Drilling

okcoky

I am in the process of trying to change my standard heel plates into some carbon ones, simple you might expect but oh no.One side went fine but the other side alan key screws are stuck tight i have tried

the normal things to remove them but now the alan key just spins and cannotgrip.Is the only way to drill them out now?Also this would damage the thread so how would i get new screws to hold?

can you cut a slot into the head with a hacksaw/dremmel and then use a flathead screwdriver?

Also heat works well on stubborn screws.

Failing that drill the head off, gently drill out the shaft of the bolt and then re-thread with a tap/die set.

depends how fiddly it is..

ideally you need to 'crack' the thread. A centre punch a decent whack with a hammer might do it. Then possibly using a dremel or something, cut a slot. Then attempt to use a screwdriver. If this isn't possible, then borrow or buy a decent stud extractor...

If all that fails... you could drill it out.. but you'd need to re tap the hole with a larger thread, and source a bolt that will fit..

All is not lost yet.

(pretty much what blakey said!)

Ok will try the cut a slot bit and give it a bang before,if not where can you get a tap die set?

DIY stores (although they might be a bit poo), halfrauds or motor factors.

If rideable most garages will have a set if you are friendly with them they might let you borrow one?

before you try drilling, try a torx bit (star shaped)..

or drill the head and break the head off, this will leave the body, a mole grip on the bolt to remove it and no need to tap and die..