CBT advise needed (125cc) Newbie.

Hello guys!

Hello, now i have recently joined the forum's in the battle to find advise which could possibly help me.

Now i am looking about trying out for a CBT around april/may, the reason why i want to do it around then is because i am wanting to be able to afford everything if i pass the test, including helm/protective gear, a second hand bike, tax,insurance and tests.

Now my current concern is the CBT, i honestly don't know much at all about bike's but would like to get started on a 125cc, reason behind this is i am fed up with commuting for 2 hour's at 5am, just to get to work which is a 20 minute drive away.

The thing's i would really like to know which i have not been able to find is:

How many hour's does the test consist off?

Is it a pass/fail on the day or is it like driving where you must take lesson's?

Will starting on a geared 125cc be too difficult for some-one who want's something and will do almost anything?

Do you do your theory pre or after doing your CBT?

The thing's i would really like to know which i have not been able to find is:

How many hour's does the test consist off?

Roughly 5-6 Hours. Its a full day, 2 hours theory, an hour on the carpark, minumum 2 hours on the road. it can vary depending on how many people are doing it and how well you do

Is it a pass/fail on the day or is it like driving where you must take lesson's?

Youi cannot fail a CBT. When you reach an acceptable standard, you pass. some people take 1 day, some take 2, very few take more, it depends if you have much road sense already (i.e. have you been driving for years in a car? If so, its easier as you understand the basic rule of driving)

Will starting on a geared 125cc be too difficult for some-one who want's something and will do almost anything?

Not sure what you're getting at? I learnt on a geared 125 for my CBT, then went onto bigger bikes. Either you do a 50cc scooter if you're going that route (I really wouldnt) or you do a 125cc. Once you've had a bit of practice it isnt as hard as you think.

If you're not sure, find a local bike school (or one with a good reccomendation) call them, and arrange to go down and have a chat. They can talk you through all your concerns. You can also google 'Get On' its a free scheme to encourage new bikers, and gives you a 1 hour taster session at selected bike schools, it might be worth having a go and seeing how you feel.

Do you do your theory pre or after doing your CBT?

There is no theory test for the CBT. The formal theory test is for you A2 or A class license (bigger bikes). You can take that whenever you want. I did my Theory before I even booked my CBT and other lessons

"Roughly 5-6 Hours. Its a full day, 2 hours theory, an hour on the carpark, minumum 2 hours on the road. it can vary depending on how many people are doing it and how well you do"

Interesting that's great to know.

"You cannot fail a CBT. When you reach an acceptable standard, you pass. some people take 1 day, some take 2, very few take more, it depends if you have much road sense already (i.e. have you been driving for years in a car? If so, its easier as you understand the basic rule of driving)"

This is a good answer, i have never driven a car, but when i'm in the passenger seat, i have good awareness of my surroundings.

"Not sure what you're getting at? I learnt on a geared 125 for my CBT, then went onto bigger bikes. Either you do a 50cc scooter if you're going that route (I really wouldnt) or you do a 125cc. Once you've had a bit of practice it isnt as hard as you think."

Yes, answered my question without understanding it, i didn't want to start on a 50cc scooter.

"If you're not sure, find a local bike school (or one with a good reccomendation) call them, and arrange to go down and have a chat. They can talk you through all your concerns. You can also google 'Get On' its a free scheme to encourage new bikers, and gives you a 1 hour taster session at selected bike schools, it might be worth having a go and seeing how you feel."

This is very interesting, although i live in a small town, there are a few i will look at and give them a call when i receive my provisional when i send of for it at the end of the month, its just a standard provisional i want correct?

"There is no theory test for the CBT. The formal theory test is for you A2 or A class license (bigger bikes). You can take that whenever you want. I did my Theory before I even booked my CBT and other lessons"

This is interesting but i still do not some-how understand, so to pass you're CBT you don't have to do the £31 theory?

Thank you so much for this post given me some information, and would like to thank you, will just make sure all is right, can't wait to give it ago!

Hello buddy.

You don't have to do the theory test in order to do your cbt.

As for starting on a geared 125, do it! You won't regret it. I started out last year, I knew nothing about bikes, they have two wheels and are nothing like a car but riding a bike is something I've always wanted to do since young. I got to my CBT, and before I knew it it was the end of the day and I could ride about, sketchily but however I thought it was a personal achievement. I did Go back for some more time on the bike before my road ride because I was really nervous - once out on the road it was so enjoyable!

Sorry for the life story but definitely start on a geared 125. Will be good practice for when you get your own.

One thing I would suggest is to read up on the highway code just so you have a good idea of how being on the road should work (two lads on my CBT had to come back because they hadn't a clue how the road worked, however as I had a car licence for 2 years - the difference showed)

Chris

I ended up doing three cbts, due to time expiring, and not being in a position to do my tests.

The first was a nightmare, I just couldn't get the clutch control, or the gears, and so they put me on a 50cc scoot. Their yard was set up with mock junctions, and roads, and all sorts of roadsigns. I didn't complete it that day, as they didn't think I was confident enough to go out on the road, but I went back a second day and completed it then. Its not a test, but you do have to show a basic competence and safety on the road. Although I completed the cbt on a moped, it was still ok for me to ride a geared 125cc. I bought my first bike, a ybr 125, and pretty much taught myself to ride it. I lived on a quiet housing estate, so I just kept going round and round, practising the gears, practising life savers, junctions, and so on, until I got brave enough to go onto a main road and interacting with traffic, and built up from there. I then got a job which was a 30 mile round commute, so I was on all kinds of roads.

My cbt expired, so I did my cbt on a 125 down in Shrewsbury on holiday. I could ride the bike no problem, but the figure 8s, u turns were a bit of a disaster. Managed to scrape through in one day this time, so off I went again.

I then did my first DAS, at the time the test was just one on road test, and you had a u turn to do, which was done on a quiet side street. Put my foot down didn't I, which was classed as loss of control. A serious fault, so I failed. I was devastated, but I still had my cbt, and my bike, so I was still ok to ride around.

Fast forward another year, my cbt was due to expire again, by now I'd moved to Scotland on a job transfer. This time, I walked my cbt, u turns were perfect, figure 8's i could do in my sleep, and I did it on my own bike, so I knew the bike and its little quirks. It was one of the few bike training days I actually enjoyed.

After that, I was finally able to do my test again, which by now were the whole mod 1, mod 2 stuff. Passed them both without a single minor.

As for your theory, you don't need it to do your cbt, but you will need it and the cbt to do your tests, along with a provisional licence, both the card part and paper counterpart.

This is great to know!

Thank you guy's so much!

And you don't have to say sorry for giving a story on what you did, it's why i'm here to learn about other peoples experiences and learn what problem's i could face while doing my tests.

Yes i will most certainly learn on the highway code for sure, i could use a standard car one coulden't i? as my best friend is currently undergoing driving lesson's he has a few book's which i could borrow as i see him each workday.

Is there a dedicated you-tuber who can teach people how to ride a bike easy? i know this sound's weird because your not really learning watching but i can learn then what to do and what not to do!

Also sorry to hear about the serious fault on the u turn they seem weird.

good luck with your cbt...if you want to learn to ride properly, get proper lessons...trying to learn from you tube videos is a disaster waiting to happen,( search Bikermoofrommars posts :P)

Quick question which is rather important for me to know.

Rigger boots, not sure what else there called, are these suitable as a temporary boot's?

And will CBT centers accept applicants with these on?