to much oil???

wilko20

I rode my cbr 125 from plymouth to portsmouth then home to kent for two weeks off work. When home I checked the oil to find it was low so I bought a bottle of the right stuff and topped it up. How ever I think I may have over done it as two weeks latter it has started slipping down a gear when shifting up I have cheecked the dip stick to find it is above the max line. So guessing this is the cause of my proble. I understand that to much oil can put undue strain on the gaskets and seals as it incresses the presure inside the engine soWhat is the best way to drain some of the oil out should I just us the plug (which I can't locate at the momen???) Or sould I just use a syringe and some rubber tubing to draw some. out through the dip stick hole? Thanks in advance for any advice

The dip stick is about 3cm long and the maximum mark is about half a cm from the top and it is about half way between the mark and the top of the stick. No I don't screw it in just take out wipe and then puch in as far as will go with out enganging the tread. The bike is up right as well when I take the mesurement. I'm pretty sure there is to much in there I'm just wondering what the best way to remove some??

ahh finally something im a expert on lol.

have you checked the oil level after the engine has ran for a few minutes first and made sure when you check the level that the bike is upright and not on the side stand ?

i had a bit too much in my cbr 125 so used a syringe to remove some of the oil from where the dipstick would normally go

Yer I'm make sue it is up right. I have been checking it when it is cold so will try it after running for a few mins and see if that has any change if not I will pop out to get a syringe after work tomorrow.

how far over the full line is it and are you checking it by just resting the dipstick on the top of the casing or screwing it in?

are we ment to screw it back in when checking the oil level?

you have to unscrew the dipstick then wipe it clean then place it back on (do not screw it back on) check it again and thats how much oil you have :D

you should always check it when warm too. If its reading max when cold you need to get some of that oil out pretty sharpish. I've done this before and took the drain plug out when oil was cold. It didnt run out so quickly + I could quickly put the plug back in after some came out. Its better to have too little oil than too much.

• 3 weeks later...

are we ment to screw it back in when checking the oil level?

Depends on the bike. Read what the manufacturer says in the Owners Handbook (online maybe) for a definitive answer for your particular bike.

you have to unscrew the dipstick then wipe it clean then place it back on (do not screw it back on) check it again and thats how much oil you have :D

:stupid:

I have the Haynes manuals for one of these bikes in my book collection. He speaks the truth!

And did you use the right oil? Also I remember my cbr having gear changing issues!