that do up together to stop them undoing.

1 does the adjustment and the 2nd tightens up behind the first to lock it.

hope this helps.

By the way is that a TW125?

Thanks :) Wondered why the bike seemed to wobble (maybe not the right word just seemed off, but not like before when the headstock had a tight spot) a bit since I got it back, can you tell I am as mechanically minded as a fish? well not really that bad, just lack experience, at least I know now!

It's a Hyosung RT125D, while it looks more like a TW125 than a VanVan it's closer to a Suzuki dirt bike with VanVan wheels than a TW, very fun bike, and it's almost running perfectly now :P

either your spindle is loose, or it has been badly adjusted.

loosen the spindle and adjust accordingly, then tighten spindle,

By that I assume you mean the actual wheel or rather the spindle in the middle of it?

The bolts on that are on fine, it doesn't shift and alignment even seems okay, I am thinking those bolts just got left as my bike was fixed late in the day so perhaps it was just an 'I'll do that in a min' and then forgotten about.

By that I assume you mean the actual wheel or rather the spindle in the middle of it?

The bolts on that are on fine, it doesn't shift and alignment even seems okay, I am thinking those bolts just got left as my bike was fixed late in the day so perhaps it was just an 'I'll do that in a min' and then forgotten about.

no, i mean the spindle running through it, the wheel should never be tight...

I always adjust the push the wheel forward, then pull back using the adjusters, to the correct chain slack, then tighten the spindle nut,...

also, does it have/ should it have, a split pin to stop the nut (spindle) coming off..

no, i mean the spindle running through it, the wheel should never be tight...

I always adjust the push the wheel forward, then pull back using the adjusters, to the correct chain slack, then tighten the spindle nut,...

also, does it have/ should it have, a split pin to stop the nut (spindle) coming off..

Yes I gathered you meant the spindle hence the 'or rather' No it has no split pin, though the old SR did. As I said wheel alignment seems fine the bolts aren't loose, it was just the chain adjuster bolts that were loose. Think I got lucky spotting that before it got worse.

On the plus side, I now know how to adjust my chain, which was next on my list of things to learn how to do ready for when I needed to.

have a look at the link in my signature. There is a guide for chain tensioning in the pitstop area complete with photos. What i would advise for you is to put a second nut onto each side and tighten it against the nut that is actually drawing the rear wheel out. Then put a dob of paint on the top of them. Then you ll be able to see if they move

have a look at the link in my signature. There is a guide for chain tensioning in the pitstop area complete with photos. What i would advise for you is to put a second nut onto each side and tighten it against the nut that is actually drawing the rear wheel out. Then put a dob of paint on the top of them. Then you ll be able to see if they move

That's a very good bit of advice there (especially the paint mark) , cheers Lee