GS500E, rusty headstock...how do i treat it?

stamina9011

Rub it down and sand it..

But paint it with what, what worls best?

Im a novice, do i need to remove the frame? I can see the rust, it will be awkward to get to but..i can i think.

It was an MOT advisory, thanks guys.

Im a novice, do i need to remove the frame? I can see the rust, it will be awkward to get to but..i can i think.

Just did mine today if you want to do it properly take it apart, as what ever you can see it is most likely worse than it looks

Can we see some pix please mate. Treat rust with WD40 to loosen it, wire wool to remove rust particles, degrease with brake cleaner and Hammerite paint on top . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't wish to be alarmist, but a little surface rust wouldn't be an issue for an MOT tester. Deeper rot that affects the integrity of a major safety component, like the headstock, would. It's an advisory now, but next year could be a fail. Rubbing it down may not be enough to remedy it.

Just saying... :|

WD40 then degrease it??? Making yourself an extra job there

Hammerite and smoothrite react chemicaly with the rust. It also forms its own surface so giving a good finish. A good wire brushing will suffice. A wire mop on a power drill will take the arm ache out of it. Get it into a state so that you can see how far the rot has gone. If need be get a second opinion before you paint it. 8-)