Crash Bars / Engine Bars

I have often Bought and fitted them in the past but Are they really worth the money

Before I spend £90 on these Has anyone had experiance of what protection they offer or damage they prevent ?

Or would well places Bobins be a better option on a naked bike ?

1411834727_crashbars.jpg.2b7bc3346e0938a0f2475ba07eddd9ec.jpg

I like bars meself .. and as for worth the money ..

you'd kick yaself if ya dropped it after deciding not to buy them eh?

(and moved into accessory section for ya)

the reason I like them .. you can mount stuff to em, put a chain through em, rest ya feet on em .. etc etc

IMO............................ they are UUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuugggggggglllllyyyyyyyyyyy

but thats just my opinion :D

I like bars meself .. and as for worth the money ..

you'd kick yaself if ya dropped it after deciding not to buy them eh?

(and moved into accessory section for ya)

didn't even know there was a accesory section ..Doh more reading to do :cheers:

Edited following techno's point :twisted:

I had them on my Fazer when I bought it although they were the half sized ones that protect the lower half of the engine. When my bike was written off in a SMIDY they did protect the engine (they bent in slightly) but the crankshaft cover was slightly scratched (this is where full sized ones would have helped). Aesthetically I think they blended in well, but they were black with a black engine.

So I think they're worth it :lol:

Edited by Anonymous

Would you put bars on your blade Dan?

Might look a bit daft on the blade, but I did put them on the Tiger, and mounted foglights to them, and put me feet on them when me knees ached :D

Bobbins on the 'Blade ..

But this wasn't about a blade (or other faired machine) now was it ;)

£90 sounds quite steep imo - sure i saw crash bars for £50 new on David Silver not long ago.

However, that said, i've used mine (they came fitted onto the bike already), a few times :oops: . They've been worn by the road (shiny silver is now showing rust where sliding along the road has eaten it away), but my engine is still intact.

Apparently they increase the risk of damage to the frame, but reduce the (higher risk imo) of damage to the engine. I think overall protection-wise they're a good idea, unless you happen to have a spare engine and lots of time, as i'd wager that it takes far harder a smack to damage the frame (that kind of accident would probably write the bike off severely anyway) than to damage the engine block, pee oil everywhere, and hence knacker the engine (which doesn't actually take huge speeds).

They also reduce risk of damage to the lower leg / ankles, but i believe the Hurt report suggested that this is balanced by an increased risk of upper leg / hip damage. Having given myself a minor ankle sprain at as little as 10-20mph though (with these bars), i'd prefer to leave them on than risk the potential ankle damage without them! (as to my mind keeping the full weight of the bike off my leg must be worth something).

I feel that bobbins are more likely to snap what they're attached to (as they won't spread the force to 2 points like bars will) but could be otherwise better (with the caveat that if they mount to a crucial part of the bike and snap off under the forces of sliding, you need to work out whether it'll write the bike off or not). On the downside, i imagine (having not used bobbins before) that it won't lift the bike up so high thereby providing less physical protection to you.

So all in all, i guess i'm not sure :lol:

I'd try to have one or the other though, until i stop having and can better afford to pay for, accidents.

naked bikes = bars

faired bikes = bungs

try egay must be some for an XJ600 on there..

I have bars on my GSX, in black so they blend in..

some like full bars as they give more protection, but for some the rear mount is obstructive to the leg, my boots rub on mine, and i'm not big...

hence some going for half bars..

ebay = £97, wemoto = £92 both inc post

bars.thumb.jpg.49cf15f5c819d5907217ee1dbb234278.jpg

Thanks, interesting info

I just feel 90 steep for a couple of bars of steel

I think Maby a few carefully placed bungs May Stop certain damage ,,,scrapes ect cos if they stick out further than the bit that will contact the ground they must take some of the slide but impact then Bars are going to work where crash bungs wont ,.......

I think I may wait and see if some come up 2nd hand From a bike being sold for parts and use bungs for now as there are a Few bolt holes availible around the engine where they may offer some protection in the mean time.

:cheers:

Akeys Down but not Out..

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... crash+bars

some threads in regard to crash protection, including Akeys..

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/sear ... mit=Search

engine bars will in low speed offs protect the bike to an extent, mainly the engine and casings as if you hole them its a walk home, as youll have oil on the road and road in the oil...

Photo0089a.thumb.jpg.b23fd5d391eea9558e117542d6560520.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
!!

Can you guys recommend anything for a 2010 ER-6N? The officials cost a fortune (170~)

And the officials are cack!!

I had R&G bobbins on my 2009 ER6n, never tested them other than dropping the bike on it's side whilst manoeuvring it round the garden. Seemed alright though and saved damaging those expensive looking side panels.

!!

Can you guys recommend anything for a 2010 ER-6N? The officials cost a fortune (170~)

how about £117 inc vat and P&P...

motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=407573

ebay is £120 plus post.....

MandP £90 plus post

mandp.co.uk/productinfo/581108/Tubular/Engine-Bars/Renntec/Black