Fitting CG125 centre stand

Ingah

With regards to my 2002 CG125 - Centre stand spring / return mechanism (picture here: http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda ... ck_03=1983 ).

The springs (numbers 2 and 3) are one inside the other (as in the diagrams), but i'm struggling to work out exactly how to get the springs around the mounting points. There's a little sticky-out-lug on the frame above the rear brake pivot point, this is clearly the frame-side mounting point - and whilst i can get the C-shaped object (look at part 4 in diagram) around this lug, and then the springs through the 2nd hole in the C-shaped object and even to the "hook" in the centre stand, the springs then proceed to fall off when i pull the stand up. This is because they need attaching a certain way (i.e. properly). One certainly goes in the other, as in my picture, but i can't seem to stretch them both far enough despite putting all my grunt in.

So, do i need a spring puller to make the job easier?

Or there is an easy/proper way to do this? (it's not in the haynes manual amazingly!)

Have looked around the net but apart from people suggesting potentially dangerous stuff, like holding the gaps in the outer spring open with pennies :shock: no one has been able to suggest anything very useful.

No need for a spring puller, a looped bit of fence wire, or a screwdriver works perfectly. As for the spring locations, i'm sorry but I can't really help there. Have you tried putting the springs onto the mount locations on the stand before mounting the stand to the bike? I did that on my centre stand. :wink:

I have the Haynes manual for the Honda CG (dont ask why) I will read out the only section I have found relevant to the stand...

1. The centre stand shares a common pivot pin with the rear brake pedal, the right hand end of the pin being fitted with a split pin. A strong return spring, attached to a small lug on the right hand side of the stand, retracts and holds the stand in position when not in use.

Does that help in anyway at all? It most likely doesnt but hey... If haynes cant get it right god help us all!

So, do i need a spring puller to make the job easier?

Or there is an easy/proper way to do this? (it's not in the haynes manual amazingly!)

Cable tie through top of spring, screwdriver through cable tie, end of screwdriver resting on bit of frame, lever away...