Scottish Tour help

TC

We doing a tour of Scotland next March. :shock:

Up to Oban-Ullapool around the coast to JOGs and back to Fort William down the A9/A82. :lol:

Any Must visit places roads cafes etc recommended B&Bs.

and as this my first Bigish trip any extra gear you would take, i wont list what i'm taking so i can see how badley or decent my preperation is. :oops:

I'll ask my granddad for ya. He's toured Scotland on motor and push bikes more times than you can shake a stick at. Think he knows everyone! Sure he'll have some good reccommendations.

A camera is a must as the scenery is stunning.

Waterproofs and warm gloves - I went in August and it peed down every day. Enough cash just in case - John O' Groats is a hole, there are B&B's nearby which are well worth the price for a good night's sleep and a big breakfast to start the next leg.

Midge repellent, and mesh head covers - the wee feckers are everywhere!!!!

I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff as well.

take plenty of insect repellant the midges are a nightmare :evil:

if your camping i recommend the Red Squirrel http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/ar ... uirrel.htm

you can have open fires and the sceanery aroung Glencoe is awesome

heres a pic of some lads we met on the last day maybe there on here as they were from the east coast

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/3xlfive/Scotland%202006/DSCF0633.jpg

try and get over onto Skye and use a B roads more than the main drags wwhere the tourists are more interested in the views than checking there mirrors :wink:

I do Scotland every year on the bike , you cant really go wrong

all the roads are stunning and mostly smooth

water proofs are a must though, if they had better weather Id go up north rather than over the water next year.

Best advice is to go steady there are a lot of places you can get carried away with the throttle but you will miss loads

• 3 weeks later...

if your returning via the a82 try go round the three lochs, i used to be a tour bus driver and that area is a must as well as a nice little road known as the rest and be thankfull,its just a detour off the A82 and takes you back on the A82 and you get cracking views over the three lochs as well as a good run round the twisties.

also a few hotels that do lunches etc for tourists and bikers etc if you want a detailed map and where to go if you wanna try this drop me a line nearer the time and ill get you the route.

im now a truck driver in scotland and the A9 is famous for speedtraps as well as the loads of gatsos all over it.

scenery is cracking but its usually cold and nearly always wet but dont let that put you off and defo take a camera

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one mate you will not regret this!!!

Are you riding through Glasgow or Stirling?

The route through Glasgow can be altered slightly to take in more scenery.

You could try riding through Glasgow to Greenock boarding the ferry to Dunoon and riding up to Oban that way.

It is fairly straightforward and well signposted.

The roads are unbelievably good and the scenery is outstanding I assure you.

If you are travelling through Stirling then you will have to take in the Trossachs which are out of this world though busier as it encompasses the west Highland walks meaning more tourist coaches etc..

A must and I mean must road to travel is the Great Glen Road over Glencoe.

Plenty of overtaking places and some tricky bends.

Awesome country. 8)

Thanks for the info folks we are going

Day1 Glasgow - A82 passed Loch Lomond -A85 to Oban

Day2 -Kyle of Lochalsh - Ullapool sticking to the coast roads.

Day3 -Durness -John O'Groats-Wick

Day4 -Inverness - Loch Ness - Fort William.

Day5 -Glen Coe - Rivvi Barn (Lancashire) Home :lol: :lol:

on day 1 if you wanna see the 3 lochs when your on the A82 follow the signs for garelochead,its a left turn from the A82

stay on that rd till you get to a roundabout where you can only go left or right.

left is faslane naval base so you wanna go right,stay on that rd enjoy the scenery and youll eventually end up back on the A82 (unless you turn off somewhere)

Me and the missus had a few days up in Scotland last year for our anniversary, the A82 through Glen Coe and round Loch Lomond is an awesome stretch of road, stunning scenery all around you'll love it! We stayed at a veyr friendly B&B down the road from Loch Ness in Invergarry. If You're interested I can dig up the name of the place.

Thanks for the info folks we are going

Day1 Glasgow - A82 passed Loch Lomond -A85 to Oban

Day2 -Kyle of Lochalsh - Ullapool sticking to the coast roads.

Day3 -Durness -John O'Groats-Wick

Day4 -Inverness - Loch Ness - Fort William.

Day5 -Glen Coe - Rivvi Barn (Lancashire) Home :lol: :lol:

Fantastic whatever the weather.

Have a great time dude 8)

• 4 weeks later...

you have to visit the Spean Bridge Memorial and the pub which has a museum behind it of Commando training during their inception during the WW2 well worth the effort and it is just up the road from Fort William.

Also don't forget a stop off at Loch Ness ;) we have some great photos but I cannot post a link just yet...

hello

You really need to do stirling to tindrum to glen coe to oban. We call it scot norburgring.

Briil.

Dalveen pass a wee must too, or beef tub road moffat, or st marys loch rd, moffat!!

If you pass up this way chez' cofee shop always open and many bikers stop by. A cracking place in Lockerbie to stay is Kings arms, has huge garage for bikes.

Hope to see ya :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...