false neutral..

davefly76

what causes the bike to go in to a false neutral? its happened to me a few times, normally when accelerating hard doing a big overtake and changing gear quickly.

is it caused by me releasing the clutch too early, before the next gear has engaged or is it something i should be concerned with?

it's not a good look when you blast past someone, change gear and then bounce off the rev limiter :oops:

I think you've answered you own question there. Mine is getting a little old and has neutrals between every gear. Just need to be a little firmer with the up shift. There's a sweet spot for gear changes and it's not at the top of the rev range. I don't think it's your clutch action as you can shift without the clutch. Perhaps back off the throttle a little more as you change. It takes the strain out of the drive train and allows things to mesh. 8-)

Sometimes poor chain tension can cause bad shifts. As CtB says there are sweet spots where the gear shift is smoothest. My bike really doesn't like it if I try to shift up too early and I've really got to lift that gear lever to get it into the next gear. How about your oil...is it fairly fresh or are you due a change?

Also...how old is the bike? Maybe still needs some loosening up if it's got less than 10000 on the clock?

Bob

thanks for the replies, puts my mind at rest :3some:

as for the bike, its a '99 and done about 25k, chain tension done a week ago and oil changed in October last year :)

guess i'll just have to be more positive with the up shift!